Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Wales in Lockdown

(180 Posts)
Callistemon Fri 23-Oct-20 22:38:34

I can go into a supermarket and buy exotic fruit, vegetables from thousands of miles away, fizzy drinks, crisps, cream, chocolate, wine, spirits etc.

But I'm not allowed to buy a birthday card for my DGC because that is "non-essential".

AIBU if I think this is all somewhat bizarre?

Chewbacca Fri 23-Oct-20 22:57:50

No Callistemon I don't think you're being unreasonable, particularly if you are in a supermarket that sells birthday cards and you're in there doing your normal weekly shop.

Niobe Fri 23-Oct-20 23:00:33

It’s a great way to drive buyers towards Amazon at the expense of real shops. Way to go Welsh government!

TwiceAsNice Fri 23-Oct-20 23:01:57

That is just ridiculous don’t they think it is “essential” for children to get a birthday card from their family! These extra rules about what you can buy are bizarre. If you are doing a supermarket shop what does it matter what you are putting in your trolley?

TwiceAsNice Fri 23-Oct-20 23:03:15

As someone who doesn’t now live in Wales , but am proud to be Welsh born this is the kind of thing to be mocked for

Callistemon Fri 23-Oct-20 23:08:51

I can't follow the reasoning, unless it is to protect small stationers.
However, if they are forced to close anyway, it won't protect them, will it!

As someone asked on the local news this evening - is a newspaper or a book essential or non-essential? I need a new toaster so at least I can order one from the Big River Company. Sorry - I don't need one. It's non-essential, I can live without crumpets to toast even though I'm allowed to buy them.

merlotgran Fri 23-Oct-20 23:12:10

It's bonkers!

All these so called non essential goods are under the same roof as those that are deemed essential so if your kettle has conked out you have to go home and order one from Amazon.

When you need something it's essential.

Callistemon Fri 23-Oct-20 23:12:24

At least we bought new printing inks yesterday - I could design and print a birthday card.
?

B9exchange Fri 23-Oct-20 23:28:22

I'm sure your DGC will be thrilled with a home made card. The world has gone mad.

Callistemon Fri 23-Oct-20 23:38:22

Yes, I'm sure she will and there's always Moonpig or other online cards.
It just seems quite ludicrous that parts of shops will be fenced off but we can buy non-essential food and drink.

Of course, they may have to barricade the chocolate behind a security fence.

Oopsminty Fri 23-Oct-20 23:59:05

It's crazy!

And who decided what is essential and what isn't.

As Kay Burley mentioned on Sky News, her hairdryer was an essential. The chap tried to say it wasn't. But it is!

And surely a birthday card is essential especially one for a child!

And yes, you can get anything you want from Amazon and cards from Moonpig and the like but that's not the point.

And you're taking money away from Welsh shops to line the already heavy pockets of Amazon

It's madness!

BlueSky Sat 24-Oct-20 00:09:32

Some items won’t be sold in supermarkets to be fair to the retail shops that have had to close for the two weeks lockdown. Not sure why those ‘non essential shops’ have to close though.

MawB2 Sat 24-Oct-20 06:57:24

Drake ford seems to have totally lost the plot! And Amazon will be laughing all the way to the bank.
From this morning’s DT

CHILDREN’S toys and clothes have been deemed “non-essential” and banned from sale in shops by the Welsh government, as the country entered a second national lockdown last night.

Hundreds of businesses have been told to shut, and those that can remain open to sell only “essential” items, in a move described by Conservatives as “control freakery gone mad”.

During the original lockdown only shops deemed “essential”, such as supermarkets and hardware stores, were allowed to open, but there was no regulation of what items could be bought. Heavy-handed shopping basket “snooping” by some police forces was criticised by the government.
However this time -
Electrical goods, clothes, toys, furniture, bedding and products for the garden have been cordoned off or removed from superstores, but groceries, batteries, rubber gloves, light bulbs and alcohol are allowed to be sold

Bedding and children’s toys or clothes? It’s nearly November - what if your child needs new wellies, has outgrown his or her warm coat, or, locked down on a wet day, you think maybe a jigsaw could be added to you shopping?
And apparently Gloucestershire police will be “patrolling the border” to check on offenders driving over to the Forest of Dean on clandestine shopping rips. You couldn’t make it up.
Honestly - how to alienate the population.
Drakeford’s intentions may be good - this will end in tears.

Beechnut Sat 24-Oct-20 07:13:19

I’ve just been reading Check point Wales on Gloucestershire Live. It’s about a trip down the Wye Valley.

sodapop Sat 24-Oct-20 08:34:43

46 million people under curfew here in France. We are not allowed out between 9pm and
6 am unless for one of a few specific reasons. We have to take a signed and dated form with us when we walk the dogs 1km from the house last thing at night.

BlueSky Sat 24-Oct-20 08:45:36

Goodness me Sodapop! They love their bits of paper in Europe don’t they? We are not so bad here then, when the curfew in the UK? Won’t make any difference to me anyway.

Anniebach Sat 24-Oct-20 08:47:49

No difference buying from Amazon or Tesco

growstuff Sat 24-Oct-20 09:35:53

You can buy birthday cards from Tesco online.

Anniebach Sat 24-Oct-20 09:43:18

Yes but you don’t have to walk past a closed card shop to buy a card from a Tesco store

BlueSky Sat 24-Oct-20 09:50:36

How come alcohol and cigarettes are ‘essential items’? Because they know they would have riots on their hands!

Anniebach Sat 24-Oct-20 10:04:06

Cigarettes and alcohol are addictions

Gilmul Sat 24-Oct-20 10:19:25

No it is weird ! The big supermarkets have been selling clothes/homeware etc the whole way through yet little businesses have had to close their doors ! It’s the little guys who won’t have the means to reopen again. So many dreams and livelihoods obliterated....

Anniebach Sat 24-Oct-20 10:22:43

Small grocery shops are open

Mollygo Sat 24-Oct-20 10:24:13

Even in the first lockdown we could buy cards, make-up, magazines, books and even clothes if the supermarket sold them. I haven’t noticed any difference at Sainsbury’s this time, even though we’re in tier 3. I could even buy a hallowe’en mask if I wanted.

Callistemon Sat 24-Oct-20 10:38:08

BlueSky

Some items won’t be sold in supermarkets to be fair to the retail shops that have had to close for the two weeks lockdown. Not sure why those ‘non essential shops’ have to close though.

And apparently Gloucestershire police will be “patrolling the border” to check on offenders driving over to the Forest of Dean on clandestine shopping trips. You couldn’t make it up.

And Gwent Police waiting on the Welsh side as they did last time, questioning people who may just have exceeded the 5 mile journey limit by nipping round through England.
We have to travel out of Wales, through England and back over the border to get to the supermarket. A friend's house is in England but most of her garden and drive is in Wales.