Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New colleague won’t adhere to workplace policies

(91 Posts)
Mamma66 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:09:56

I work for a charity which has worked all the way through both Lockdowns. The precautions in place are well thought through and I feel fairly confident about the measures in place. We have had two new starters; one fitted in straight away, the other not so much. It has become increasingly apparent that the second new starter is ignoring the Covid precautions relating to using the WC at work.

We have a staff toilet and the protocol is that after you have used the bathroom you wipe down all the surfaces you have touched with antibacterial wipes and wash your hands. I don’t think she washes her hands, but I know for certain that she doesn’t wipe down the surfaces. I am not the only person to notice this and a colleague put up a sign in the loo just in case the information hadn’t filtered through. She is a nice enough person, but I really don’t appreciate the fact that she is putting us all at risk. What do I do? Raise it with our CEO?

Venny Tue 01-Dec-20 10:08:50

Well a bit of common sense needed here, you use the wipes when you go in
to use toilet, and your nit picking on the new lady

4allweknow Tue 01-Dec-20 10:10:39

When using a public toilet there are no facilities to wipe down surfaces or people employed to do so after each use. Washing hands is the most important part of a toilet visit. You should concentrate on that. Do what Gordon Ramsay did or perhaps still does and have a washbasin installed outside the toilet so people can be seen washing hands - he even had a camera so he could check on hand hygiene.

ReadyMeals Tue 01-Dec-20 10:12:10

MaggieTulliver

Beyond petty OP. I work in a GP practice and there is no wiping down of surfaces nor has it ever been mentioned. I despair at what Covid is doing to people....

omg.... Seems I was right to decide not to see my GP until the pandemic is over. And doctors wonder why patients are putting off consulting them?

jocork Tue 01-Dec-20 10:13:28

I have read somewhere that the 'virus on surfaces' issue is now thought to be less of an issue with the main transmission being airborne as droplets. Personally I don't worry about what I touch in a wc as long as I thoroughly wash my hands before leaving. That and regular use of hand gel seems to be adequate precaution in my view. Obviously if this colleague is not washing her hands I'd be less worried about the surfaces in the wc than all the things that they touch elsewhere in the building / documents they hand to you etc.
Until I retired recently I worked in a secondary school. We had all sorts of protocols in place but mostly everything was underpinned by members of cleaning staff who constantly wiped down surfaces, handrails and door handles etc. I noticed some staff doing far more cleaning than I did - I'm aware I often forgot things like wiping a keyboard after use especially when I was in a hurry to get to a lesson. One colleague thoroughly cleaned everything before and after use and wouldn't let the students wipe down their desks at the end of a lesson but insisted on doing it all himself. We are all responsible for our own and others' safety but if we don't trust others completely we should take those extra precautions on their behalf.
Yesterday I was in school again working as an exam invigilator, which included supervising toilet breaks. When each student emerged I asked if they had washed their hands, despite hating asking, then squirted them with hand gel anyway in case they had lied!

Chewbacca Tue 01-Dec-20 10:20:53

the complacency and derision from people who don’t care.

That's neither true nor fair, judging from the comments made so far CleoPanda. We all have a responsibility to take the greatest of care with hygiene; washing hands frequently, making sure that we wear masks where appropriate etc. But unless OP is following this lady into the toilet and actually standing and watching what she does, how can she possibly know that she isn't washing her hands or wiping down surfaces? And for another poster to suggest that she possibly doesn't wear a face mask when out and about either, is just ridiculous unless she's being followed home! The only way to make sure that you're hygiene safe is to take individual responsibility as far as is possible.

jaylucy Tue 01-Dec-20 10:26:44

Drop it into the conversation about how much of a nuisance it is to have to wash your hands, etc but how surprised you were on how quickly it became the norm - then ask her which tune she uses for the 20 second handwash.
Personally, even though you might think that everyone else is following protocol, you can't guarantee that they are every time so I'd do the wiping down before and after regardless along with the handwashing.

GreyKnitter Tue 01-Dec-20 10:26:45

Irritating when you think people aren’t following basic hygiene rules in any circumstances. I always have a small sealed plastic bag in my pocket or handbag with a few antibacterial wipes in and if I’m using any toilets outside of the house I always clean before I use and make sure I use antibacterial gel when I’m outside again - having washed my hands of course. I feel quite safe doing that. You never know who has been there before you and what they have or don’t have.

Sadgrandma Tue 01-Dec-20 10:30:57

Unless you have actually been in the toilet at the same time as her and witnessed her not washing her hands or wiping down I don't think you have a right to accuse her. However, if you have, then you should speak to her directly, in a nice way, rather than talk behind her back or report her to superiors.

Jcee Tue 01-Dec-20 10:34:24

I would assume no-one is doing it and wipe everything before I start. Saves any annoyance on your part.

