Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

About the safety of the vaccine

(67 Posts)
kathyd Wed 02-Dec-20 12:41:51

I posted this link in another thread but think it may get lost so repeating it here.

theconversation.com/less-than-a-year-to-develop-a-covid-vaccine-heres-why-you-shouldnt-be-alarmed-150414?fbclid=IwAR2aQ8a4IhTTSDnhD-ReT4zHcNZ7S8kJUEEYEiCXY7MAs3krCTeh64avLDo

Luckygirl Wed 02-Dec-20 12:46:14

A timely post - thank you for that.

Daisymae Wed 02-Dec-20 15:15:32

While we may not be alarmed there's still a lot we don't know. Does the vaccine prevent transmission or just stop a bad case, how long does it last, what impact will it have on the very elderly and poorly, what will the uptake be, how are millions of doses going to be kept below 70 degrees? I can see us coming back to earth with a bump.

paddyanne Wed 02-Dec-20 15:26:40

I'll take it once all the tory clowns have lined up in full view of the public and got it.Until then I'll keep doing what I've been doing ,

Lucretzia Wed 02-Dec-20 15:29:31

You can see Hancock having it with Piers Morgan next week, paddyanne They are going to have a joint vaccination, live on TV.

Not sure that will convince waverers but Piers thinks it will.

That's an interesting comment of yours because there are posters who think that the tory MPs should be last in the queue!

AGAA4 Wed 02-Dec-20 15:30:19

We don't know if the vaccine stops transmission yet but if it stops people getting Covid or becoming seriously ill then it is doing a good job.
Hospitals and other centres, which have the ability to store the vaccine at minus 70, will get the vaccine first.
It could be the first step in us getting back to a fairly normal life.

Kate1949 Wed 02-Dec-20 15:32:05

Iceland (the store) are in talks with the government to see if they can assist with storage apparently.

rockgran Wed 02-Dec-20 16:56:07

I recommend listening to Dr John Campbell on youtube. His video today is very reassuring. I have been following him since the start of the outbreak and his advice on every aspect has been spot on.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt8cEDd3tSc&t=873s

MayBee70 Wed 02-Dec-20 17:11:34

rockgran. Hasn’t yet he been wonderful. I haven’t checked his blog out today but tend to panic if a day goes by without one eg last night He’s always being interviewed by foreign news channels but seems to be largely ignored in this country. He is so reassuring and informative.

Fennel Wed 02-Dec-20 17:30:46

I haven't really looked into what it's supposed to do. But husband told me today it's claimed to build up the person's resistance (?immunity system) so that if you do get it you're not as poorly as you would be without it.
Don't take that as gospel.
I would have it if offered.

Grannynannywanny Wed 02-Dec-20 17:42:06

Jonathan Van Tam has stated that the lower the uptake of the vaccine the longer the tiers and restrictions will have to remain in place.

So, if we find ourselves still under restrictions in spring heading into summer we can thank all those who have said they’re not taking the vaccine till they see how other folk get on with it.

M0nica Wed 02-Dec-20 17:59:11

For those in doubt compare the vaccine with what may await you without it. and then say where the danger lies.

silverlining48 Wed 02-Dec-20 18:06:41

There’s an itv programme tonight at 9pm following hospital patients with covid. Think it’s going to be a tough watch.

silverlining48 Wed 02-Dec-20 18:07:45

Sorry Channel 5 Surviving Covid 9 pm

nightowl Wed 02-Dec-20 18:27:57

What I hate most about this whole situation is the way we have all turned against each other, (been encouraged to turn against each other?) blaming other people, it’s the young, or the students, or those idiots who won’t wear masks etc. We’re all struggling in our own way and I believe it’s ok to question whether such an innovative vaccine is safe and to make one’s own decision whether to have it or not. I don’t believe it’s acceptable to abuse people who make a different decision to one’s own. What an intolerant society we have become.

EllanVannin Wed 02-Dec-20 18:31:43

They might have placebo's though ? grin MH and PM.

rosie1959 Wed 02-Dec-20 18:35:49

I will listen to prof Van Tam he talks perfect sense and will be ready in line as soon as it's my turn
My dear stepmother was worried about the long term effects I pointed out she was 88 so was at more risk of covid than long term effects
I want to go back to Jersey on holiday bet they wont let you in without a vaccination

Fennel Wed 02-Dec-20 18:41:15

"The canary in the coalmine" ?

farview Wed 02-Dec-20 18:52:35

Up to now..why has only the UK ordered these vaccines?

BlueSky Wed 02-Dec-20 19:13:18

You are so right Nightowl also some thought provoking points on here.

Alegrias2 Wed 02-Dec-20 19:41:14

nightowl

What I hate most about this whole situation is the way we have all turned against each other, (been encouraged to turn against each other?) blaming other people, it’s the young, or the students, or those idiots who won’t wear masks etc. We’re all struggling in our own way and I believe it’s ok to question whether such an innovative vaccine is safe and to make one’s own decision whether to have it or not. I don’t believe it’s acceptable to abuse people who make a different decision to one’s own. What an intolerant society we have become.

It's fine to question it, but it is then necessary to listen to rational explanations and make informed decisions. People may well have perfectly valid health concerns, which they should discuss with their doctors. People who just don't take the time to understand how vaccines work, how they are developed and how they are tested, need to be told they are wrong.

Everyone must make up their own minds but people who plant fear in the minds of others by quoting things that are just not true need to be held to account.

Alegrias2 Wed 02-Dec-20 19:43:07

farview

Up to now..why has only the UK ordered these vaccines?

Every country in the EU has ordered it, as well as Japan and the USA.

uk.news.yahoo.com/covid-vaccine-pfizer-which-countries-125354582.html

farview Wed 02-Dec-20 19:49:25

Thanks Alegrias2...must have misheard..?

farview Wed 02-Dec-20 20:30:50

...my gut feeling..I would prefer the Oxford vaccine..not being awkward...

BlueSky Wed 02-Dec-20 20:45:08

farview

...my gut feeling..I would prefer the Oxford vaccine..not being awkward...

Me too Fairview wonder why?