Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - Keep Calm and Carry On

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Thu 22-Oct-20 13:14:46

Or to give it its full title , The Keep calm and carry on shielding crew.
Our forth thread. Who would have believed it.
Welcome all

Doodle Tue 05-Jan-21 21:28:27

Just lock up, tuck Jeeves under my arm ..,and off we go.
See you soon ?

Doodle Tue 05-Jan-21 21:27:54

All done and dusted.

Doodle Tue 05-Jan-21 21:27:10

Actually Bradfordlass there’s only 3 messages to go so I am starting our new thread now so we don’t lose anyone.

The new thread is called The Lockdown Gang - Indomitable Lobstars
Indomitable from a suggestion by you Bradfordlass and the Lobstars courtesy of a combination of Nortsat and Grammaretto I believe.
I did want to put Cherry’s lobster poster at the beginning but I couldn’t find a way to copy it.

Thank you all so much for your company on this thread.
Hope you’ll all find your way to the new place.
I’ve just got to tidy up here, Jeeves has been eating biscuits and there’s crumbs everywhere. ??

BradfordLass73 Tue 05-Jan-21 19:44:01

Only 5 more messages on this thread and we'll have to move house again.

Grammaretto Your poor Mil and you too. This sense of isolation, now made worse by total lockdown in UK, is physically and mentally debilitating.

Like you and dragonfly I've been wondering what it's all for, why the heck we bother but the fact is, this is life isn't it? Good or bad, we just have to put one foot in front of the other, grit our teeth and keep going.

I suspect this is what it was like during the war; that feeling of endless conflict and fear.
But they got through it - and so will we.

Of course it helps if you don't do what I did yesterday and try to tackle craft work which I optimistically and completely erroneously, believed I could still do.
These were the things which once made my life joyful and meaningful.
So of course, having failed, I felt more depressed than ever smile
As my mother used to say, 'You're a fool to yourself.'

When we move to a new home, I have a small project for those who care to participate but I'll wait until Doodle's made sure Jeeves has done all the cleaning and hung the curtains.

Meanwhile, 6th January is National Shortbread Day.

You are all in my thoughts. flowers

Doodle Tue 05-Jan-21 19:28:30

Panache I passed on your message to Soop’s kitchen and soop sends her best wishes back saying she hopes you both get the best medical care your can.
Glad MrP had a better night. How about you?

Grammaretto I can assure you my jigsaw painting is far from finished. I can only so a small amount at a time or my wrist aches to much but I am hoping to spend a bit more time on it soon. I am trying to sort out after Christmas and tidy up then I can get on with the painting.
Missedout ok let’s race and see who finishes first ?
Paintbrush and jigsaw piece at the ready.....Go. ?
What a lovely post to Gramaretto and how true.
You made me laugh about looking like John Wayne after coming off your exercise bike ?
Cheery Cherry how’s our Tigger today?

Missedout Tue 05-Jan-21 17:09:20

Dear Doodle, you said up thread, "I think Missedout will have finished her impossible jigsaw long before I have finished my painting."

I'm afraid I wouldn't bet on it! Have just taken the outside edge bits of the IMPOSSIBLE MYSTERY PUZZLE apart and started bits of them again! Also just received black felt jigsaw board (courtesy of Mr Bezos) so I can see what I'm doing.

Panache, I'm so glad you are getting the help you need. I think of you and Mr P often.

Also, Grammaretto, I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time too. I am full of admiration for your dignity on this thread. I'm also envious of your potting skills.

Mamissimo, thank you for the viewing tips. I sit on my exercise bike and binge watch. Sometimes I go too far! I look like John Wayne after a long day in the saddle if the video I've been watching is too absorbing grin.

Thinking of all you gangster-lobsters and hope that our new home is as comfortable and comforting as this one has been.

Panache Tue 05-Jan-21 13:28:50

How very kind of these dear ones on these various threads and I have also heard from Lins 1066 this very day,very amiss of me not to drop by Soop`s Kitchen,please do thank them for their kind thoughts dear Doodle...........I owe them a visit and promise to get around to it one of these days.
Another thread that is solid gold.

At least we are no longer just two weak voices crying in the wilderness,which will be pleasing news to you all I know.
Our Palliative Nurse has got such a lot of doors opened up,this very day my dear one`s Consultant,Oncology and various heads of departments are reviewing all his scans etc so later this week we should hear the planning for the near future.
It certainly helps ease our overwrought minds.

Sadly although working hard on various trials the pain relief remains such a problem.
Thankfully he managed a better night with sleep...........though is extremely groggy today after such a lot of medication.
But sure and slowly we are moving forward........for now.

Bless you all and I sincerely trust you are coping well and your horizons look brighter.
Just be extra vigilant out there.

Grammaretto Tue 05-Jan-21 13:28:37

Sorry about your wobble Dragonfly
I often wonder what we are doing here at all and then remember the DGC or communing with nature in Summertime. do I mean that?
Sounds a bit too sound of music

I am working my slow way through Queen's Gambit and will try Bridgerton. Thanks Mamissimo

Thanks too for asking after me and MiL. I asked about the vaccine but apparently she's classed as housebound so is in a queue.
She's only housebound till she's vaccinated.
Makes little sense.
I have no internet for some unknown reason so I'm using up data too quickly. It was working yesterday.
Doodle the jigsaw looks almost finished to me.

