Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Opening our windows

(119 Posts)
MawBe Mon 23-Nov-20 10:21:28

A good article in the DT this morning about something I imagine we all grew up with - the benefit of opening windows. Apologies for a longish cut and paste but I hope it is worth it.

“While we await, with guarded optimism, the much-heralded Covid-19 vaccine, simpler (and much cheaper) protective measures should not be neglected. Hence the concern expressed by Professor Edward Lynch in this paper last week after noting the windows were closed in 78 out of the 80 buses he recently observed passing Waterloo Station. “Good ventilation is extremely important,” he writes, a view echoed in an article in the Journal of Hospital Infection describing the role of fresh air in combating infectious illnesses prior to the discovery of antibiotics.

Fresh air is lethal to most viruses... and loses its potency when outdoor air is enclosed
The twin goals of promoting recovery while also preventing cross-infection and reinfection were addressed, writes Dr Richard Hobday, by nursing patients next to an open window or placing them in their beds outside. He cites too the experience of the Camp Brooks Open Air Hospital near Boston, built at short notice at the height of the devastating 1918-19 Spanish flu pandemic. In good weather, patients spent virtually all their time outdoors, kept warm in their beds at night by hot water bottles and extra blankets. The survival rate was almost twice that of conventional hospitals while just two out of the 150 staff contracted the highly contagious virus.

Subsequently, Dr Hobday reports that scientists in the Sixties identified an “open-air factor” in fresh air that is specifically lethal to most bacteria and viruses, and which loses its potency when outdoor air is enclosed. So, open those windows – and for those lucky enough to have a garden, a firepit – sales of which are booming – should hopefully see them through the winter months unscathed.”

Missfoodlove Mon 23-Nov-20 15:22:44

Our house according to our 3 AC is Baltic!!
Always thought hospitals and nursing homes were just incubators for germs.
So ridiculously hot.
There was the open air school movement in the 40’s and 50’s it was experimental and didn’t last long but I know the city I live in did have a “ fresh air school”

grandMattie Mon 23-Nov-20 15:29:05

Open windows/patio doors, or ajar according to the season. Was born in tropics and can’t bear a lack of “air”!
We keep the thermostat on 15 deg, but our children think it’s tropical!

Fennel Mon 23-Nov-20 17:16:23

I like open windows too but husband goes around closing them because he says we pay to have the heating on so why waste it?
So I sneakily open them again.
Maybe it's the same reason bus windows are kept closed.

Callistemon Mon 23-Nov-20 18:19:32

Children don't wear proper vests any more.

Bring back liberty bodices!

Ellianne Mon 23-Nov-20 18:29:29

Callistemon

Children don't wear proper vests any more.

Bring back liberty bodices!

Perhaps these "influencers" could encourage school pupils not to feel the cold!
Apologies in advance.

Grannynannywanny Mon 23-Nov-20 18:51:02

I made a failed attempt to post this photo earlier( hopefully my post won’t eventually turn up in triplicate)
I thought it might be of interest to teachers who have students complaining about windows open in cold weather.

It was taken in the 1930s in an outdoor fresh air school in Cardiff, intended to reduce the spread of tuberculosis. It looks grim.

Blossoming Mon 23-Nov-20 19:01:29

My OH opens windows all the time, no matter what the weather. I’m always wrapped in blankets grin

Bellasnana Tue 24-Nov-20 07:24:53

Large patio door in living room is always open when I’m at home. Smaller patio door in bedroom is always open, day and night. I have insect screens to stop any unwanted visitors getting in! It’s still not cold enough to have the door closed at night.

Calendargirl Tue 24-Nov-20 07:32:26

I agree with you BlueBelle, that there is little point having the heating on when windows are open.

Our heating is off in the daytime, and overnight.

Only goes on if it’s really cold, and then the windows are closed.

travelsafar Tue 24-Nov-20 08:15:36

I like to feel warm and cosy but also love fresh air. So Windows open in the mornings and closed as it starts to get dark late afternoon. Love a walk in winter, wrapped up and with a blue sky and sunshine, or even a damp dark rainy day.

sodapop Tue 24-Nov-20 08:23:49

No central heating here either so the windows are open as often as possible. Bedroom windows open all night. The only time I keep them closed is when its really hot, wish I could afford air conditioning.

