Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The best vaccine news we could hope for

(222 Posts)
Alegrias2 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:52:07

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

Alegrias2 Fri 13-Nov-20 11:33:13

That's a good point MayBee70. Thalidomide casts a long shadow over our generation. But it was 60 years ago and as a result of the thalidomide scandal the rules about drug testing were greatly strengthened. I think some people will never be convinced about the safety of new drugs, and that's especially a problem with vaccines because you give them to healthy people. People may have forgotten what the world was like before vaccines for measles, polio etc.

Fennel Fri 13-Nov-20 11:55:50

Alegrias wrote
"People may have forgotten what the world was like before vaccines for measles, polio etc."
I remember it well - TB was the main one, I had friends who had that, and 2 with polio, and I had a bad dose of measles.
I'm certainly hoping that I'll be offered the Pfizer vaccine.

MayBee70 Fri 13-Nov-20 13:16:08

DH has just told me that there’s an article in today’s Times that says David Icke is telling young people that the vaccine will make them infertile. I haven’t read it yet, though.

Elegran Fri 13-Nov-20 15:11:39

I think that article refers back five months. He was wittering on about infertility on Facebook on 18 June 2020 He tweeted that "the [n]ew ‘drug’ which is said to be R150)" i.e. dexamethasone, a corticosteroid already used to relieve inflammation and treat certain forms of arthritis, severe allergies and asthma, which may be helpful to Covid19 patients on ventilators, caused "97% of corona vaccine recipients will become infertile’"

His FB account was deleted, and his claim was debunked at africacheck.org/fbcheck/no-dexamethasone-not-a-covid-19-vaccine-no-evidence-it-causes-infertility/ Of course, he may be repeating his statements.

Elegran Fri 13-Nov-20 15:13:51

In fact, they go on to say -

"We could not find any studies suggesting that the drug causes 97% of recipients to become infertile.

Some studies have shown that low doses of dexamethasone in combination with other treatments may help reverse male infertility and assist with ovulation in women. "

Elegran Fri 13-Nov-20 15:33:33

Ah yes, in September he said that the FLU vaccine contained a chemical (polysorbate 80) that led to infertility

fhttps://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-vaccines-toxic-substances/partly-false-claim-vaccines-contain-toxic-levels-of-aluminum-polysorbate-80-yeast-and-other-substances-idUSKBN22H2OP quotes The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

"POLYSORBATE 80

According to the CDC, polysorbate 80 is an excipient commonly found in vaccines for influenza, Hepatitis B, HPV, and meningococcus ( here ).

The VKP states that polysorbate 80 is an emulsifier commonly used in food and drinks ( here ). According to Medical News Today, polysorbate 80 is “used in the food industry in ice creams, gelatin desserts, barbecue sauce, and pickled products. In vaccines, it helps other components remain soluble.” ( here )

Although some studies have raised safety concerns related to reproductive problem ( here ) an expert group at the European Medicines Agency has categorized the danger of polysorbate 80 as “very low” ( here ).

It is therefore true that polysorbate 80, a common emulsifier in the food industry, can be used in vaccines to keep components soluble, but health experts have determined risk of exposure to the substance as low. To call it a “toxic chemical” is therefore misleading."

Elegran Fri 13-Nov-20 15:35:06

Corrct URL is uk.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-vaccines-toxic-substances/partly-false-claim-vaccines-contain-toxic-levels-of-aluminum-polysorbate-80-yeast-and-other-substances-idUSKBN22H2OP

Callistemon Fri 13-Nov-20 15:44:27

MayBee70

DH has just told me that there’s an article in today’s Times that says David Icke is telling young people that the vaccine will make them infertile. I haven’t read it yet, though.

I'm surprised he didn't say it would turn them into lizards.

MayBee70 Fri 13-Nov-20 19:05:44

The article says that ‘ the misinformation shown to volunteers included a tweet from David Icke which suggested wrongly that a whistleblower in the pharmaceutical industry had claimed that 97% of vaccine recipients would become infertile’. The article was about how many people were put off having the vaccine after reading bogus online messages. Even, it seems, from people like Icke.

Alegrias2 Wed 18-Nov-20 15:40:48

It seems my headline for this thread was wrong, there's even better news.

The coronavirus vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech appears to protect 94% of adults over 65 years old.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54986208

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 15:55:38

That really is great news.. smile

JenniferEccles Wed 18-Nov-20 16:08:21

There was a thread on here a while back where the poster claimed that flu vaccines contain microchips to enable the government to track us (or maybe control us, I can’t remember)

We will have to hope that these crazy anti-vaccinations lies don’t gain traction.

I can understand why some people may be slightly concerned about the speed at which the vaccines have been produced but some of the claims are just laughable.

LauraNorder Wed 18-Nov-20 16:14:53

I’d rather risk some potential side effects from a vaccine to help get our lives back than risk Covid and a nasty death.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Nov-20 16:20:36

What I find incredible is that the whole world, that means every single one of us will need to be be vaccinated. I also find it incredible how quickly the virus spread.

We are one world.

Alegrias2 Wed 18-Nov-20 16:28:05

There was a thread yesterday that had a link to a podcast that talked about vaccine development and "vaccine hesitancy", I hadn't heard it called that before. The discussion is very good.

www.gransnet.com/forums/coronavirus/1287557-How-to-vaccinate-the-world

Franbern Wed 18-Nov-20 16:30:29

Research on vaccines for Corona virus's have been taking place for about twenty years. Yes, they upped their game with the current virus and that seems to be resulting in several different vaccines against Corona 19.

Think it is wonderful and we can start looking forward to getting our lives back on track again.

Whereas, I am usually very much in favour of total freedom of speech, I do think that the dangerous, downright lies from so many anti-vaxers should be stopped.

MayBee70 Wed 18-Nov-20 18:06:30

I do hope the results come through from the Oxford vaccine soon. Not only do we have access to lots of it but it’s quite cheap compared to the others and the plan is to use it in poorer countries.

Franbern Wed 18-Nov-20 19:07:18

Even better news re. the German vaccine. I am just waiting, almost with bated breath for this to start to be used. Will be really excited when I am notified to have it.
Yes, there will be others coming soon. We are getting out of this terribly year and this time, science will win.
Not sure if we will be so lucky another time.

MayBee70 Wed 18-Nov-20 21:30:34

I am rather concerned about the number of people that have caught the mink variation of the virus. I don’t think enough is being done to contain it.

NotSpaghetti Thu 19-Nov-20 09:54:21

Witewavemark I’m disappointed that 80% of vaccines have apparently already been bought up by the wealthy countries. We obviously aren't one world.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Nov-20 09:57:57

NotSpaghetti

Witewavemark I’m disappointed that 80% of vaccines have apparently already been bought up by the wealthy countries. We obviously aren't one world.

No certainly not as far as wealth and power is concerned, that is very true.