Doodle Tue 05-Jan-21 12:15:52

panache how are things going with you? I have promised to pass on good wishes to you from Grandmafrench. She was asking after you in Soop’s kitchen.

Doodle Tue 05-Jan-21 12:06:15

A long way to go ?

Doodle Tue 05-Jan-21 12:03:25

Grammaretto I am so sorry about your MIL. I wonder if it is stress that has brought this on. This latest lockdown will make it more difficult for people to attend funerals even in small numbers.
I cannot imagine how you are coping at the moment. Suffering the the loss of loved ones is the worst thing but to do so at a time when contact with family and friends is all but impossible just adds to the pain and loneliness . I wish we could help. It’s not much but I am sending you a cwtch. I find cherry’s word conveys more feeling than a hug.
I would love to see spot the pot when painted.
I am not into jigsaws as I have said before so instead I will send you a photo of my painting so you can see how I’m progressing. As you will see I have a long way to go. I think Missedout will have finished her impossible jigsaw long before I have finished my painting ?
Jan that must have been a relief knowing your DH has had his second jab.
Oh dragonfly a cwtch for you too. We will get through this somehow. Glad you are feeling a little brighter today.
Mamissimo it’s amazing what cheers us up isn’t it. How sensible to make beetroot the right shape ?
What is chitting potatoes ? I hope it doesn’t hurt them. ?
Yes, little Mattie Hancock keeps writing to my DH too. DH laughed when I told him what you do with yours.
I so agree with Queen's Gambit. Really different. I am enjoying that too. I’m afraid I binge watched Bridgerton so no more to watch.
Packed up the decorations yesterday and had a good tidy in the ‘shed’, our outside the front door cupboard. When you live in a flat, every inch counts so some ordered placement of things helps to cram more in keep it tidy.
Take care dear lobstars ?

Mamissimo Tue 05-Jan-21 10:32:31

Good morning all.....so glad I completed my seed order yesterday! I was thrilled, yes really thrilled, to discover a variety of beetroot that grows in a cylinder shape rather than a ball....that will be so much easier for processing! Jolly sensible.

Today I will begin chitting my potatoes and finishing the packing of the Christmas decorations so that I don't have time to spend on the drafted jigsaw. I am going to try to complete it by Easter......

Even though I live in a very rural spot it's already gone quiet....during the first lockdown the peace was wonderful but in the November one we noticed the peace didn't fall in the same way.

I believe they are changing the shielding guidance this time and new instructions are going to be sent out. I seem to be getting letters from little Mattie Hancock very frequently at the moment. Luckily they're compostable so yesterday's one won't have been completely wasted!

If you're in the market for entertainment I can recommend Queens Gambit on Netflix, and in common with a lot of other Gnetters I'm finding Bridgerton is a feast for the eye for many reasons. It reminds me of Georgette Heyer! I come over all fifteenish watching it. Mr M despairs.....

dragonfly46 Tue 05-Jan-21 09:18:20

So sorry to hear about your MiL Grammaretto. I hope the funeral takes place without mishap.

I had a major wobble yesterday and didn’t really see the point of carrying on but the sun is shining today.

Your DH was lucky Jan getting 2 jabs.

Jan16 Tue 05-Jan-21 09:11:05

Morning. Husband just back from second jab. He’s one of the lucky ones but he was very ill in the summer so probably that’s why he was called early. Very cold but dry in Norfolk today.
Grammaretto really feel for you being on your own in these dreadful times. It’s difficult enough when you’re living with a partner but at least there’s someone to talk too and just be there.
Hopefully the end is in sight although it could be a way off yet

Grammaretto Tue 05-Jan-21 09:02:45

Still room for one more on top!
Hi Lobstars,

What a day yesterday. The bad news keeps coming.
I phoned MiL 's house and was told that she has had another TIA so her DD called an ambulance. She wasn't admitted after the paramedics had checked her out.
Then ofcourse I felt more alone than ever.
They are making plans for grandpa's funeral next week but as wakes are now on the banned list, and travel so restricted, it looks as though it will be very small.
As for spot the pot, Doodle yes I will glaze her/him. Something cheery? The next one may be left unglazed and earthy.
I know how brave and stoical you all are so know you will take the new lockdown in your stride hobble
Carry on with the jigsaws and let's have a preview.

Doodle Mon 04-Jan-21 22:47:33

Do you glaze your spot pots Grammaretto? Are you going to plant your rose in it? ?

Grammaretto Mon 04-Jan-21 22:28:22

Spot indeed. I could call the pot, spot. I don't usually name pots but there could be a first. Doodle you are funny grin
Here is Spot 1. Spot 2 is begun.

BradfordLass73 Mon 04-Jan-21 21:49:57

Doodle grin

Doodle Mon 04-Jan-21 21:02:54

Jan good to hear your DH’s jab hasn’t caused any unwanted side effects.
Grammaretto could we see a photo of your planter?
Are you happy with the result or is it the Mark 1 version?

