Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccinations from next week

(528 Posts)
Alegrias2 Wed 02-Dec-20 08:32:08

If you're thinking of coming on this thread to say "it's not over yet", don't bother. This is good news and this is the beginning of the end.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

growstuff Mon 28-Dec-20 20:09:02

Hmm! AstraZeneca haven't been 100% transparent with their announcements. I think that's a shame because it fuels the suspicions of anti-vaxxers. My understanding is that the vaccine (not sure what dose) has been trialled on a handful of older people (in one group, but not another) and has been shown to be safe. However, trials on efficacy (ie whether it works) have not been finalised. There has been some confusion about the level of efficacy in various groups. Hopefully, it will all become clear. It would be great if it prevents transmission, which will be the real key to "herd immunity", but that hasn't been established yet either.

Casdon Mon 28-Dec-20 17:52:06

That’s the reference growstuff, it says that the participants since August have included those over 70, I’m not aware that they have published the results yet, but surmising that when they announce the rollout of the vaccination, that data will be part of the announcement because it will determine which regime for dosing they are going to follow. My understanding from what I’ve read is that 18% of the original trial participants were also over 55, and showed a similar immune response to younger participants.

growstuff Mon 28-Dec-20 16:28:46

Casdon

Here it is www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2020/12/10/What-next-for-AstraZeneca-s-half-dose-COVID-19-vaccine

I think I'm missing something. The only reference in the article to older people is:

"The efficacy of the SD/SD regimen is unknown in older people (enrolment of older age cohorts for SD/SD began in August and now includes participants aged 70+)."

I still can't find any details of the results of these later trials. I'm not saying there aren't any results, but I can't find them.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 28-Dec-20 14:30:31

My local health centre announced on its website today that they will start inoculating over 80s and health workers from 11 January! I am in group 5 so hopefully I won’t have to wait too long, especially with the Oxford vaccine just around the corner.

Casdon Mon 28-Dec-20 14:25:17

Here it is www.biopharma-reporter.com/Article/2020/12/10/What-next-for-AstraZeneca-s-half-dose-COVID-19-vaccine

NotTooOld Mon 28-Dec-20 14:18:00

We seem to have been told the AZ vaccine will be available any day now for the last several weeks and I believe it every time - but where is it? Come on, Oxford vaccine, now is the time! We need you.

growstuff Mon 28-Dec-20 13:39:16

MayBee70

I would imagine that John will be doing an in depth blog about the vaccine over the next couple of days.

That would be interesting. I still can't find any conclusive evidence on over 55s.

The latest I could find was on 23 November, when there still wasn't evidence of efficacy in the older age group.

Phase 2 trials showed that it's safe (ie well tolerated) in all age groups, but the result of Phase 3 trials either haven't been published or I just can't find them. They're the important ones for showing whether it actually works.

www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-phase-3-interim-analysis-of-the-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine/

MayBee70 Mon 28-Dec-20 13:27:35

I would imagine that John will be doing an in depth blog about the vaccine over the next couple of days.

growstuff Mon 28-Dec-20 13:26:32

JenniferEccles

I understand though that the group in the Oxford trials which were accidentally given half a dose for the first were all under 55. There were older people in the trials though, and someone mentioned on another thread that her husband in his 70s had taken part.

I could be wrong, but I thought the husband of the poster took part in the Zoe/Oxford COVID Symptom Study App trial, which is something different.

growstuff Mon 28-Dec-20 13:23:01

Casdon

I just looked it up, yes they have been doing trials on the over 55s with the half dose/full dose combination since August when they got the initial results from the half dose error, so I’d assume that will inform the announcement that’s coming shortly. It would be brilliant if efficacy in the wider trial of the combination is the same as for the initial half dose error group.

Yes, it would. I don't suppose you have a link - I'm being lazy and it would save me from having to do a search.

growstuff Mon 28-Dec-20 13:21:09

MayBee70

I’m afraid that many anti vacc’ers have it baked into their mentality and will continue to oppose it. As for having any faith in people using common sense for the next few months I can’t see that happening either.

