Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New days, new ways

(110 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 08:00:34

Listening to the various scientists, it would seem that our lives are not going to be the same for quite some time into the future - if at all.

So I’m trying to work out how and what I am going to fill the many gaps that this new normality has.

It seems that theatre, crowded spaces, Christmas fairs, indoor events, restaurants, public travel will be something we will continually avoid.

I think it is important for mental health to work out a new norm.

So far we’ve come up with

Every fine day take picnic and walk! Enjoy our countryside.

Holidays in cottages so that we can avoid indoor people, like hotels etc.

Step up gardening and crafty stuff for inclement days.

Bit stuck now☹️

kwest Mon 02-Nov-20 10:14:05

1)Get organizing projects at home underway.
2)Clear out drawers
3) Get end of year books ready for accountant

Parsley3 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:14:24

sodapop

The Foundling Museum sounds interesting Riverwalk I've not heard of it before, tell me more please.

I visited this days before the original lockdown. Keep it in mind to go and take plenty of tissues because the foundling stories are heartbreaking.
Back to the OP. I don’t really sew but I have been making masks and I now want to learn how to do something adventurous, like appliqué, with the sewing machine.
I will need an idiot’s guide for that though.

maddyone Mon 02-Nov-20 10:16:19

Iam64 I’m so sorry you lost your dog, but yes, a new puppy will bring you lots of joy and keep you busy.
Like Riverwalk I enjoyed travel, theatre visits, cinema visits, sometimes museums or exhibitions, meals out, and we did a lot of childcare, and built school holidays around our grandchildren. Weekends were full of family, barbecues, and shared dinners in the cold weather. I also look after my 93 year old mother, taking her to her many medical appointments, doing shopping for her or sometimes taking her shopping.
I haven’t really adjusted to the idea that life will never be the same. I’m living in hope of a vaccine. Sometimes the lack of a seeable future, filled with theatre visits, meals out, travel etc makes me feel very low and I feel the black hole looming. I carry on taking my antidepressants and carry on hoping.

Juliet27 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:17:46

I went to The Foundling Museum many years ago Riverwalk. It’s very moving. I hope it won’t be too long before you can visit.

Oopsminty dogs are such a comfort aren’t they, I too have a JR who is a real friend. As Puzzler suggests, there are many dogs in need of loving homes ...they give so much love back.

Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:20:33

I wouldn't be without our cat Baz. His quiet, calm companionship, cuddliness and loud purring are balm to the soul.

Susieq62 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:21:55

I have decided to do a workout every morning as I did with Joe Wicks!! We shall go out for the day if the weather is good, if not we shall go out for a local walk! I am trying to learn Italian, listen to drama in the radio, write my memories of 2020, write to friends as a card or letter us so valued! Book group, choir and WI on zoom plus housework , gardening and trying to cook one new recipe a week! Reading is ok and TV at about 8pm is enough ! Good luck everyone as life if holidays abroad, theatre trips, swimming , walking netball, cinema and eating out are off the agenda for us!! We shall try to keep exploring our local area as well

Cabbie21 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:22:15

I do Zoom choirs which really lift the sprit, though it is not the same as singing with others. One of my choirs has an online learning programme which I have allowed to lapse, so I must get stuck in with that.
I have also restarted voluntary work from home. I can choose when I work, but some sort of routine would be good.

CatterySlave1 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:23:09

I think it’s definitely about keeping busy and mentally active during this time. Building a routine. Why not join the local WI who are doing online meetings or learn something at the U3A or local online courses at the council/Inspire website? Set up weekly catch up cuppa sessions with some friends online via zoom and enjoy a group chat? Keeps the brain busy.
Personally if I’m climbing the walls on a bad day we might go out locally for a drive and a car picnic or flask and sandwiches eaten in the car in front of the local football pitch etc. Any crumbs is another job to do on a fine day. Or set yourself various things to research online for a possible future holiday or mythical trip of a lifetime? Or research new recipes and have a different international country’s dish each week? Whatever sparks your imagination I guess. This time could be a blessing if we look for the silver linings.

BusterTank Mon 02-Nov-20 10:25:09

I have a jig saw on the go . Knitting blankets for the special baby care unit . I have several books lined up to read . Christmas films are coming on the telly . I don't think there's much more I can fit in .

kircubbin2000 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:26:48

When I moved here the only activities I found were tennis swimming and a church group. No eating out or theatre as I live alone .Tennis is still going but will stop soon when it gets colder. I try to walk 3 times a week and did meet a friend for coffee but that has stopped as we are in a lockdown here,no hospitality or pubs.
I find the day goes in so quickly now. By the time I have got the papers and had my coffee I watch Phil and Holly and after lunch do a short meditation which sends me to sleep!
I spend a lot of time here or on local sites and have several puzzles and novels waiting. I usually cook a batch of something to freeze for dinners and for company I have my new cat who worries me quite a bit as he disappears for hours and only comes back when he feels like it.

dragonfly46 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:30:33

I shall be having Radiotherapy every day for the next 3 weeks so that will take up some time and I am told after that I will probably want to sleep for a week! Maybe when I come too it will all be over.

I was lucky in the last lockdown when hairdressers were closed as I didn't have any hair grin

inishowen Mon 02-Nov-20 10:34:27

I've been knitting a lot since March. I now have a huge box of baby cardigans, hats etc., My dilemma now is what to do with it. I want to give it to needy families but how do I find them?

