Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are you re-thinking Christmas?

(45 Posts)
GrandmaKT Mon 14-Dec-20 13:58:56

I've just been listening to Jeremy Vine talking about whether the risks are now too high to get together at Christmas, and it has un-nerved me.
When the govt. said it was OK for 3 families to get together over Christmas, we went ahead and arranged for our DS, DIL and 2 GC aged 7 and 5 to come up to us as usual for Christmas. They are in Hampshire and we are Merseyside (both currently tier 2).
My DH and I are both in good health with no underlying health conditions, although DH is 70.
Now the figures seem to be going through the roof and I am wondering if it's worth it! Although we would love to see them, we are going ahead with it mainly for the GC, who are very excited about coming up.
Has anyone else changed plans and if so how did the family take it?

Shrub Tue 15-Dec-20 13:16:37

Yes, I shall now be on my own! Much safer to all of us.

Jaxjacky Tue 15-Dec-20 13:41:42

I think, just reading the news, there may wee be a government u turn.

Jaxjacky Tue 15-Dec-20 13:43:10

Well!!

Anniezee Tue 15-Dec-20 14:39:11

A doctor on TV said this morning that the relaxation of the Covid rules for 5 days at Christmas would be disastrous in the spread of the virus. Just because the government has said you can, doesn't mean you should. It is not a normal Christmas and I think it is foolish, even dangerous, to try and make it such. However, the genie is now out of the bottle now and even if the government changes their mind, people are going to do what they want irrespective. Be prepared for total lockdown in January 2021. So sad.

Rosalyn69 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:15:50

I'm surprised that people made plans for Christmas so far in advance in anticipation that this would all be over. It's far from over. We shall see our son and his wife who are in our bubble and that's it.
That said people make their own decisions and have to live (or die) by them.
Is it really that important to hug a granny for Christmas? My BIL hasn't been able to see his grandchildren other than through a window or on facetime since March. Not once have I heard him complain. He's extremely vulnerable and everyone respects that.

rosie1959 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:21:36

No not likely to change plans unless anybody is ill
Have been looking after my grandaughter since the summer And my son is in our bubble so him and his children will visit

Urmstongran Tue 15-Dec-20 15:35:15

Seems most of Europe’s leaders have relaxed their rules for Christmas too. It’s not just Boris!

eazybee Tue 15-Dec-20 16:15:27

Last year I was with twelve people. This year five.

Nothing to do with covid, simply the way things have worked out.

bonfirebirthday Tue 15-Dec-20 16:30:38

I suspect the whole of the UK will be back in total lockdown in January, particularly with the infection rates rising again. I wonder what the NHS and front line workers think about Christmas being allowed to go ahead. I assume the population was given the green light for Xmas as the powers that be knew that any unwelcome directives would have been ignored. I am sure people could have managed without a 'traditional' Christmas for one year.

Kate1949 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:22:54

We usually go to my sister's. There are six of us including my two nephews. The nephews have now moved out but are going back for Christmas, so we would be three households. We've decided not to go.

Our daughter then asked us to hers. Just her and son-in-law who have both had the virus. However, our granddaughter will be there who has been seeing her boyfriend and his family. After much deliberation, we are staying here by ourselves. It's not ideal but hopefully it's only one year. We haven't been in anyone else's house since March. It's not nice but it had to be done.

NotTooOld Wed 16-Dec-20 16:01:26

No planning changes here. Despite kindly meant invitations from AC we are staying put on our own. It's not long until we get a vaccine so why rock the boat?

Luckygirl Wed 16-Dec-20 16:17:12

When the govt. said it was OK for 3 families to get together over Christmas

Honestly I do not think that anyone thinks it is "OK" - and the government knows for sure that it is not. They are just trying to: (1) Curry favour with the electorate and (2) Avoid making a rule that they cannot police and have no control over.

Neither of the above reasons means that it is OK, as the medics are struggling to tell us.

Ellianne Wed 16-Dec-20 16:21:32

I think the added advice not to mix with anyone outside the 3 chosen households from this Friday onwards is sensible.

growstuff Wed 16-Dec-20 16:27:53

Luckygirl

*When the govt. said it was OK for 3 families to get together over Christmas*

Honestly I do not think that anyone thinks it is "OK" - and the government knows for sure that it is not. They are just trying to: (1) Curry favour with the electorate and (2) Avoid making a rule that they cannot police and have no control over.

Neither of the above reasons means that it is OK, as the medics are struggling to tell us.

I agree. Johnson doesn't want to make another U turn after the promise of Christmas goodies.

Luckygirl Wed 16-Dec-20 16:32:41

Indeed growstuff - and people will pay with their lives .

EllanVannin Wed 16-Dec-20 16:46:10

Ideally, BJ should have said ages ago that there'll be no visiting this Christmas, but what do you think everyone would have said or done if he'd said that ? Up in arms, I'd have thought. Will he now get the blame if/when anyone dies ?

A hug from everyone or Covid ? The choice is yours.

growstuff Wed 16-Dec-20 16:48:46

EllanVannin

Ideally, BJ should have said ages ago that there'll be no visiting this Christmas, but what do you think everyone would have said or done if he'd said that ? Up in arms, I'd have thought. Will he now get the blame if/when anyone dies ?

A hug from everyone or Covid ? The choice is yours.

Maybe he needs to start being a leader and not going with the flow.

He should try being a real manager, who often have to make unpopular decisions.

Lucca Wed 16-Dec-20 16:58:01

Can’t find if this has been mentioned anywhere but I’m disgusted that the government has threatened legal action against schools that close early. This just proves how little respect the teaching profession is given, that they are not deemed able to make a sensible decision.

Grannynise Wed 16-Dec-20 17:41:35

We will be eating a picnic lunch in the garden with my DD, SIL and DGD. Well wrapped up and I expect they'll not stay long! Hopefully that's a healthy compromise. Viruses don't recognise Christmas as far as I know.