Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

NHS staff NOT first in the queue for vaccine

(200 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 03-Dec-20 20:32:42

NHS staff will no longer be among the first people to be vaccinated against Covid-19 after a rethink about who should be given priority.

Hospitals will instead begin by immunising care home staff, and inpatients and outpatients aged over 80. The change is likely to disappoint and worry health service staff, some of whom had already booked appointments to get immunised.

Frontline personnel were due to have the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine when the NHS starts rolling it out, probably next Tuesday, after the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency approved it on Wednesday.

uk.yahoo.com/news/nhs-staff-no-longer-front-180240027.html

MamaCaz Sat 05-Dec-20 17:57:53

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with you about taking taxis not being a risk, Casdon.

Ellianne Sat 05-Dec-20 18:14:35

I don't know if this helps anyone, but here is the list of hospitals where the vaccine will be given. I can't actually see one within an hour from me, so transport will be a really big issue for many.
I just hope the GP surgeries can be brought on board as soon as possible to calm people's worries.

Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust

Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Croydon University Hospital NHS Trust

Dartford & Gravesham NHS Trust

Dorset County Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust

East Kent Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (Colchester Hospital)

Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust

Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Guys & St Thomas NHS Trust

James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Kings College Hospital - Princess Royal University Hospital

Lancashire Teaching Hospital Trust

Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Leicester Partnership NHS Trust

Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Mid and South Essex Hospitals Trust

Milton Keynes University Hospital

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust

North Bristol NHS Foundation Trust

North West Anglia Foundation Trust

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust

Portsmouth Hospital University Trust

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Trust

Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

St George’s University Hospitals NHS FT

The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

University College Hospitals Trust

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust

University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire

University Hospitals Derby Burton NHS FT

University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust

University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust

United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust

West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Wirral University Teaching Hospital

Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust

Casdon Sat 05-Dec-20 18:56:11

Everything is a risk MamaCaz, but the evidence supports taxis and own being used being used under these conditions, or it wouldn’t be allowed, surely?

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 05-Dec-20 19:05:20

Ah,looking at the list of hospitals that is concerning?. It's such a difficult decision because all you can do is own individual risk assessment and choose lesser evil.
In the summer I gave in to the need for a hair cut,mainly due as well to highlights growing out and it really did look dreadful. The infection rate was low and my hairdresser booked me in at a time when salon virtually empty etc. My daughters fiance drove me there. The car had been cleaned,we all wore masks and windows were down. It was as safe as could be.
So I suppose it depends on your local situation.
For me a taxi ride would be better than a bus as as long as precautions are followed it's a shorter journey with fewer people.
There still seems some uncertainty about role of contact/surfaces and infection. I would certainly take the minimum with me I needed and change clothes when I returned home etc.
It certainly is going to be an issue. I dont know how many people over 80 do or dont drive. I must admit that sometimes I worry that because I've been so sheltered I'd be more prone to catching anything going when when I do come into contact with people.!
Its certainly something i hope the government/health authorities are considering. Those in remote areas will struggle with weather or maybe lack of public transport-or very limited transport. Those in built up areas would be at risk from being in contact with more people.

MamaCaz Sat 05-Dec-20 19:06:51

Sorry, but you lost me on the last argument. Just because something is 'allowed' doesn't mean it is either safe or advisable. The Christmas rules allowing three households to get together is the perfect example of this.

More specifically, regarding taxis - the passenger has no guarantee that the driver is virus free (or vice versa). Nor does the passenger have any control over whether the driver wears a mask or ventilate the car, or cleans it after the previous passenger(s) etc.

MamaCaz Sat 05-Dec-20 19:08:31

My last post in response to Casdon.

Casdon Sat 05-Dec-20 19:15:23

Sorry about that, I meant own car not a repeat of being used twice!
Of course there is a risk in every transaction we make that the person we are dealing with is Covid positive, but the point I was trying to make (not very articulately I’m afraid!) is that there’s no evidence that being in a vehicle with somebody else in the front seat if you are in the back if you both wear masks and it’s ventilated is any greater than any other interaction. You do of course have the right to insist the driver wears a mask and keeps the window open - but taxi drivers are also concerned about their own health and safety so that wouldn’t be a problem in the very high majority of cases, particularly if you use a local company - or a relative or friend could drive her, with the same proviso.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 05-Dec-20 19:18:36

Casdon I suppose what is allowed and whether it's a good idea can often be conflicting. As we so many things with this virus we are all reliant on the good hygiene and practices of others. Ideally it would be your own car,then transport with someone you know and trust,then taxi etc. Assuming you are not exposed to the virus via aerosol droplets I'm assuming the best protection is distance and keeping hands away from face,plus hand gel when out.
I suppose it's best to try not to worry and take it day by day.
I've not had inside visits. Last month my central heating broke and had to call british gas. They were excellent. Just as well as I now have a problem with a leaky radiator so they have to come out again?

Lavazza1st Sat 05-Dec-20 20:25:35

Wow, not many hospitals to get the vaccine from! shock Yes I can imagine transport will be a huge problem, especially in the over 80's.

Does anyone else think that maybe the over 80's are the guinea pigs? Maybe they don't want the NHS staff to have it until loads of other people have had it? It's come out a bit quick and may not be 100% safe?

Ellianne Sat 05-Dec-20 20:34:03

I think the number of hospitals is 53.

