Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Surely this can’t be right?

(47 Posts)
tidyskatemum Sun 15-Nov-20 18:39:33

My friend’s DD lives in Scotland. Her 3 year old goes to a nursery where someone has contracted Covid. She has been told the 3 year old is now supposed to isolate for 14 days - but the rest of the family don’t! Is this bonkers or what?

Calendargirl Sun 15-Nov-20 18:44:36

I think the other family members are classed as secondary contacts, so no, they don’t have to self isolate.

My DS had to self isolate as a work colleague tested positive, but his wife and children could still go to work and school.

If he went on to develop COVID, which thankfully he didn’t, then things would be different.

B9exchange Sun 15-Nov-20 18:47:27

No, that's not right. If someone has tested positive, the family must isolate.

www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-test-and-protect/pages/who-needs-to-self-isolate/

Summerlove Sun 15-Nov-20 18:48:37

But the child hasn’t tested positive

Just been exposed

Calendargirl Sun 15-Nov-20 18:54:00

Not sure if my answer was not clear, my son had only been exposed at work, so he self isolated for 14 days, but his family did not need to.

He did not have the virus thankfully.

Galaxy Sun 15-Nov-20 18:58:15

Yes that's correct, that's the guidance, only the person with direct contact needs to isolate.

Marydoll Sun 15-Nov-20 19:01:34

My friend is a nursery teacher our local ( Scottish) nursery and had to self isolate, as one of her pupils tested postive. However, her family were allowed to go to work.

My daughter in law's nephew had to self isolate after someone in his (Scottish) nursery tested positive, but the rest of the family could still go to school.

There are four classes in our local primary school self isolating, but parents have been told they can still work.

So it looks as if your friend's daughter is correct, tidyskateone

Grannynannywanny Sun 15-Nov-20 19:05:38

I agree that’s correct. The 3 year old’s family are not required to isolate unless she develop symptoms and requires a test. Then all of the household isolates till test result.

It would be a bit bonkers though if one of the parents didn’t remain at home with the 3 yr old ?

paddyanne Sun 15-Nov-20 19:15:13

When my niece had covid during the summer she isolated in her bedroom ,her mum left her food outside the door and anything else she asked for.Everything was carefully sterilised.No one else in the house caught it .Whe she used the bathroom it was cleaned after every use .bedrooms aren't prisons nowadays they have loads to entertain them .

moggie57 Sun 15-Nov-20 19:19:23

all the family must isolate........

Grannynannywanny Sun 15-Nov-20 19:27:13

moggie57 according to govt guidelines,the child needs to isolate for 14 days because she has been in contact with a positive case. The rest of her household don’t need to isolate because she has no symptoms. If she is unfortunate enough to develop symptoms then she requires a test and her household remain in isolation till test result. If it’s positive they all remain in isolation.

kircubbin2000 Sun 15-Nov-20 19:43:01

Only the child. The parents have not been in contact with the ill person. My grandson is isolating but parents are not unless he becomes ill.

petra Sun 15-Nov-20 19:52:17

moggie57
If you followed that logic through, where does it end?

tidyskatemum Sun 15-Nov-20 19:54:05

So the 3 year old can be left at home with a tin opener while her parents go to work then!

Calendargirl Sun 15-Nov-20 19:58:01

Well, someone will have to remain at home, but not the whole family.

paddyanne Sun 15-Nov-20 21:01:26

I see Mr Johnston has been told to self isolate after being in contact with a positive case .....is that a tad too convenient given the state of affairs in Downing Street this week?

Jaxjacky Sun 15-Nov-20 21:31:47

GS isolating for a week, DD off with him, GD school as normal.

GreyKnitter Sun 15-Nov-20 21:35:59

It is correct. Someone in my twin grandsons bubble at school has tested positive so they have to self isolate for 14 days. Their mum has to stay at home to look after them, but she doesn’t have to self isolate herself, so when they go to their dad for contact visits she can go shopping, meet her ‘bubble’ partner etc. They’re in England.

lemongrove Sun 15-Nov-20 21:37:48

tidyskatemum

So the 3 year old can be left at home with a tin opener while her parents go to work then!

?I expect she would watch tv all day.....possibly crack open the cornflakes.

V3ra Sun 15-Nov-20 23:51:07

My adult son is currently isolating upstairs as a colleague he works with tested positive.
paddyanne we're leaving his food on the landing and disinfecting the tray afterwards. He's got sole use of the bathroom as we also have an ensuite.
He's not allowed to leave the house or come downstairs.
So far he's not developed any symptoms.

My husband and I can carry on as normal, although my husband is currently at home on furlough.
I can still childmind as the children never go upstairs, we have a downstairs toilet.
I had to report all this to the C19 Local Outbreak Control team and get permission to stay open. They are making decisions on a case by case basis.
There's an awful lot of it about at the moment unfortunately.

polnan Mon 16-Nov-20 10:14:40

summer loBut the child hasn’t tested positive

Just been exposedve said.

but I see someone has beat me to the comment that Boris Johnson, just been exposed yet is self isolating!

I give up!

NoddingGanGan Mon 16-Nov-20 10:34:12

I think this begs the question, "what is meant by 'self-isolate'?"
My DD's partner had to "self-isolate" but they just took that to mean, "stay at home" so they were still sharing a bed, sharing a bathroom (they only have one) sharing child care so both in daily, close physical contact with her as she's only 5, sharing a kitchen, cooking meals for each other, etc. etc. I contend that this isn't self isolation and that, therefore, my DD should also have been off work and the child off school.
What is the point of all this so called, "self-isolation if not?
Totally different for those PPs have described as being shut in their rooms, meals on trays, separate bathrooms etc. I get that totally but how many, "self-isolators" are actually doing that? I'm becoming so disillusioned with the measures being taken, or not taken, in the feeble attempts to stem this pandemic.

Caragran Mon 16-Nov-20 10:40:45

Paddyanne get a grip. No it's not.

Maremia Mon 16-Nov-20 10:57:04

Paddyanne wink

nannypiano Mon 16-Nov-20 11:29:49

Paddyanne .... that was my immediate thought. Gives him a bit more thinking time. Or was he trying to prove the tracing system does actually work.