The best vaccine news we could hope for

(222 Posts)
Alegrias2 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:52:07

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

Puzzler61 Mon 09-Nov-20 17:40:25

X posts suzie ?

LauraNorder Mon 09-Nov-20 17:46:20

Another one here who’d jump at it.
Fingers crossed for a more normal life next year.
Hope the rest of the world are enabled to have it too for their sake and all our sakes.

suziewoozie Mon 09-Nov-20 17:48:54

Feeling quite pricked eyed

suziewoozie Mon 09-Nov-20 17:51:09

Or prickled even

LauraNorder Mon 09-Nov-20 17:54:30

Are you pickled Susie?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Nov-20 17:58:25

Just throw this into the mix.

Would it make sense to vaccinate those that appear to be spreading it first so the young?

Just a thought. Probably not right but I’m in a post wine glow?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Nov-20 18:00:15

Quite happy for everyone to jump on me from a great height.

Tangerine Mon 09-Nov-20 18:00:48

Wonderful news. I hope this is the beginning of a solution.

Armynanny Mon 09-Nov-20 18:07:48

Puzzler61, I too thought he did an excellent job in explaining it. I have great admiration for him and Dr Jenny Harries who I feel are on my level.

There’s light at the end of the tunnel.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Nov-20 18:09:19

I won’t be jumping to be first in the queue so if anyone wants mine it’s up for grabs
No I don’t think we should inject the young first they are the ones that are most likely not to get it very badly so inject the people who are most likely to get harmed by it
I am cautious because already the virus is showing signs of mutating and I m not sure of trusting something rolled out in a few months that would normally take 10 years

suziewoozie Mon 09-Nov-20 18:27:38

Bluebelle would you be first in the queue? I don’t know how old you are. I’m quite happy with my ranking as there will have been plenty before me. It sounds as if it would be 5-6 weeks from first jab to maximum protection two weeks after second jab.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Nov-20 18:29:52

So Pfizer say

2 shots initially.
Yearly shot
Kept at -75c
Persuading people to have the shot - which is clear from on GN May be an issue to fighting the virus.

joannapiano Mon 09-Nov-20 18:33:17

Unfortunately some people would be unable to have the vaccine, such as our son in law who has a blood cancer and had a stem cell transplant last year. He is 44.

Harris27 Mon 09-Nov-20 18:33:41

Fingers crossed feel a bit more hopeful!

B9exchange Mon 09-Nov-20 18:37:15

Another bit of good news is that NHS staff will get twice weekly home tests, starting immediately. But why limit it to the NHS, it is the carers, the nursing homes and the hospices who all need it too, and also those visiting relatives in nursing homes, who are, in effect key workers?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Nov-20 18:37:54

joannapiano

Unfortunately some people would be unable to have the vaccine, such as our son in law who has a blood cancer and had a stem cell transplant last year. He is 44.

That’s hard

suziewoozie Mon 09-Nov-20 18:39:47

joannapiano

This is why it’s so important to have a good take -up - that will help to protect your s-I-l. People who refuse need to think about that

joannapiano Mon 09-Nov-20 18:42:44

Yes indeed. He was told by his Consultant some months ago.

suziewoozie Mon 09-Nov-20 18:56:58

B9exchange

Another bit of good news is that NHS staff will get twice weekly home tests, starting immediately. But why limit it to the NHS, it is the carers, the nursing homes and the hospices who all need it too, and also those visiting relatives in nursing homes, who are, in effect key workers?

Is this the saliva test?

maddyone Mon 09-Nov-20 20:03:14

I’m crossing my fingers, especially after yesterday’s news about the minks.

Whiff Tue 10-Nov-20 06:30:53

I would take it when it is offered. It's a virus so over time it will mutate like flu. I have been having a flu jab since I was 59 due to developing a heart condition. Having another jab is no hardship. Once I am 70 in 8 years time I will have the shingles jab. My parents always made sure my brother and me had all our jabs including the horrible small pox one. Funny how you can tell roughly how old someone is if they have a small pox jab scar. Before having children we decided they would have them all. Even though at the time in the early 80's there was a lot of scare mongering over vaccines. My children have paid and had their children vaccinated against chicken pox. Wish that had been an option when mine where little.

But there will always be the anti vaccine lobby. Also those who think childhood diseases are nothing and think child should get them . Do they know just how devastating they can be?

Even with this vaccine people still need to still take sensible precautions. As some people won't be able to have it because of health reasons and some won't have it for religious reasons.

Here's hoping 2021 will be a better year for the whole world health wise.

Ashcombe Tue 10-Nov-20 06:40:26

Uplifting news which we all badly need at the moment although the week began well with the triumphant news from across the pond! I would happily have the vaccine when it becomes available.

Esspee Tue 10-Nov-20 06:41:26

I won't be queuing up for it despite being in the vulnerable group. Once enough guinea pigs have proven it to be harmless I'll join the queue.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 10-Nov-20 07:28:07

It's very positive news. I am a tiny bit wary of personally having it ,but apparently the first to have it will be the over 85s. I think there are still lots of steps to take and we still will have to get through the winter.
I think we will still have to take precautions for a long time to come as no vaccine is 100% protection and Covid can be so debilitating. I'm optimistic but also wonder how our lives will change bearing in mind scientists seem to think this may not be the last such virus. Will will take notice and change how we do things and learn valuable lessons?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 08:18:51

Anyone listening to Hancock on Radio 4

Dear oh dear

No one what ever they voted deserve such a fool.