Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New days, new ways

(109 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 08:00:34

Listening to the various scientists, it would seem that our lives are not going to be the same for quite some time into the future - if at all.

So I’m trying to work out how and what I am going to fill the many gaps that this new normality has.

It seems that theatre, crowded spaces, Christmas fairs, indoor events, restaurants, public travel will be something we will continually avoid.

I think it is important for mental health to work out a new norm.

So far we’ve come up with

Every fine day take picnic and walk! Enjoy our countryside.

Holidays in cottages so that we can avoid indoor people, like hotels etc.

Step up gardening and crafty stuff for inclement days.

Bit stuck now☹️

Galaxy Mon 02-Nov-20 08:07:48

I think using technology to keep connected. I love my brother but we are both a bit useless at keeping in regular touch. However now we both use WhatsApp we chat regularly exchange photos etc. Its a good thing to come out of it.

Hetty58 Mon 02-Nov-20 08:14:12

I follow my moods now, being more in tune with them - and kinder to myself. I do things that I enjoy, rather than always efficiently doing what 'needs' doing. I don't feel guilty as, after all, I'm looking after my mental health.

I see the situation as an extended time of being 'different', thinking in new ways and making the most of what's still possible. I don't fret over what isn't on.

Still, I look forward to a time when it will be over, calmer - and the expected 'new normal' can begin.

Puzzler61 Mon 02-Nov-20 08:17:52

3 solid plans Whitewave which many of us will similarly do.
May I add one that won’t appeal to everyone but there are many cats and dogs that need good homes.

A pet is a loyal friend and great company if you spend long periods at home and on your own. A dog encourages you to go out for daily walks with them.

Anyone who thinks they would like to re-home a hairy/furry companion please contact your local Dog’s Trust, Cat’s Protection, RSPCA or other reputable charity. As dog breeds have different needs, the charity will help to match the right breed of dog to your circumstances.

? ?

Riverwalk Mon 02-Nov-20 08:19:44

Eating out, theatre, exhibitions etc are such a part of my usual life that right now I really have no idea how I will fill the gaps in the coming winter months.

So many of these organisations have spent a lot of time and money on safety measure and planning to open up to accommodate winter trade - they must be devastated.

My sister and I were booked for the Foundling Museum this weekend, but that's now more ticket money in limbo!

sodapop Mon 02-Nov-20 08:23:16

The Foundling Museum sounds interesting Riverwalk I've not heard of it before, tell me more please.

Riverwalk Mon 02-Nov-20 08:28:48

Here is a link sodapop.

Museum

Iam64 Mon 02-Nov-20 08:28:53

I agree WW, it's important we adjust gently to what is likely to be our new normal for the forseeable future.

I walk twice a day, rain or shine because of the dog. Until June, we had two dogs but sadly, our 12 year old gorgeous big gentle girl died on mid summers day. We are reduced to one dog whereas for the last 10 years, we usually had three. A puppy will be joining us before too long. Puppies take up so much time I that the absence of grandchildren, adult children and friends from our home will be less obvious. I rescued and fostered for 40 years so please don't anyone suggest I shouldn't be buying a pup.

Gardening and crafty stuff - I'm enjoying having more time for this, even though its at the expense of holidays, theatre, meeting with family and friends.

Oopsminty Mon 02-Nov-20 08:35:57

Hear, hear for dogs

We've always had dogs and my delightful 7 year old JRX is sleeping on my knee as I type.

I look at her and see a happy warm soul. She's fed and watered and happy to just sit on my knee and look at me.

An evening walk in the woods is her daily joy and she helps throughout all this difficulty we're going through

To her it's great. More time with Daddy who's on furlough!

Have fun with your pup, Iam64!

fevertree Mon 02-Nov-20 08:49:50

A lovely thread.

I dusted off my sewing machine in April and joined a Zoom sewing class, it is the highlight of my week now and I've made many lovely, useful items for myself and others. The teacher lives locally and once a month I pick up three projects from a crate outside her front door, including a pattern and all materials. The group (there are 4 of us) plan ahead on WhatsApp and sew and chat over Zoom every week.

My 'new way' is actually an old way: my mother would send parcels when we lived far away from her, she called them 'parcels of love'. Inside would be e.g. home made biscuits, carefully packed, maybe something she had bought, a handwritten letter or note, and in those days, a postal order (in lieu of money). I now do that for my son and his family (who live just over an hour away), because we can't see them. I enjoy making up the parcels and they look forward to receiving them. I tuck a fiver in the parcel for my grandson, no more postal orders!

Oldbat1 Mon 02-Nov-20 09:05:30

Whitewavemark2. Don’t think we are permitted to stay overnight anywhere from Thursday in England. All camp sites are closing as is my brother in laws holiday cottages. Listening to the radio 4 whilst doing jigsaws, taking the dogs out, going to our local beach will be my “saviour”.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 09:08:53

Oldbat1

Whitewavemark2. Don’t think we are permitted to stay overnight anywhere from Thursday in England. All camp sites are closing as is my brother in laws holiday cottages. Listening to the radio 4 whilst doing jigsaws, taking the dogs out, going to our local beach will be my “saviour”.

Cross that off my list then?

What I really mean is going forward into the future after lockdown.

Life still won’t be the same as we have known it and I really think I need to get sorted in my mind what is possible and enjoyable, as at the moment I have been feeling gloomy about the future.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 09:09:42

Yes we have a Christmas jigsaw going at the moment. Or at least DH has, I never seem to get a look in!