Iam64 Tue 24-Nov-20 08:29:34

Thanks MawB - my daughters are now in their mid 30's and have told me they now "do a mum" and open all the windows in their houses.

Carenza123 Tue 24-Nov-20 08:40:25

I remember my mother having a”blow through” getting rid of stale air and considered healthy. My daughter loves to do the same. The majority of people today do not believe in this practice. My husband is always encouraging his sister to open her windows but she also never has a “blow through”. I think it’s beneficial for health.

Sarnia Tue 24-Nov-20 08:47:54

Having a builder for a husband meant windows opened every day whatever the weather. He was asked so many times to go and see a damp problem in somebody's house only to find it was a lack of ventilation. We exhale moisture as we sleep so open windows allow the stale, damp air out and the fresh, dry air in. Much healthier, virus or no virus.

Puzzler61 Tue 24-Nov-20 08:52:30

Ellianne I think my daughter would go for that look, she’s a real snow bunny and adores being on snowy mountains.
I hear the sense of opening windows MawBe and open them most of the year. But in winter I can’t bring myself to do it. Too blooming chilly. We always say our house is on “windy corner”.
I just have those vents at the top of the windows open.

PamelaJ1 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:11:14

At the moment I am not too worried about catching COVID or anything else at home because we are the only ones here and we haven’t got it. I do open the windows a little in the bedroom at night and as we go in and out of the outside doors fairly frequently we get some fresh air in then.
Sometimes , depending where you live the outside air can be quite polluted.
I am starting to investigate an air exchange system though, maybe I will start a thread to see if anyone else has one.

Woodmouse Tue 24-Nov-20 09:25:33

I've been a Window Opener all my life, especially bathroom and kitchen. I like to sleep with bedroom windows open but my DH doesn't so I agree to have them closed. I think my love of fresh air might be why we seldom catch colds.

Sweetchile Tue 24-Nov-20 09:43:05

Windows open whatever the weather here can't sleep with bedroom window shut. Was in hospital before lockdown the nurses kept shutting our windows we were south facing and to top it all a workman came to fix the sticking window and screwed it shut. Needless to say screw was removed later.

Noreen3 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:43:37

I think buses should have at least one window open,we're dressed for outdoors,we can put up with with a bit of a draught.I think the bus cleaners should open a window at the beginning of the day,and there could be a notice saying do not close this window.This would save arguments.I opened a bus window one day,a couple got on,sat behind me,the man said effing window open?,leaned across and slammed it shut.I pointed out that it was unhealthy to have the windows all closed,we need ventilation,they just laughed at me.So I agree with you Elusivebutterfly,I hate being on a hot ,stuffy bus

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 24-Nov-20 09:58:55

I prefer windows open all year round. My bedroom has the heating off and a window open! OH who is a northerner is always shutting windows and turning the thermostat up. Drives me mad. An early memory is the day my baby sister was born when I was five. Dad called me into their bedroom and there was a pile of snow on the floor! This was January.

sue01 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:59:47

Another fan of wide open windows in all weathers here !

Bathroom windows are always opened for half an hour after we've showered... and the bedroom window is completely open 365 days a year.

I even phone hotels before booking to ensure their bedroom windows open !!

jaylucy Tue 24-Nov-20 10:03:48

I tend to sleep with my bedroom window open unless the temperature drops below zero , as well as having the radiator temp set lower than the rest of the house - hate waking up with a muzzy head and dry mouth!
In primary school we had one teacher that always opened the windows in the classroom and I can't ever remember feeling cold while in there!
Years later she mentioned it to me after seeing the school windows being replaced by double glazed ones. She pointed out that her class always had a lower rate of absenteeism due to children being off sick , which was true!

Oldwoman70 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:07:20

Bedroom and bathroom windows are open for most of the day (when I am home!). Other windows are opened for an hour mid morning (after heating has turned off). As for having windows open in schools - I recall sitting in class wearing a coat, gloves and scarf because of it was so cold!

Hymnbook Tue 24-Nov-20 10:22:57

My bedroom and living room windows are always open. They are the only ones l have. Kitchen and wet room windowless. The heating is underfloor mine is never on. I get the heat from my neighbours and from the corridor. I have noticed that the buses all have windows open now.

readalot Tue 24-Nov-20 10:25:51

I open my bedroom, bathroom and kitchen window's on a morning then close them late afternoon. You need some fresh air circulating.