Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine and Women of Child Bearing years.

(31 Posts)
Dawn22 Thu 03-Dec-20 23:17:47

Just a query.

Anyone have any thoughts on women of child bearing years taking the Vaccine when it does get rolled out. Thinking of the Thalidomide devastation during the sixties. Yes l know then it was a medication and not a vaccine but a vaccine is still a foreign body in a pregnant woman 's body. Have clinical trials factored in safe guarding in pregnancy or future potential pregnancy into it's extensive research l wonder and have they answers for us regarding the above.

Dawn

NotSpaghetti Mon 07-Dec-20 15:07:22

Ha ha! That's interesting Alegrias. I haven't had time to chase this up!

M0nica Mon 07-Dec-20 21:12:13

I have spent the last hour reading a special issue of the New Scientist (20/11/20) called 'Vaccinating the World' and one thing is clear the vaccines now being developed fall into four broad vaccine categories, all very different from each other. There are 1)protein subunit vaccines, 2)mRNA vaccines,3) Non-replicating viral vaccines and 4)Inactivated vaccines. All very different in the way they have been developed and how they work. Which categories of vaccines do these concerns relate to?

Pregnant and lactating women are always put in a separate category when the introduction of new drugs or vaccines is happening. Nothing remarkable that the vaccine manufacturers are following standard procedures.

Dr Yeadon left Pfizer almost 10 years ago, long before COVID and he will be way behind the curve in having any insight into what is happening at Pfizer.

Several of the fact checking agencies (Politfact and APnews) have labelled his claims about the pandemic as 'false'.

As for Woldarg, his claims have been largely contradicted by the verifiable facts; and his statements have been proved to be misleading.

These two sound like Andrew Wakefields in the making.

NotSpaghetti Mon 07-Dec-20 21:58:34

Exactly M0nica!

M0nica Tue 08-Dec-20 08:57:21

I would suggest Dr Yeadon may have a personal grudge with Pfizer.

Pfizer had a huge research and drug manufacturing campus just outside Sandwich. So big that the thought that they would ever close it down and leave the area, was unthinkable, but they did think and it did close, with the loss of over 2,000 jobs. This coincides with when Dr Yeadon left Pfizer, I do not know whether the Pfizer redundancy package was generous or not, but I was made redundant into early retirement when my then employer had to massively downsize. We had a very generous redundancy scheme, but never the less some senior managers in particular were very bitter about leaving. One of my managers had to be marched off the premises by security staff with his personal belongings in a black plastic bag and was put on compulsory sick leave because he just wouldn't go.

MawBe Tue 08-Dec-20 09:26:19

I think NannyC2 should be very careful about spreading anti-vaxx propaganda and what she repeats.
According to BBC News, Facebook and other social media platforms are banning “fake news” and will be taking down false claims to prevent “imminent physical harm” including claims about vaccine ingredients, safety, effectiveness and side-effects.