I agree with you. I've written them off. That kind of blind bigotry can't be changed. I'm more worried about the people who are hesitant and are swayed by some of the claptrap.

MayBee70 Mon 28-Dec-20 13:17:00

I’m afraid that many anti vacc’ers have it baked into their mentality and will continue to oppose it. As for having any faith in people using common sense for the next few months I can’t see that happening either.

JenniferEccles Mon 28-Dec-20 11:24:33

I am sure most people will realise that the pandemic isn’t over and will realise that the precautions already in place will have to remain for a while, but the arrival of the Oxford vaccine should definitely be a game changer.

I am hopeful that the anti vaccinations brigade will be reassured once it is rolled out in vast quantities.

MayBee70 Mon 28-Dec-20 10:29:40

The chances are that it will prevent transmission but it isn’t proven. I do hope people don’t start to behave as if the pandemic is over. And this new variant means that more people have to have the vaccine before herd immunity kicks in.

Hetty58 Mon 28-Dec-20 10:14:54

There is no verdict (yet) on whether vaccination will prevent transmission. At present, the whole point of vaccination is to prevent serious illness and save lives.

We are still in the middle of a pandemic, so vaccination will make it less deadly. I really do hope it prevents transmission too!

JenniferEccles Mon 28-Dec-20 10:09:26

Most of today’s newspapers are saying the Oxford vaccine will be authorised this week, possibly even today and that the first jabs could be from next Monday!

Much reason for optimism, and as we are told the new covid variant is more transmissible, the vaccine can’t come soon enough.

Lovely encouraging news for the start of the week.

Casdon Sun 27-Dec-20 23:54:18

I just looked it up, yes they have been doing trials on the over 55s with the half dose/full dose combination since August when they got the initial results from the half dose error, so I’d assume that will inform the announcement that’s coming shortly. It would be brilliant if efficacy in the wider trial of the combination is the same as for the initial half dose error group.

JenniferEccles Sun 27-Dec-20 23:06:53

I understand though that the group in the Oxford trials which were accidentally given half a dose for the first were all under 55. There were older people in the trials though, and someone mentioned on another thread that her husband in his 70s had taken part.

Casdon Sun 27-Dec-20 18:47:14

Growstuff yes, the Oxford vaccine has been trialed on people over 55, there is no age limit on the recruitment for volunteers, except over 18.

growstuff Sun 27-Dec-20 18:19:49

Urmstongran

Just read the rollout target is to be 2,000,000 a week from next month. Once the AZ vaccine is available things will really start moving apparently. The economy can then open up which is very important now.

No, the economy can't "open up". People can't go back to normal, vaccine or not. I do wish the government would spell out the realities and limitations of the vaccine and stop treating the public like toddlers.

growstuff Sun 27-Dec-20 18:17:54

Witzend

Roll on the Oxford vaccine being ready. Much more practical from a storage POV than the Pfizer one, and, I gather, considerably cheaper. I read today £3 a dose compared to £15.

Has the Oxford vaccine been trialled on anybody over 55?

Witzend Sun 27-Dec-20 17:26:02

Roll on the Oxford vaccine being ready. Much more practical from a storage POV than the Pfizer one, and, I gather, considerably cheaper. I read today £3 a dose compared to £15.

MayBee70 Sun 27-Dec-20 17:20:04

Must point out that a lot of people in the trials suffered from post vaccination reactions even though they’d been given a placebo. Best to approach it with optimism methinks. However best to be cautious if you have had bad reactions to things in the past. It is still going to be months before anything goes back to anything like normal no matter how fast the vaccine is rolled out. I hope people don’t drop their guard (more than some people already have that is).

Urmstongran Sun 27-Dec-20 16:41:28

Just read the rollout target is to be 2,000,000 a week from next month. Once the AZ vaccine is available things will really start moving apparently. The economy can then open up which is very important now.

Elegran Sun 27-Dec-20 15:51:56

threexnanny Dentists would cope with a bad reaction in exactly the same way they would cope if one of their dental patients reacted badly. It can happen - dentists inject stuff into people all the time.
I don't know how they would fit the vaccine administration into their normal work though. As it is, they have to take very strong precautions against cross infection.