Ellianne Mon 02-Nov-20 09:14:07

I agree WW that a better appreciation of nature helps and reminds us that everything is cyclical. I too have large dogs who get me out on the moors and on the beach.
Riverwalk I do sympathise because if I were living in London now I would feel all the usual pursuits in town were buying denied me. Theatres, museums, galleries, restaurants are part of the very reason for living in the capital in an edifying way.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 09:15:02

fevertree

A lovely thread.

I dusted off my sewing machine in April and joined a Zoom sewing class, it is the highlight of my week now and I've made many lovely, useful items for myself and others. The teacher lives locally and once a month I pick up three projects from a crate outside her front door, including a pattern and all materials. The group (there are 4 of us) plan ahead on WhatsApp and sew and chat over Zoom every week.

My 'new way' is actually an old way: my mother would send parcels when we lived far away from her, she called them 'parcels of love'. Inside would be e.g. home made biscuits, carefully packed, maybe something she had bought, a handwritten letter or note, and in those days, a postal order (in lieu of money). I now do that for my son and his family (who live just over an hour away), because we can't see them. I enjoy making up the parcels and they look forward to receiving them. I tuck a fiver in the parcel for my grandson, no more postal orders!

Love the parcel idea! Might copy that. I’ve nearly finished a Christmas wreath each for DD and DS. I always give them a Christmas deCoration of some sort every 1 December. So will wrap them up with other stuff in a love parcel.

Teetime Mon 02-Nov-20 09:15:40

We are still in limbo waiting for our house move to go ahead when it eventually does???? we will have a lot of new walks to do. If not then lots of new dishes to cook, finally get on with some creative writing practice at least.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Nov-20 09:18:37

I will fight all the way to get back to our original normal as soon as we can as I think it’s so extremely mentally debilitating for young people to never know the cinema theatre festivals hugging or spontaneity
So I will obey orders for now but once I am giving the go ahead I will be doing all the things I ve ever done
It’s ok for us we ve done our travelling revelling mixing I refuse to believe out young won’t have that too and I will encourage them all the way
I had cinema and theatre tickets booked for next week they had just started back I just hope the new year will see them back again
If it means oldies have to give up their pleasures and stay in so be it we ve had our time but the ‘ now’ generation must be allowed to experience it

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 09:20:59

bluebell yes the young are a different kettle of fish - as it were?

henetha Mon 02-Nov-20 09:33:53

I'm making a list of the things I can still do. It's quite short at the moment. But you are absolutely right, Whitewavemark2,
we have to re-adjust our thinking.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 02-Nov-20 09:48:16

I shall spend more time reading I have a pile of books waiting , will also get on with some craft stuff and do jigsaw puzzles. Once a day, weather permitting I shall go out on my new electric bike. This will be wonderful as I live on a hill and always end up pushing it up the hill. I will meet with my son now and again somewhere where we can buy a takeaway coffee. I might visit my daughter but only if she puts the heating on. I think I can go inside her house as she needs care and help, especially to walk. Other than all that my biggest problem will be knowing what day it is and the date.

rosecarmel Mon 02-Nov-20 10:04:20

I've found immense enjoy listening to white, privileged individuals complain about what they now have to do without- Also listening to human interest stories on the radio that involve gratitude- Both have been a source of inspiration-

Listening much more to the radio rather than staring at screens has been a welcome transition-

annodomini Mon 02-Nov-20 10:05:37

I occupied myself yesterday by creating a GCSE revision guide on Macbeth for my GS. I will file it for future reference when I eventually get some new tutees. I think it would be a good idea to compose some more of these guides, though there are many (maybe too many!) on the market. Otherwise, I am re-reading some of the enormous library on my Kindle, starting with Trollope's Barchester novels, the first volume I downloaded when I bought the device.

Jane10 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:10:33

I'm a creature of routine. I used to have one set activity a day: a class, volunteer job etc in order to keep weekends feeling special. I'd like to get back to that but meanwhile I've got a new routine: a later start, read every word in the newspaper, do the crossword puzzles usually takes up to about 10.30. Then jobs about the house, lunch, a walk/physical exercise at 2.00 then home and TV till bedtime. There's the People's Friend writers hour on Tuesday and a zoom session with friends on Wednesday. Phone calls to family and friends are important.
It's a life. Not what I'd have chosen but it could be worse.
I'll get back to my other life one day.

Sheilasue Mon 02-Nov-20 10:11:36

I shall follow the rules that were set up at the beginning
that is what I have been doing all along even though things were relaxed I kept to the rules.
1 shop on line
20 minute walk around the block
Won’t be getting a bus
My dd is in our bubble.
Until we get a vaccination I won’t do any thing different.

MissChateline Mon 02-Nov-20 10:12:30

I’m not one for going to pubs and restaurants in the UK and am reasonably able to occupy myself with books, walking, either alone or with friends. I try to keep to some kind of daily routine high includes exercise, cooking and contacting friends.
However what does concern me is that I’m still separated from my partner who is currently in Europe in our retirement apartment. I managed to get out there for august but had to return to the UK to oversee some building work on our house. My partner stayed on for a couple of weeks to sort out some stuff and now all flights have been cancelled again. I can not see an end to this separation or the time when we can be together again in the same country.
I guess at least I have my immediate family here and hopefully won’t have to spend Xmas alone.