Ellet Tue 01-Dec-20 10:40:48

I totally understand you Mamma66. I would be cross if I had a colleague like this. It was always easy to recognise which of my fellow workers were not washing hands after using the loo by the lack of noise from the hand drier and the speed with which they vacated the cloakroom following the ‘flush’. I don’t think you are being petty.
Perhaps the suggestion made by jaylucy is the best way forward. Good luck.

petra Tue 01-Dec-20 10:56:25

CleoPanda
As I'm probably one of the posters your referring to I can tell you that I'm as certain that I can be that I had the virus ( together with several other people in my area) last December.
I lost my sense of taste and smell then and still don't have any.
As far as safety is concerned I don't rely on anyone to keep me safe in all walks of life: that's my responsibility.

Shinamae Tue 01-Dec-20 11:02:03

I take personal responsibility for myself. Always carry hand gel and antibacterial wipes...

Casdon Tue 01-Dec-20 11:03:27

MaggieTulliver that’s appalling, all GP practices should be following the Government NHS guidance which is very clear about the infection control requirements.

icanhandthemback Tue 01-Dec-20 11:04:59

CleoPanda, I am sorry you are so distressed but it is important that people are doing things that are necessary rather than going overboard because then people do get complacent. Washing hands is a must because even without the virus, other germs spread. Wiping everything down is not necessary because the science says that it is highly unlikely that Covid is transmitted this way. We used to worry about HIV in the same way and those infected were treated like lepers with everything they had touched treated with great suspicion. We don't want to go back to that situation so nobody who believes the science should be scorned.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 11:09:12

I work in a GP practice and there is no wiping down of surfaces nor has it ever been mentioned

Readymeals I dont think what MaggieTulliver has said is normal practice in all GO surgeries.

I had a late appointment recently and as I was waiting, the receptionist came around and wiped all the chairs down and the window and door handles. At a subsequent hospital appointment I was met at the door by two nurses offering me a hospital mask (you can't wear your own) and hand sanitizer. As soon as I got up from my chair in the waiting room, someone came and wiped it down.
So yes, they are taking it seriously here at least.

Ask for some more notices to be displayed prominently in the washroom, OP.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 11:09:44

Sorry for typos.

GP surgeries

Aepgirl Tue 01-Dec-20 11:13:52

There is surely someone in charge - a supervisor - who should speak to this person. What she is doing is selfish and unpleasant. Why should she get away with this antisocial behaviour.

Beloulou Tue 01-Dec-20 11:14:45

I also work in a GP surgery. Each room is washed down (including exam beds and chairs) between each patient. Toilets are cleaned at least every hour. Infection control is extremely important

Maremia Tue 01-Dec-20 11:22:09

CleoPanda flowers

Kim19 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:24:31

Don't snipe but do look after yourself. I'm told, on reliable authority, that handwashing is miles more effective than wipes or gel but these two are better than nothing. Some people seem to expect wipes to be available in public places. Why? Carry your own and apply them before and after usage. This will result in peace of mind for you without concerning yourself with others misdemeanours.

LinkyPinky Tue 01-Dec-20 11:48:22

Covid is a VIRUS. Antibacterial wipes will not kill it. It is transmitted mainly through aerosolised particles which can swirl around for hours, especially indoors, after an infected person has breather, laughed, sung, coughed, sneezed or talked. You should ensure that your workspace, including the loo, is really well ventilated. Consider acquiring an oxygen monitor. By all means wipe surfaces and definitely wash hands but your best protection indoors is ventilation.

Lupin Tue 01-Dec-20 11:50:20

Do you have team meetings? Have one soon and bring it up. I used to manage people and, personally, I would have a discreet word with someone not complying.

JdotJ Tue 01-Dec-20 12:15:43

MaggieTulliver

Beyond petty OP. I work in a GP practice and there is no wiping down of surfaces nor has it ever been mentioned. I despair at what Covid is doing to people....

Well said

Kim19 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:18:12

LP, very informative, thank you. It has always been my practice to wipe down my kitchen surfaces with a damp clean cloth immediately after use. Am I wasting my time and money with these extra injections of going over with dettol wipes every hour or so?

Marydoll Tue 01-Dec-20 12:26:57

This is a quote from the RCGP website.
In the surgery:
Hygiene is key
Everyone needs to wash their hands on entering the building, between patients and before examinations. Desks need to be cleared of clutter and cleaned. Use disposable ear pieces and thermometer covers. Taking measures on hygiene is probably the most important message.

My GP surgery has excellent hygiene protocols in place, but as a shielder, I'm still not allowed to attend in person.
Maggie Tulliver, I'm glad I'm not a patient in your GP surgery. What a shocking attitude or are you just trying to wind posters up? ?