Parsley3 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:34:37

dragonfly I hope the treatment goes well. Take care. ?

marionk Mon 02-Nov-20 10:45:52

This is certainly a time to be a WI member as they have masses of cheap online sessions on from history to craft, from cooking to genealogy, mornings, afternoons and evenings.

Armoria Mon 02-Nov-20 10:47:08

I'm presuming many of us on here have friends and loved ones we can still talk to by phone or social media, sadly however there are a number of our age group that are not so lucky. If you are struggling to find something to fill empty hours consider seeking out an organisation that offers a befriending service and volunteer to be a telephone or letter befriended. Someone might be very glad to have a chat with you and you might just be the only person they have spoken to in days. Conversation shouldn't be that hard as you'd be of the same or nearly generation and so there should be plenty of common topics to discuss. Alternatively if you have Zoom you could start up a discussion circle. Each member takes it in turn to research a given topic then gives a short presentation about it. Afterwards circle members discuss the topic. Back in the 70's I belonged to something called The National Housewives Register. These were basically discussion groups set up to give housewives a chance to meet up and have adult conversation about anything that wasn't related to home and children. We met once a fortnight I think and venue was on a rota of members houses. Really enjoyed this and no reason why a zoom version can't be done. Certainly would pass the time and broaden your horizons.

SillyNanny321 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:05:29

Living on my own & again being unable to see Family & Friends is something I am not looking forward to! Just thankful that I have my little cat. She was my life over the last Lockdown & will be again! I do have my grumpy old man tortoise but he is not a great conversationist or cuddler! Would read but have a cataract that needed doing months ago hampering my sight!
Having said all that there are many who do not have as much as I do. I really hope that they can get through Lockdown!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:07:11

inishowen

I've been knitting a lot since March. I now have a huge box of baby cardigans, hats etc., My dilemma now is what to do with it. I want to give it to needy families but how do I find them?

Maybe ask your local food bank?

Rosalyn69 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:11:38

It’s nice to see positivity.
We are in week 2 of our lockdown and as Nanny says ask yourself what you should do rather than what you can do as regards controlling the virus.
I’m taking each day as it comes. Some days are lazy and done are busy. The dog gets walked. We have enough food. It’s a kind of contentment for as long as it takes.

Buntie123 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:19:04

what a lovely thread xx weve been watching christmas films n channel 5 on rainy afternoons, luckily for me havent watched them before, too busy being at work

Picnics are a great idea, still with the good oldfashioned flask, going to fill with mulled wine and fruit if we are still in lockdown at christmas xxx

Cuckoo22 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:20:39

I live alone. Don’t have family. Friends are in bubbles with their families. I’ve no pets. I tried to adopt a dog, but all the rescue centres are telling me I can’t. This new lockdown terrifies me. If there was a definite end it wouldn’t be so bad, but listening to Michael Gove it sounds like there’s every change they are already planning to extend it.
Might as well give up now. No life.

JaneRn Mon 02-Nov-20 11:21:32

Some really good suggestions here and it is not difficult to keep your self busy but I feel sorry for people perhaps living on their own in a small flat with not even a balcony. Those of us who have a house and a garden are lucky.

The people I really feel sorry for are the youngsters who are probably never going to experience what we had. I was 28 when I got married, and before that had never sat at home every evening, quite the opposite in fact!

moobox Mon 02-Nov-20 11:27:21

Joint projects are good. I have been doing something online with my sister every day since April. In Spring we educated ourselves by identifying flowers on our walks using Plantsnap and shared one each day. I ended up putting them into a photobook. In August it was a sharing of favourite artworks: artuk.org/discover/curations/sisters-in-lockdown. September saw us carry on with that but tongue in cheek , matching art to news items: artuk.org/discover/curations/remember-september
October was to share something about our day and I found out loads about the history of the town I live in by having to share stuff.
WEA courses are also good to join in with others safely.

Luckylegs Mon 02-Nov-20 11:27:48

Is that right that we can’t stay overnight anywhere in England? I haven't heard that. My husband’s aunt has died in Dorset, a long way from us in north Lancashire. She was just about his only relative and he’s been asked to say a eulogy at the funeral next week. We’ve booked a hotel for two nights. So, can we go and stay? It’s too far to drive back the same day and obviously we hoped to have a little break from the relentless rain up here after travelling to far. You can go to funerals, can’t you?

graykat Mon 02-Nov-20 11:31:59

I've started to write a memoir for the family. I wanted to have something positive to show for these months and realised that when I go, all these memories go with me. When I was researching family history, I would have loved a diary or journal from a grandparent. What we take for granted now will be of interest a hundred years hence.

JaneRn Mon 02-Nov-20 11:39:11

Please, cuckoo22, don't give up on life. I know it is difficult to imagine that things will ever get back to normal, at least normal as it was before but I am sure better days are ahead.

I have had dogs in the past but sadly do not have one now as taking it for long walks would not be possible, but have you thought about a cat? I am definitely a cat person - I would have six if I could - but they are so easy to look after. Mine is sitting on the chair next to me, purring loudly - probably because she has just had her saucer of milk, full-fat of course none of that skimmed stuff - and is a gentle, very affectionate little companion. One word of caution, do not even consider having a cat if you do not have a garden or access to an outside space. A house-cat is the ultimate cruelty.