Alegrias2 Sat 05-Dec-20 20:44:00

For the second time tonight, no the over eighties are NOT guinea pigs.

It has come out "a bit quick" because we are desperate for it. Please stop coming up with these daft ideas that not only frighten people but insult the scientists who have worked on it and the NHS staff who will be administering it.

SueDonim Sat 05-Dec-20 20:51:13

No, I don’t think the over 80’s are being used as guinea pigs. hmm If the powers-that-be were that ruthless, they’d have given Covid free rein months ago and we wouldn’t all still be in lockdown of various sorts. My mother is 93yo yet she would undoubtedly recognise that claim as vexatious.

WRT to the hospitals, some trusts have many hospitals so I’m not sure that that’s the full list of venues.

Hetty58 Sat 05-Dec-20 20:59:43

I think it makes perfect sense to begin vaccination with the age group most at risk from Covid. It's the best way to bring down the death toll.

My nurse friend has already had the virus, as have many of her colleagues. They were begged to continue working (if they felt up to it) on the Covid ward, rather than isolate, as, after all, the patients already had it.

Ellianne Sat 05-Dec-20 21:07:06

The vaccine hubs announced in London include; Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, St George’s University Hospitals NHS FT, Croydon University Hospital NHS Trust, Guys & St Thomas NHS Trust, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust and the University College Hospitals Trust.
Each trust may have several hospitals, but surely by farming it out to others there would be more staffing issues? I was under the impression that for the moment the 53 sites were going to be where the jabs are administered?
Once they get their act together things might well change but that doesn't help the very elderly at the start date.

SueDonim Sat 05-Dec-20 21:15:21

Well, I don’t know, Ellieanne. Here in Scotland they’re talking about taking it to care homes.

MayBee70 Sat 05-Dec-20 21:48:50

If they weren’t prioritising the over 80’s for the vaccine they would be accused of not caring about them and looking on them as expendable. For once I have to defend the government on this: whatever they do they can’t win.

Casdon Sat 05-Dec-20 21:54:48

The list of hospitals is just for England, the other nations are making their own arrangements. In Wales there are sessions being booked for staff in all the Health Boards as well as patient vaccinations, from the first Pfizer allocation, so it’s definitely not being ‘tested’ on the over 80s only.

M0nica Sun 06-Dec-20 10:18:42

The majority of people in hospital do not have covid. Other illnesses are still available and many people have them.

DH is currently in hospital and receiving superb care. All the staff are excellent, but do not give any impression of being run ragged and overworked, unless they are moonlighting in COVID wards in their free time, which is highly improbable.

I am referringto the current situation, not the situation in the first wave.

Casdon Sun 06-Dec-20 10:30:40

Unfortunately there is still a significant transmission problem in hospitals M0nica, but not because the staff aren’t excellent and giving good care. Lots of people are asymptomatic, including staff, and it’s introduced that way, any ward can be affected, not just Covid designated wards. The infection control precautions are much better than they were at the beginning, which helps reduce the spread, and staff are screened regularly.
It’s been on the news recently in Wales again however, one of our hospitals (Royal Glamorgan) in particular has seen a large number of deaths related to Covid very recently. I don’t know if they are publishing the figures in England or Scotland too. I’m all in favour of vaccinating hospital patients first, and where possible anybody who is due to be admitted to hospital for an elective procedure, to reduce their risk.

Callistemon Sun 06-Dec-20 10:40:49

MayBee70

If they weren’t prioritising the over 80’s for the vaccine they would be accused of not caring about them and looking on them as expendable. For once I have to defend the government on this: whatever they do they can’t win.

I agree.
When a vaccine is approved which does not require such a low temperature during transportation and storage it will be so much easier to take the vaccine to the care homes.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:39:23

I agree Callistermon. I'm not sure about the difference between the two vaccines. I think the one that's just been approved has no live virus which is obviously a massive advantage. The complexities of storing ,transferring and getting people to the vaccination centres are though,or seem to be! I come down the list a bit as although have a medical condition that makes me vulnerable I'm just under 60. I was wondering about accessing vaccination centres as dont drive. Now I've decided not to worry as maybe by the time it gets to me the Oxford one will probably be available ?.

M0nica Mon 07-Dec-20 11:00:35

There is no live virus in any of the vaccines. Most of them do not use the whole virus in the vaccine at all, alive or dead. As I understand it all of them use part of the virus only. The rest of the science I understand when I read it, but cannot remember it in enough detail, to feel confident to explain it absolutelyl correctly in a post.

Ellianne Mon 07-Dec-20 11:16:30

I agree Casdon, there must be a significant problem of transmission within the hospital otherwise why would they be giving the vaccine to patients who are going in in the first place? And doesn't that include outpatients attending too?

Callistemon Mon 07-Dec-20 11:21:07

No, the ones developed for COVID so far do not contain the live virus.
The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine does not contain any live virus, and nor does the Moderna vaccine. The Oxford vaccine contains a harmless form of a different virus, which has been altered so it cannot cause an illness.
www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/coronavirus-vaccine-your-questions-answered

Others, like the shingles, hepatitis B, MMR, do and they can create a better immune response but not everyone is able to have them.

MawBe Mon 07-Dec-20 11:24:30

Good item on the vaccine especially for women on this mornings WH
Worth getting the podcast or listening on Sounds.