Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I’ve just bought an advent calendar for the lock down.

(26 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:11:58

I’ll be giving it to my GS tonight when he comes to say goodbye for a month. I did have to add to the chocolate fix with a few loose chocs but he can have one every morning till he can visit( hopefully) again.

Jane10 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:40:27

I've just bought a proper German advent calendar for DH and me. No chocolates for us. I just like the beautiful old classic versions.

Pittcity Tue 03-Nov-20 16:07:11

I'm thinking of a wine countdown calendar with maybe gin at the weekends!

Jaxjacky Tue 03-Nov-20 16:28:30

Me too Jane10 just windows with pictures behind.

dragonfly46 Tue 03-Nov-20 16:39:16

I am doing a reverse calendar for the whole month of November and half December. I am putting an item of food in a box every day and at the end will give it to a Food Bank.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Nov-20 16:41:28

dragonfly46

I am doing a reverse calendar for the whole month of November and half December. I am putting an item of food in a box every day and at the end will give it to a Food Bank.

What a brilliant idea.

I shall copy that.

queengran Tue 03-Nov-20 17:38:54

I'm with PittCity! Been eyeing this gin calendar from Costco and might just go ahead and get it tomorrow. Although I'm also looking at the beauty calendars in boots and am tempted by those too. Quite disappointed M&S isn't doing theirs this year.

I do love your idea too dragonfly and I'll most certainly be donating but I think we can be frivolous sometimes and especially now I think a little daily treat to look forward to is much needed.

Parsley3 Tue 03-Nov-20 17:46:35

What a good idea. I have been thinking of buying mother and daughter ones for my girls but I don’t know which one to go for.

queengran Tue 03-Nov-20 17:57:32

Depends on your budget really parsley. John Lewis has some nice beauty ones. This one from Rituals comes in a really beautiful box and I like that there are candles in there as well as beauty products. I gifted a Hotel Chocolat one to my mother last year for her (late November) birthday and she loved it. Think it was similar to this one but they seem to have a few options this year.

PamelaJ1 Tue 03-Nov-20 18:05:30

We usually do the reverse calendar after Christmas but no harm in doing two. It’s going to be needed more that ever this year.

Parsley3 Tue 03-Nov-20 18:54:26

Thanks, queengran I will have a look at your suggestions.

LynneH Wed 04-Nov-20 09:26:37

You might need an open-ended one

rizlett Wed 04-Nov-20 09:41:56

For an extra special treat L'Occitaine have a divine one (the cheaper version) - it's pricey but the contents make you feel good. I bought myself last year as I live alone - I'd never normally spend that much but it was so delightful to open every day - I've bought one for my daughter this year.

It's cheaper than The Body Shop version too.

Alioop Wed 04-Nov-20 09:48:14

Two chocolate ones bought, one for myself and a doggy choc one for my little mutt.

DaisyL Wed 04-Nov-20 10:05:00

There are lovely e~Advent Calendars that I am getting for the grandchildren - they have games and activities included such as decorating a tree or memory card games.

Sueki44 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:14:44

May I recommend Advent of Change? They have a couple of calendars for adults and children and behind each door it tells you which charity is benefiting and how. They are not cheap, but very uplifting. All by post!

25Avalon Wed 04-Nov-20 10:16:24

Jacqui Lawson has some lovely email advent calendars.

polnan Wed 04-Nov-20 10:20:45

Pittcity.. LOL enjoy!

shysal Wed 04-Nov-20 10:25:55

I have ordered a Reeses peanut cups one just for me! I hope to have the restraint to wait a day for each one!

I looked at the cheese ones, but at £40 it would be cheaper to buy a selection of full size cheeses.

GrannyRose15 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:27:02

I love Jacqui Lawson.

GrandmasueUK Wed 04-Nov-20 11:56:28

I bought a tea one for my OH and a Hotel Chocolat one for DD. She bought a vegan dark chocolate one for me and a Reece's peanut butter one for OH and I got a lovely perfume one from SIL for my birthday. Something to look forward to in December.

GrannyZ Wed 04-Nov-20 12:18:49

Are son and daughter-in-law just arrived yesterday with a lovely boots one for me and a cheese one for Hd I love advent calendars I am so delighted can’t wait to start opening ?

annsixty Wed 04-Nov-20 12:33:48

Thank you Queengran I have ordered the Rituals one for my GD who has been a real star looking after me since I had a hip replacement operation nearly a month ago.

Happysexagenarian Wed 04-Nov-20 14:56:09

I have been making quilted calendars for a few months now, just finished a lovely house style one for one branch of the family. We have a garland of mini stockings that I made a few years ago which we hang along the stair banister with some holly, ivy and lights. The GC may not be able to visit this year so DH and I will enjoy the chocolate coins within.

felice Wed 04-Nov-20 15:27:33

I ordered a Lego one for DGS about an hour ago, he gets one for St Nicolas from me every year.
Either Playmobil or Lego, usable toys to add to his collections.
The company I ordered from are usually about 3 days delivery, this year it is arriving on the 26th. Good thing I ordered when I did.