Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

About the safety of the vaccine

(68 Posts)
kathyd Wed 02-Dec-20 12:41:51

I posted this link in another thread but think it may get lost so repeating it here.

theconversation.com/less-than-a-year-to-develop-a-covid-vaccine-heres-why-you-shouldnt-be-alarmed-150414?fbclid=IwAR2aQ8a4IhTTSDnhD-ReT4zHcNZ7S8kJUEEYEiCXY7MAs3krCTeh64avLDo

welbeck Thu 10-Dec-20 02:50:32

thank you; loopy-loos indeed !

MawBe Thu 10-Dec-20 00:26:13

with so many ill-informed rumours flying about, this is grist to their mill, the loopy-loos, anti-vaxxers, and even to the cautiously concerned

So true Welbeck
In the light of the “ loopy- loos and anti-vaxxers” I thought now might be the moment to post this:

M0nica Wed 09-Dec-20 23:58:45

These reactions should have been reported but with the back ground info.

One newspaper today published an interesting but sad story about the papilloma virus vaccinations. One girl collapsed and died the following day and the papers made a big thing about this death following the vaccination with all the usual suggestions it wasn't safe etc etc. At the inquest it was revealed that the post-mortem revealed a massive tumour in her body. She could have dropped dead anytime in the previous six months and would have died within the year. It was entirely coincidenttal that she died the day after she received the vaccination.

We must be careful about assuming that because two things happen together that there is any connection between them.

MissAdventure Wed 09-Dec-20 21:03:08

Thank you.smile

MayBee70 Wed 09-Dec-20 20:59:46

youtu.be/5fXn1PCU2E8

MayBee70 Wed 09-Dec-20 20:57:48

They both worked for the NHS and they were not in danger. If you check out Dr John Campbells latest utube blog he explains exactly what happened. I'll try to do a link.

welbeck Wed 09-Dec-20 20:48:28

it seems an error to put people who already had such severe allergies into the first-day recipients of the vaccine. and maybe they themselves should have queried it. they are now fully recovered but with so many ill-informed rumours flying about, this is grist to their mill, the loopy-loos, anti-vaxxers, and even to the cautiously concerned.

grannyqueenie Wed 09-Dec-20 20:32:14

Sorry lemsip posted too quickly to see you’d made the same observation!

grannyqueenie Wed 09-Dec-20 20:31:00

Absolutely grannynannywanny it’s irresponsible reporting that will scare people for no good reason.

Grannynannywanny Wed 09-Dec-20 20:27:52

Crossed posts lemsip !

Grannynannywanny Wed 09-Dec-20 20:25:26

I heard it clarified on the news this evening that the 2 with allergic reactions are both NHS staff who have known allergies. Their allergies are so severe that they have to carry an epipen with them at all times so they can inject themselves with adrenaline in an emergency situation.

Unfortunately there are people who fall into that category. My friend has multiple severe allergies and cannot take the flu jag. It’s not even the ingredients of it that cause her allergic reaction.

One of her severe allergies is to latex and it can’t be guaranteed that the flu vaccine containers haven’t been in contact with latex.

It was a pity the media released the report about the 2 allergic reactions this morning without giving the full details. The 2 folk in question are no strangers to severe allergies.

Summerlove Wed 09-Dec-20 20:25:17

nanna8

Guess the British will be the world’s guinea pigs. Apart from the Chinese who never tell anyone anything anyway.

Surely a choice the govt has made? No one is being forced to be vaccinated

MissAdventure Wed 09-Dec-20 20:24:47

Ah, yes.
The report I saw omitted to mention the last part! Half news.

lemsip Wed 09-Dec-20 20:18:04

yes two allergic reaction in the two NHS workers it then goes on to say that they both carried Epi pens because the had allergies already.....

MissAdventure Wed 09-Dec-20 20:09:53

2 allergic reactions have been reported in people who have been vaccinated.

felice Tue 08-Dec-20 16:12:05

Farview, we start getting it here from the 5th January, I got a letter this morning saying a district nurse would visit at 14.00 on the 11th.
SIL has also received his appointment.
In the news this morning they were showing flights taking off from Zaventem Airport heading for the USA.
All coming from the Puurs plant near Antwerp.
The Jannsen vaccine is also available, we might get that here as it was developed by the Belgian company of the same name, I think the location is I think near Liege.

M0nica Tue 08-Dec-20 14:09:52

DH was one of those taking part in the Oxford trials, we do not know whether he had the COVID jab or the alternative but he has been fine.

MayBee70 Tue 08-Dec-20 13:41:26

No, the guinea pigs were the people taking part in double blind tests all of which have been ok. So much so that it is now deemed inappropriate in some trials to do such tests as giving someone a saline solution instead of the actual vaccine is unethical given that it puts their life at risk.

Casdon Tue 08-Dec-20 13:20:53

Yes nanna8, just as we were with smallpox. There’s no gain without risk is there?

lemsip Tue 08-Dec-20 13:11:26

Having the vaccine should not mean throwing caution to the wind!! I shall continue wearing a mask and distancing myself from others as much as is possible!

nanna8 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:52:01

Guess the British will be the world’s guinea pigs. Apart from the Chinese who never tell anyone anything anyway.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Dec-20 22:01:16

I’ve bought so many mask filters I’m going to carry on using them for quite a long time. Especially as I don’t actually go anywhere these days!

Blossoming Thu 03-Dec-20 21:37:15

Absolutely I’ll still be carrying on with my current precautions.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Dec-20 21:07:30

They don’t know that. Which is why, even when people have been vaccinated we all need to adhere to the principles of hands face space ventilate.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 03-Dec-20 19:52:49

I heard today that you can still carry the virus and pass it on after you have been given the jab. So I think the wearing of face masks will play an important part in stopping the virus.
Just for record I think I would prefer the oxford vaccine.