Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anyone fed up with people not following the rules

(248 Posts)
Blue5 Sun 13-Dec-20 15:51:27

Do people not understand the rules . Am in tier 2 and the amount of people having visitors in my neighbourhood is unbelievable . Not seen my grandchildren for weeks or spending Xmas with them .Does anyone else think its selfish.

Sophiasnana Tue 15-Dec-20 17:19:06

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I am sick of the whole thing. The average age of people dying from covid is 83. We are bringing the country to its knees financially and socially to try to protect this minority. 25% more people have died from cancer and heart attacks because all we care about is Covid! My 86 year old mother heartily agrees with me!

Eloethan Tue 15-Dec-20 17:47:33

I tend to agree with you Sophiasnana. There has been no proper and consistent strategy, and the whole thing is completely chaotic.

I think people should follow the basic rules - wash hands regularly, don't spend time in crowds, wear a mask in enclosed public areas - but now there is so much conflicting information that I too am sick of the whole thing.

So many people have missed out on timely medical diagnosis and treatment and it may well turn out that the deaths resulting from all these restrictions exceed the deaths from Covid. As has already been mentioned in the media, there has been a explosion of mental health crises and countless numbers of people teetering on the edge of destitution - and who knows what the long term effects of that may be.

d

Anniebach Tue 15-Dec-20 18:18:28

So the elderly can die so others can have the Christmas they
want .

Christmas - Christ , no wine and beer is the priority

Lucca Tue 15-Dec-20 19:18:56

Annie this may be a first,....I totally agree!!

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 19:27:08

Sophiasnana

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I am sick of the whole thing. The average age of people dying from covid is 83. We are bringing the country to its knees financially and socially to try to protect this minority. 25% more people have died from cancer and heart attacks because all we care about is Covid! My 86 year old mother heartily agrees with me!

25% more people than what?

Do you have any evidence?

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 19:27:22

Anniebach

So the elderly can die so others can have the Christmas they
want .

Christmas - Christ , no wine and beer is the priority

I agree.

MayBee70 Tue 15-Dec-20 19:35:36

Someone in the next village to me has just died of COVID. She was in her early 50’s.

Sophiasnana Tue 15-Dec-20 20:23:50

Growstuff....25% more people have died of heart attacks and cancer than normally do in the last nine months. Google it if you want evidence. And my husband is still waiting for a heart operation he should have had in February because guess what? All the NHS is interested in is Covid.

Sophiasnana Tue 15-Dec-20 20:26:01

And the average dying from covid is 83 in Scotland.....normal life expectancy is 77! We are crippling the country for what???
It makes my blood boil.

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 20:27:06

Sophiasnana

Growstuff....25% more people have died of heart attacks and cancer than normally do in the last nine months. Google it if you want evidence. And my husband is still waiting for a heart operation he should have had in February because guess what? All the NHS is interested in is Covid.

I was just asking because I wasn't clear about what you meant.

So what do you think the NHS should have done? Should they have let the Covid patients die?

The problem is that the NHS didn't have the spare capacity to carry on as normal AND deal with extra patients from the pandemic.

Sophiasnana Tue 15-Dec-20 20:30:03

And Anniebach, its nothing to do with having ‘christmas’. I couldnt care less about that. I do care about the fact that we are being completely brainwashed. Its like living in a weird sci-fi movie.

Anniebach Tue 15-Dec-20 20:34:01

Sophiasnana why not start a thread - ‘ whose life is of value
and whose life is of no value ‘ .

You can list fellow posters who are 75 and over at the top of your list

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 20:34:46

Sorry, but I can't find any reliable evidence to back up your claim that 25% more people have died from heart attacks or cancer since March.

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 20:35:49

Sophiasnana

And Anniebach, its nothing to do with having ‘christmas’. I couldnt care less about that. I do care about the fact that we are being completely brainwashed. Its like living in a weird sci-fi movie.

You seem to have been subject to brainwashing yourself.

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 20:37:56

Anniebach

Sophiasnana why not start a thread - ‘ whose life is of value
and whose life is of no value ‘ .

You can list fellow posters who are 75 and over at the top of your list

It's not just age Annie. Many younger people have pre-existing conditions and are high risk but could expect to have many years ahead of them.

I think the idea that it's OK if older people die because they were on the verge of it anyway is disgusting.

SuzannahM Tue 15-Dec-20 20:53:16

It's not just about the people dying though, is it? Or about how old someone is.

A colleague of my OH, about 50, contracted Covid about 5 months ago and now has major organ problems and has been in hospital three times. Each time he comes out he is a little bit weaker.

Last week we heard sadly that my neighbour's son, about 28, is back in hospital. He contracted Covid about two months ago, and we understood he was recovering slowly but then he was rushed into hospital unable to breathe and is still there. A lovely man, married last year with a three month year old baby. He's an ambulance driver, which maybe how he caught it.

We'll be paying for the effects of this virus for a long time after the virus has disappeared.

Sophiasnana Tue 15-Dec-20 21:11:00

MayBee70

Someone in the next village to me has just died of COVID. She was in her early 50’s.

Growstuff.....BBC news 14/11/20. Over 5000 more people have died of heart problems since the start of the pandemic, than would normally be expected, due to Hospital cardiac departments being closed. Our hospital is like the Marie Celeste at the moment!

Sophiasnana Tue 15-Dec-20 21:16:10

And growstuff, your comment about me being brain washed was insulting. We are all entitled to our opinions!

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 22:24:34

Sophiasnana

And growstuff, your comment about me being brain washed was insulting. We are all entitled to our opinions!

As are the people YOU accused of being brainwashed!

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 22:25:18

Sophiasnana

MayBee70

Growstuff.....BBC news 14/11/20. Over 5000 more people have died of heart problems since the start of the pandemic, than would normally be expected, due to Hospital cardiac departments being closed. Our hospital is like the Marie Celeste at the moment!

That's nowhere near 25%.

growstuff Tue 15-Dec-20 22:28:04

I agree with you Suzannah.

MayBee70 Tue 15-Dec-20 22:53:26

So why exactly has your husbands heart operation been cancelled? Is it because the hospital is short staffed because the staff have the virus. Or that the intensive care unit is full of COVID patients and it would be dangerous for the operation to take place. What is your solution to the problem?

Sophiasnana Wed 16-Dec-20 09:35:53

MayBee70, do you honestly think the NHS actually explain why his operation is cancelled? Of course not. I only know that when he attended for his angiogram our local hospital is practically empty. My friends daughter actually works in the dept and tells her they are doing very little, and only seeing a few outpatients every day.
By the way I worked for the NHS for over 40 years. I just think the whole covid thing has been badly mishandled.

growstuff Wed 16-Dec-20 09:53:10

How do you think the NHS could have handled the situation better?

Presumably your friend's daughter does know why her department is only seeing a few outpatients every day. Your DH was obviously prioritised, if he had an appointment.

I expect you realise that staff from cardiac care units have been reassigned to Covid care. What else could they do?

growstuff Wed 16-Dec-20 09:58:25

Incidentally, outpatient appointments at my local hospital have been carried out online wherever possible.