What I have just written reminds me of a story I read over 40 years ago. Little boy goes to school and tells the teacher he has a new baby brother. How lovely says teacher, and what is your baby brother’s name. Spot, replies the boy. Wise teacher just says that’s unusual. A little later the boy goes up to his teacher and says, sorry Miss, his names not Spot it’s Mark.
Have a good evening all ?

BradfordLass73 Mon 04-Jan-21 20:28:24

Nortsat every time you mention East London, I have such a pang of loneliness for my Vietnamese family. I miss them so much.

dragonfly It's a similar situation to yours with my Dil. A lovely person but it's clear she doesn't like me but then in 6 years we've only met a handful of times. She won't try to get to know me (as my son has urged) so what can you do?

Beautiful photos Doodle love the intruder smile

Wishing everyone a good day. flowers

Grammaretto Mon 04-Jan-21 14:44:02

I love your summery photos Doodle many thanks.
No mention of vaccine hereabouts not even for my 95yr old MiL.
Just dire warnings from our FM, Nicola. I'm glad your DH is having his Jan
Thanks for thinking of me Dragonfly It is hard being alone so much especially when going outside means putting your life at risk with either covid, or more likely, broken bones on the ice. I have wobbly times and feel very sorry for myself.
I went for a shortish walk with my walking friend, on the icy railway path but it was no fun. We found a car key dropped on the path and tried to look for the owner, unsuccessfully so have left it at the police station. You see how exciting my day is!

My cornice lady will resume tomorrow which feels a bit like getting back to a routine.

I finished my planter and have begun another one.

I love your slippers too Nortsat
Panache flowers and hugs.

Jan16 Mon 04-Jan-21 13:55:11

Doodle. No no side effects whatsoever but as Eric said “where there’s no sense there’s no feeling!”. But seriously he has been fine just waiting to see if he gets his second one tomorrow. And I am very impatiently waiting for mine!

Doodle Mon 04-Jan-21 12:46:09

Grammaretto you wanted some photos of summer.
I will look for some better ones but these are from my phone.
A view from the riverbank
The Long Garden at Cliveden
An interloper in the garden

Doodle Mon 04-Jan-21 12:17:47

Morning all. Overcast and grey here but I can sit and watch the small white gulls flying over the river. They congregate in numbers on the roof of our flats then swoop off together, first one way then the other. I could sit here and watch them for ages.......if I didn’t have the housework to do. ?
Cherry we love jacket potatoes too (the ones that I don’t burn). The skins are the best bits. The only time I peel a potato is if I am making mash the rest of the time I leave their skins on.
DH is doing better thank you. He is still walking with a frame as his balance is unpredictable at the best of times. I follow along behind ready to catch him at any given point.
How about you, have you been sleeping better?
Your mention of Bridgend brought back nice memories of my fathers brother and his family who lived there. We used to go and stay with them for family holidays.
I haven’t watched the serpent series yet. What do you think of it?
Grammaretto I too wonder how everyone is coping with children being at home. How people work from home and look after their children at the same time I can’t imagine.
When your oak forest starts shooting may we have a photo please?
Hello Jan, please let us know when it’s your birthday so we can drink a toast or three to you) wish you happy birthday.
Has your DH had any side effects from his jab?
Morning Nortsat, Missy and Ollie. Glad you are comfortable together. I love your slippers Nortsat So sleek and elegant. A mile or two is a good walk and well worth the effort. DH likes going for a walk every day. He is missing that at the moment.
I love your description of Mamissimo’s fairy ?
dragonfly I’m sorry you have these family difficulties. I didn’t take to my SIL when we first met, apart from the fact she took my dear brother from me ( I was 8. My brother much older ). We eventually became good and loving friends.
You can’t make people like each other but it’s a shame if your DIL spoils your DS’s chance to be with his sister.
Hope you are getting on ok.
Panache now the long Christmas and New Year break is over I hope more help comes your way. Tell MrP I think he’s a marvel for keeping his humour under the circumstances.
Hope all the gang-star lobsters (nice one Nortsat?) have a good day.

dragonfly46 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:13:12

Hallo fellow Lobsters ( love the poster - so apt).

I am hoping there is still enough space in the room to take my post. We will have to move soon!

I hope you morphine keeps doing its job Panache it is such a worry for you. Hopefully now things are getting back to normal you will get more support.

Of course I loved the Dragonfly brooch BradfordLass. I have many things with dragonflies on as everyone knows they are my favourite.

The 'happy, naked, mature fairy is wonderful Mammissimo.

I hope you DH is continuing to improve Doodle. We do communicate in the family with Whatsapp but unfortunately my DD and SiL are not included. My DiL does not really like my DD (long story) and has nothing in common with her as my DD chose not to have children. My DS loves his sister and spending time with her but DiL has charge of the social calendar. I find it hard sometimes and walk on eggshells around DiL although she can be very sweet and sends me numerous pictures of the children.

Grammaretto how are you getting on now things are settling down? I think of you often.

Sending best wishes to everyone.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion