Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Stocking up?

(93 Posts)
Esspee Mon 02-Nov-20 07:30:22

Although we are not at the same stage of lockdown as Wales and shortly England it does seem inevitable that Scotland will follow. I thought about what I would miss most if non essential shops closed and as a result now have enough hair colouring to last until next year.

What are you going to stock up on?

Jaxjacky Mon 02-Nov-20 14:39:16

Nope, normal here, nothing extra.

Esspee Mon 02-Nov-20 14:40:29

I was expecting to hear about non essential items being purchased like nipsmum mentioning wool.
What I wasn’t expecting was all this food stockpiling. After our last lockdown when the only shortages were caused by panic buying surely nobody expects to be unable to get food?

Georgesgran Mon 02-Nov-20 14:44:37

I think I’m a bit of a hoarder too - I have a ‘one on the go and a couple in reserve’ mentality. What I hate are the dark nights and the manic (maniac?) Christmas shoppers, so I’ve always bought enough cleaning materials and certain dry goods to get me from mid November to early January - only needing to venture out for fresh stuff as and when. I don’t consider it panic buying, just being sensible for the time of year.

Missiseff Mon 02-Nov-20 14:45:43

Why stock up on essential items when shops selling them aren't closing? Ridiculous

tanith Mon 02-Nov-20 14:46:20

I’m not stocking up, what for? All the shops are open as usual and receiving normal deliveries what is wrong with people carrying on as normal as possible? Don’t panic! I’ll do my normal shop later in the week.

Summerlove Mon 02-Nov-20 15:01:44

Stocking up over a few months is the direct opposite of panic buying.

How do people still not understand that?

BlueBelle Mon 02-Nov-20 15:41:46

Panic buying and stockpiling are just about the same thing and what ever excuse reason you give brexit ?? COVID Christmas or anything else it is a selfish way of working
no wonder people panic buy because they know others are stock piling one plays into the other
Just act with some decorum there is nothing wrong with buying an extra tin of this or that but boxes under the bed or in the spare room is just a wee bit selfish and not very helpful to the situation in my opinion
Sharing is a nicer way to go

crimpedhalo Mon 02-Nov-20 15:42:14

Summerlove

Stocking up over a few months is the direct opposite of panic buying.

How do people still not understand that?

exactly ☝️

LinkyPinky Mon 02-Nov-20 15:46:50

Missiseff

Why stock up on essential items when shops selling them aren't closing? Ridiculous

Because there is a vicious, deadly and highly infectious disease which is now known to be spread by airborne particles disseminated by people gathering in indoor spaces such as shops. By stocking up, we can minimise the number of times we need to shop and therefore help minimise the spread of the virus. Supermarkets can easily restock. Vulnerable older people not so much

Bluecat Mon 02-Nov-20 15:48:20

The only thing I would stock up on, if I could, is medication. It's not the lock down that worries me in this case, it's Brexit. I have been concerned, ever since the referendum, about the possible disruption to the supply of medicines from the EU. Now someone in the government - can't remember which particular nitwit, might have been Michael Gove - has said that he can't guarantee that there won't be a shortage.

As well as getting the tablets I need for my own health, I am worried that it has been said that it may be difficult to get insulin. My ex-SIL has Type 1 diabetes, my friend has Type 2,and both are insulin dependent. They can't manage without it.

So I would hoard medication if I could but it's not possible to order more than a month's supply at a time. A good thing in the usual way, as people shouldn't hoard medicines, but I still wish I could do it even though I know I shouldn't.

Frankly, Brexit worries me more than the lock down where any sort of possible shortage is concerned. The shops still managed to get stock during the last lock down. Not sure that that will happen if stuff is rotting in lorries around Dover.

Cambia Mon 02-Nov-20 15:54:30

We have a fourteen mile trip to the nearest shops so are always stocked up! I have bought more than I usually would because when we had to quarantine for a fortnight after being on lockdown In Greece, I couldn’t get any supermarket delivery slots. My cupboards and freezers are full and if I don’t have to shop until Xmas that is a bonus!

Greciangirl Mon 02-Nov-20 16:27:59

I am absolutely disgusted seeing in the newspapers pictures of shoppers with their trolleys loaded to the gills with packs of toilet paper and milk.

Greedy b.....ds.
Shops should limit it to two packs per person, but they won’t do that until it’s too late, as usual.

maddyone Mon 02-Nov-20 16:41:27

We will shop as usual as we did last time.

Why are people making Brexit boxes? What goes into them? Should I be preparing a Brexit box? If so, what should I put into it? I’m perplexed!

Hetty58 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:45:00

kwest, I disagree with your:

'A clean , calm, well organized home impacts positively on the mental health of the people living there'

Oh no it doesn't, (not for me) - if you were brought up (and tortured) by a mother with anxiety and OCD. It was all about being organised and prepared - for what, exactly, I really don't know.

I think most of the Christmas stockpiling and panic buying is driven by anxiety. When you think about it, though, there is very little that we can't do without and most things can be substituted.

I have a permanent horror of overly tidy rooms, so if/when I dust, hoover and clean a room now, I simply can't leave it tidy. It's too formal and unfriendly.

I have to put a few books or cushions on the floor, maybe throw a blanket on a chair, anything to mess it up a bit!

farview Mon 02-Nov-20 16:47:07

This is the loo roll aisle in massive Tesco

farview Mon 02-Nov-20 16:48:16

My son just sent me that photo...selfish ,stupid people..

Kate1949 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:48:55

I've just seen over the road neighbours going in with at least 5 large packs of toilet rolls angry

grannyrebel7 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:49:16

I haven't got the stocking up gene. I just can't do it! I'm going to carry on as normal and hope for the best as per normal.

maddyone Mon 02-Nov-20 16:51:09

Good gracious farview, maybe there’s a tummy bug in your area grin

Summerlove Mon 02-Nov-20 16:52:30

BlueBelle

Panic buying and stockpiling are just about the same thing and what ever excuse reason you give brexit ?? COVID Christmas or anything else it is a selfish way of working
no wonder people panic buy because they know others are stock piling one plays into the other
Just act with some decorum there is nothing wrong with buying an extra tin of this or that but boxes under the bed or in the spare room is just a wee bit selfish and not very helpful to the situation in my opinion
Sharing is a nicer way to go

So my buying 1 extra box of pasta or tin of something monthly is the same as a person who clears the shelf to you?

That’s the difference between stocking and panicking.

I wonder, do you practice as you preach and only have enough on hand for today’s meal? Other wise you are in fact “stock piling” ???

Tweedle24 Mon 02-Nov-20 17:11:37

If one is in the fortunate financial position to be able to stock up, go ahead. Never mind those poor people on a very tight budget who can only afford to shop once a week and will find nothing left in the shops.

Tweedle24 Mon 02-Nov-20 17:12:34

Substitute panic buying for stocking up.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 02-Nov-20 17:22:37

I started a Brexit domesday stash ages ago. Just one or two extra things a week such as pasta and tins of things. For this latest lockdown, I will carry on as normal with my usual list with maybe an extra bottle of Martini added! I was hoping to do some Christmas shopping this week for my Antipodean relatives. I will do it on line instead.

BlueSky Mon 02-Nov-20 18:05:45

I can understand stocking up for lockdown, to avoid shopping when there could be lots of people, items out of stock or we could be unwell and unable to go out, but stocking up for Brexit?

PamelaJ1 Mon 02-Nov-20 18:33:38

There are people who suffer from an excess of anxiety and fear.
Not me thank goodness, I believe what the supermarkets, farmers etc. have been saying.
There is enough for everyone. The only problem is the distribution of goods. If everyone bought what they normally buy there would be no problem.
But they don’t so there is.