Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should we ask over 60s to stay in?

(261 Posts)
kittylester Tue 20-Oct-20 19:17:57

Just that really. I think so.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 17:26:03

B9 I can't bear to watch that.
My grandmother is currently in a care home.
She was previously a resiliant, strong lady.
But she is now phoning me and other members of our family in absolute bits all hours of day and night.
I have no idea what to say to her.
It's an awful, awful situation.

B9exchange Fri 23-Oct-20 17:20:27

I would urge every one to watch this video of a care home resident absolutely pleading for help. This is what we are doing to people.

metro.co.uk/2020/10/22/care-home-resident-104-fights-back-tears-as-she-begs-to-see-family-again-13467009/

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 17:17:55

Blimey Mary. No, we've got nothing like that.
It's quite alarming.
As you are probably are aware through our past correspondence, DH is in the shielding category times two (various RA medication plus COPD) and I'm unable to leave the house.
Scotland sounds so superior.

Marydoll Fri 23-Oct-20 17:11:53

We have shielding info overload! Everytime I see text message, my heart sinks! It's never good news!
In saying that I'm very grateful for the support it affords.
This morning I had to phone Tesco about an item damaged on delivery.
The lovely, young man dealt with it and then advised me me when I could organise my Christmas delivery slot, as I was sheilding.
It has its advantages, though not many.?

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 17:06:18

shock

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 17:02:06

Marydoll cross posted.
We have had no shielding correspondence since April.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 17:00:57

Ah, yes.
It's handy to have a definite timeline of things to hand.

I didn't realise the shielding letters were so long!

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 17:00:33

Marydoll Scotland appear to be far more helpful than England regarding shielding information.
No surprise there though...

maddyone Fri 23-Oct-20 16:59:02

That’s okay MissAdventure I just got a bit confused.

Marydoll Fri 23-Oct-20 16:57:59

Miss A, re you asking why I'm keeping them? Force of habit. I have so many hospital appointments (or did, pre Covid), that I'm often asked by different consultants when various things happened or were diagnosed, so I keep the letters.

I like to compare each Shielding update with the previous one, to see what changes are afoot in hope of some improvement.
The last one was nine pages long! They tend to be quite depressing.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 16:57:15

Marydoll my particular favourite text message was the 'you are allowed to open a window' one, closely followed by the 'pack a hospital bag' one.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 16:48:28

Do you need to ever show the letter, Marydoll?

Marydoll Fri 23-Oct-20 16:38:43

I prefer to refer to either the multiple communications I receive from NHS Inform Scotland or go on the shielding website.
Tonight I'm expecting a text from the Govt shielding people and yet another letter within the next few days. So it goes on and on and on.....
I will need a filing cabinet soon to store them. ?

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 16:27:52

Marydoll oh I know! (as Sybil Fawlty would say, bless her).
It's driven me mad, people not understanding who the shielding were / are.
Even experienced journalists have misunderstood and spread disinformation.
The go-to person when discussing shielding was always a spokesperson from Age UK.
It's got nothing to do with age.

Marydoll Fri 23-Oct-20 16:16:49

People who are asked to shield are deemed to be clinically, extremely vulnerable, by a medical professional.

You can have health conditions, without having to shield.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 16:16:28

I understand Miss A, it all gets a bit too much sometimes at the moment.confusedflowers

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 16:13:35

I know that, ordinarily.
Just not today, it seems.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 16:06:18

Isolating is when you are contagious or possibly contagious.
Shielding is when you are a vulnerable individual due to health conditions.
IE more likely to catch it (immune suppressed) or more likely to be hospitalised.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 15:48:11

No, no. It was me who was wrong. blush
Sorry.

maddyone Fri 23-Oct-20 15:47:04

Is it? Maybe I’m wrong but I always thought isolating is to prevent possible transmission from the person who’s isolating to other people. I don’t quite understand who the ‘vulnerable individual’ is, is it the person who’s isolating or is it other people?

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 15:45:48

maddyone

I saw on SkyNews today that only 20% of people who are advised to stay at home and isolate actually do so. So 80% don’t comply, no wonder the virus is still spreading.

OMG! That is horrendous.
We haven't got a chance sad

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 15:43:54

Oh! I've got shielding and isolating mixed up.
Confused and bewildered these days.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 15:42:31

So much relies on everyone doing their bit, whatever their 'bit' might be.
Having said that, isolating is to protect a vulnerable individual, rather than stop the spread..

maddyone Fri 23-Oct-20 15:37:48

I saw on SkyNews today that only 20% of people who are advised to stay at home and isolate actually do so. So 80% don’t comply, no wonder the virus is still spreading.

Judy54 Fri 23-Oct-20 14:38:59

What's your view now kittylester as the latest news is that the staying in rule does not stop the virus as some people refuse to abide by them. How do you think they can be endorsed if people just continue to flaunt the rules?