Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Christmas shoppers in Regent St yesterday ???

(94 Posts)
MawBe Sun 06-Dec-20 09:03:12

I could weep
These idiots are not only endangering themselves but every one of us - the wider population, not just GN, I mean.
How many Christmases are going to be ruined because of this total lack of responsibility?
How many lives?
No wonder we need lockdowns when people cannot be trusted to be sensible or considerate of others.

Sunlover Tue 08-Dec-20 21:14:31

A friend of mine was there on Saturday and she said it didn’t feel too crowded to her. Usually she is very cautious about mixing with others. She said she wishes she had taken her own photos.

Callistemon Tue 08-Dec-20 20:34:29

That really takes the biscuit!! ???

varian Tue 08-Dec-20 20:24:12

I seriously doubt whether more than a tiny minority of these antisocial idiots did not vote Leave. This country is being wrecked by idiots.

Ellianne Tue 08-Dec-20 14:00:02

lemongrove

Certainly the crowds look crazy considering we are still in a pandemic and not many wearing masks either.
As another poster mentions upthread though, camera angles can be deceptive.What was all that about young people trying to storm Harrods? Hardly the store for them to do all their Christmas shopping surely?

I thought that too lemongrove. They were simply out to gather and mingle, not to do much shopping. Harrods and Regents Street are good areas for crowd assembling, and I think you are right many of those youngsters in their fake Canada Goose jackets didn't look the type to shop in Knightsbridge. More like Stratford or Watford, but that wouldn't have the same effect!

JenniferEccles Tue 08-Dec-20 13:28:09

All this hatred and resentment must be exhausting for varian !
It can’t be healthy.

lemongrove Tue 08-Dec-20 13:26:40

Certainly the crowds look crazy considering we are still in a pandemic and not many wearing masks either.
As another poster mentions upthread though, camera angles can be deceptive.What was all that about young people trying to storm Harrods? Hardly the store for them to do all their Christmas shopping surely?

lemongrove Tue 08-Dec-20 13:23:34

varian

Unfortunately the stupidest, most ill-informed and gullible people in the UK have, in recent years, been allowed to inflict untold damage on the rest of us.

Haha! A medal for you varian? for managing to work in a reference to Brexit on any subject at all, it seems to be your super power. Four years on from the referendum and one year on from leaving the EU.?

Alexa Tue 08-Dec-20 12:16:01

I agree , Nanny, there will be a covid surge after Xmas.
Prevention methods have to include people who will not comply.

The compulsory vaccination schemes of the past were simple compared with the behavioural controls needed to control covid. And for which compliance is necessary.

The propaganda by the government should not have presumed 'everybody' keeps 'traditional' Xmas festivities. This is simply not true.

maddyone Tue 08-Dec-20 12:10:22

People as usual misunderstand. It is not illegal to fail to socially distance, it is a guideline. Therefore these people are not breaking the law and the police do not need to there for that reason. Perhaps for pickpockets, but not for social distancing. Leave them to get on with it and worry about what you’re doing. If you’re not on these shopping streets it’s not your problem. Most of you have stated you never or rarely go out, so what difference does it make to you! The pandemic won’t go until most of us are vaccinated, we’ll just carry on having waves. All the lockdowns in the world won’t stop it because there are always people who have to go out to work to make sure you are able to get your shopping etc.

nanna8 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:54:39

Just curious but where were the police ? Don’t they arrest people for breaking the rules? Fine them? They certainly did here.

honeyrose Mon 07-Dec-20 00:30:15

That’s ok, EllanVallin.

Ailsa43 Sun 06-Dec-20 22:55:43

Oxford street today . Click to enlarge

JenniferEccles Sun 06-Dec-20 22:53:10

It’s worth bearing in mind that certain camera angles can make crowds look far worse than they are.

I have been out Christmas shopping since the shops re-opened and haven’t encountered any problems.

What is the answer? If we all cower at home too scared to set foot outside our front doors, town centres will not survive.

There needs to be a balance struck.

paddyanne Sun 06-Dec-20 21:59:16

Kandinsky the AVERAGE 35 year old wont know if they have nothing to fear ....sadly some do .My friend lost her 34 year old son in April.He was fit and healthy and thought he had the start of a cold.Got up for work and collapsed,he was dead that night .If there was a way to determine who will live or die then let everyone return to normal.That isn't the case ,so I'm happy that my AC aren't behaving like eegits and sticking wth the rules,

MissAdventure Sun 06-Dec-20 21:56:51

Where are the covid wardens when you need them.
Those without masks should be given an on the spot fine and sent home.

Sparkling Sun 06-Dec-20 20:46:49

What about the shop assistants and staff in these shops. It is not fair on these people. Surely they don’t have to serve such people. I would be worried sick if I worked in these shops.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Dec-20 20:32:07

Sorry, honeyrose just seen your post after I'd written mine.

Kandinsky Sun 06-Dec-20 20:31:56

Lucca - for your own safety?
It’s well known that the older you are the more at risk you are - so rather than shut down the entire country to protect one particularly group, just protect the most at risk and let everyone else carry on with their lives.
Younger people are losing their jobs, homes, sanity you name it - some will never ‘get back to normal’
The average 35 year old has nothing to fear from coronavirus - but look what they’ve had to go through.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Dec-20 20:30:26

What's more, these crowds have been using shop doorways as toilets in some places where the toilets have been closed-----more contamination !

honeyrose Sun 06-Dec-20 20:23:14

I haven’t read all of the threads so forgive me if someone else has mentioned this. At Nottingham Christmas Market, some people were defacating in doorways as no toilets open in the market. Yet another health hazard to add to the risk of COVID.

Callistemon Sun 06-Dec-20 19:57:22

We had socially distanced drinks with our neighbours MayBee when weather permitted but, apart from seeing them going past when we've been in the front garden, we haven't seen much of them for weeks.

I do know, however, if we needed help, we'd only have to email, phone or text.

I hope you have their phone numbers and emails.

kazzerb Sun 06-Dec-20 19:26:33

Christmas market in Derby has had to be cancelled as the whole place was overwhelmed by sheer numbers of people, many not wearing a mask and no social distancing !! Idiots, the lot of them. I can see lock down number three being the whole of Jan / Feb 2021

varian Sun 06-Dec-20 19:22:38

Unfortunately the stupidest, most ill-informed and gullible people in the UK have, in recent years, been allowed to inflict untold damage on the rest of us.

humptydumpty Sun 06-Dec-20 19:17:45

TBH my personal opinion is that I strongly resent the crowds of people in Regent Street and Nottingham as they may lead to the imposition of yet another period of lockdown on me and many others who have kept to social distancing etc. and we will be suffering this through no fault of our own.

Lucca Sun 06-Dec-20 18:58:04

“ Personally, I’d have put all the clinically vulnerable & the over 65’s under house arrest until we found the vaccine & let everyone else get on with it.”
No thanks! Why should we who are capable of being careful be locked away?
Including those teachers over 65?