Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Wales in Lockdown

(181 Posts)
Callistemon Fri 23-Oct-20 22:38:34

I can go into a supermarket and buy exotic fruit, vegetables from thousands of miles away, fizzy drinks, crisps, cream, chocolate, wine, spirits etc.

But I'm not allowed to buy a birthday card for my DGC because that is "non-essential".

AIBU if I think this is all somewhat bizarre?

Merryweather Sat 24-Oct-20 11:55:41

I was hoping during this time to move my little book shoo business online and away from the festivals and craft fairs/markets etc. Its not worked.
Christmas will be miserable.
Books and childrens entertainment during a lockdown are essential. I can see the gots don't want people dawdling around looking and trying to decide between makes and models of electrical items - however, if your cooker, fridge, washer breaks what are you supposed to do? These items are more essential than alcohol or call cigarettes but you can buy those freely because of taxation!

Yellowmellow Sat 24-Oct-20 12:01:34

I've bought all my birthday cards for close family plus a selection of cards for work colleagues up until March 2021 because l was worried something like this would happen. People's mental health is going downhill as it is without it getting a card on your birthday. Don't see the logic of some of these restrictions

Fernhillnana Sat 24-Oct-20 12:05:58

I don’t think alcohol and tobacco are essential. People won’t die if they don’t have them.

Callistemon Sat 24-Oct-20 12:13:10

EllanVannin

If everything is bought under the same roof I fail to see that it matters what you buy. I ignore " jobsworth " people at the best of times.

It's blocked off so you can't get to non-essentials, EllanVannin.

Callistemon Sat 24-Oct-20 12:14:53

Anniebach

Why should supermarkets sell goods that small shops sell but
have to close for two weeks.

I agree, Anniebach but why are small shops made to shut in an area where there are few cases and people were generally abiding by the rules??

sodapop Sat 24-Oct-20 12:19:45

That has been questioned here as well Callistemon there is a blanket curfew in a large number of Departements but many areas are very rural where the infection rate is low.
Back to printing off my forms to allow me to walk 1km from the house with the dogs !!!

Purplepoppies Sat 24-Oct-20 12:20:51

growstuff I was unable to buy birthday cards online from Tesco earlier in lockdown. Im not in Wales. Maybe its just my Tesco, although they do stock them in store ?

Rosalyn69 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:22:40

Last lockdown I bought birthday cards from Ocado.
I actually agree with the total two week lockdown. We just need to get on with it.

Riggie Sat 24-Oct-20 12:23:26

We were shielding during "Lockdown 1" which coincided with the time of year most of our family and close friends have birthdays. Scrambled round for all the odd unused blank cards from multipacks and then it cost me a fortune on moonpig!!

Fairyfeet Sat 24-Oct-20 12:24:32

I just read of a drive-in cinema in Chester that were erecting portable toilets for the use of the patrons. Unfortunately the border with Wales runs through the car park, so now the toilets have to be sited on the English side, and they are not sure if they can even have parked cars on the Welsh bit of the car park.

Plunger Sat 24-Oct-20 12:25:10

Since when was alcohol essential!

growstuff Sat 24-Oct-20 12:27:09

Purplepoppies

growstuff I was unable to buy birthday cards online from Tesco earlier in lockdown. Im not in Wales. Maybe its just my Tesco, although they do stock them in store ?

I just looked on my Tesco Online page to check. There's actually a better choice because my Tesco deliveries come from a superstore rather than my local shop. Maybe it does depend where you are.

GrannyRose15 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:28:36

We have all gone completely bonkers. Our children and grandchildren are going to curse us in the end for ruining the economy and reducing there life chances. We should all be ashamed of going along with this absurd over-reaction to a virus.

Callistemon Sat 24-Oct-20 12:28:43

It's NOT the birthday cards per se - it is the arbitrary decisions on what is and is not essential.

growstuff Sat 24-Oct-20 12:29:05

Plunger

It isn't, but South Africa imposed an alcohol ban. The black market was doing a roaring trade. Unfortunately, some people have died from drinking home-made alcohol.

GrannyRose15 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:30:35

Plunger

Since Noah left the ark.

growstuff Sat 24-Oct-20 12:31:35

GrannyRose15

We have all gone completely bonkers. Our children and grandchildren are going to curse us in the end for ruining the economy and reducing there life chances. We should all be ashamed of going along with this absurd over-reaction to a virus.

Two weeks won't have much effect on the economy. If everybody complies (and that's a big "if"), the economy is more likely to be back to some kind of normality sooner than if things are allowed to drift.

Anniebach Sat 24-Oct-20 12:33:51

Callistemon because Wales is in lockdown not just some areas as we recently had and didn’t work did it ?

Numbers were low in Powys but only cottage hospitals here,
this means South Powys went to South Wales hospitals , think of Llantrisant hospital. Where I live it means Prince Charles in
Merthyr or Neville Hall in Abergavenny

Barmeyoldbat Sat 24-Oct-20 12:33:55

GrannyRose15 we are not reducing anybodies life chances and this is not any over-reaction by any means. We are talking about restrictions for a 2 week period in Wales, a small amount of time to save lives

Callistemon Sat 24-Oct-20 12:36:48

Anniebach I had to go to Nevill Hall the other week - I was very nervous but it was practically deserted in the Outpatients areas.

jane1956 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:38:51

as soon as the national lockdown finished I bought a years worth of b'day and anniversary cards so as not to get caught out again

Anniebach Sat 24-Oct-20 12:53:21

Callistemon a chap here fell and hurt his wrist, he was sent to Neville Hall who sent him to Blaenau for X rays, fracture in a bone, he was sent to Newport for small op ! ! ! !

Beechnut Sat 24-Oct-20 12:54:15

I read on tv the other day that Welsh ministers haven’t ruled out a Firebreak lockdown early 2021. It looks like it might be a case of shopping for what you want in between lockdowns for the foreseeable future.

Aepgirl Sat 24-Oct-20 12:58:11

I was listening on the radio this morning about this ‘non-essential goods’ ban.
It seems that some supermarkets are taking it to the extreme.
My local Sainsbury’s won’t sell Remembrance poppies because they are made from paper, but will sell newspapers!

Vickysponge Sat 24-Oct-20 13:05:28

Nanof3

The Welsh windbag is on an ego trip as is Mrs Krankie up north.

Haha! Yes.