Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Travelling to family for Christmas?

(89 Posts)
Mirren Tue 15-Dec-20 10:18:52

We have been very cautious as regards the virus all year, not taking any risks at all . In the summer lull we managed to see all 4 of our children and our little grandchildren but that's it. We managed to see a little more of our daughters in Edinburgh ( not much though) but have only seen our beloved son and his lovely wife and 2 little girls once since January. They live in Berkshire. We live in Northumberland.
As soon as Boris announced the Christmas details we arranged to go to them for Christmas.
We will be terribly careful. No other mixing etc . I don't think I will even dare to visit the loo in motorway services on the journey.
Now the latest news is the rise in the south with a new variant virus.
I am a GP , was retired, now back working during the pandemic so I fully understand the details and the risks.
However, I still don't know what to do. I really don't want to disappoint my son and family. However, with the vaccine being released this week I wonder if we should delay?
What would everyone else do?

moggie57 Thu 17-Dec-20 12:04:31

Not worth the risk

OmaforMaya Thu 17-Dec-20 10:05:14

sodapop

I really can't understand this obsession with Christmas family gatherings given the current circumstances. A lot of us have not seen any of our families for well over a year and in some cases a lot more.
If you have to come on here and ask the question then that should tell you something. I'm really losing patience with it all now.

Sodapop I totally agree with you. We are adults and after the year we have come through why are these questions still being asked? My family live in the Netherlands and I havent seen them since last Christmas. (Thank goodness for technology) I miss them like crazy but circumstances are what they are and the whole world is in the same position. We all know what we should be doing for our own and our families safety. Keep safe everyone and have a Happy Christmas wherever you are. tchwinktchwink

dragonfly46 Thu 17-Dec-20 09:12:06

My DD and SiL have just taken a Covid test to ensure they will be Covid free and are isolating before they come. Fortunately they have no children.

Shropshirelass Thu 17-Dec-20 09:04:49

It is just one Christmas, I would delay a visit to be on the safe side, it is just not worth the risk however hard it is not to see family. The vaccine is light at the end of the tunnel, almost there. Stay safe.

Hithere Thu 17-Dec-20 03:40:45

This is only the nth thread that will be opened for this same question - still 9 days for xmas.

Sloegin Thu 17-Dec-20 01:43:30

As an ex nurse it's refreshing to read that there's a doctor who's being cautious! Sorry, but we nurses years ago used to say ' do they think they're sterile' when some of them were less than careful about prevention of cross infection! I know of a consultant in our local hospital who had a dinner party last week! But of course you're a woman and I think generally women are more careful. My advice; if you isolate as much as possible before journey and family do the same, drive down limiting contact with others ( for a pee go off motorway and find a secluded spot behind a hedge). Try to resist hugging, ventilate house as much as possible and isolate on return. I would go in your situation but unfortunately my family are in Wales and England and we're in Northern Ireland so we're not seeing anyone. Can't wait for the vaccine.

Jillybird Thu 17-Dec-20 01:23:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SusieB50 Wed 16-Dec-20 23:36:14

I’m in a support bubble with my DD and family, they have been in quarantine since the weekend as the GC have been in contact with cases at school . Fortunate in a way as it means they will have been isolating for two weeks before Christmas . So we will be together and will meet DS and family for a walk and a drink and presents before Christmas lunch , probably outside or with the patio doors open ! DH died last NY eve so it will be a difficult day for us all .

misty34 Wed 16-Dec-20 23:29:19

I thought we had been asked not to stay overnight during the Chrismas relaxation? It was on the news earlier today.
Also not to visit in an area that is a different tier to your own. Not sure if this is relevant in this case

Hetty58 Wed 16-Dec-20 22:58:01

I totally agree with Luckygirl that it makes no sense to take risks after all the months of sacrifices we've made.

Of course, we won't be totally happy spending Christmas day all alone. We are big girls now though - so we'll cope and make the best of it.

We've all seen the consequences of Thanksgiving after all. The locals planning get togethers are now dubbed the 'Suicide brigade'!

GrandmaKT Wed 16-Dec-20 22:36:16

We are in the same boat (in fact I started another thread about it earlier in the week). We've just had a phone call with DS and DIL and decided that they will go ahead with their xmas visit to us. They haven't been mixing with anyone (wfh) and neither have we. The kids have been in school of course but nobody at their school has been diagnosed. Looking forward to a quiet family Christmas with lots of country walks and board games.

earnshaw Wed 16-Dec-20 21:16:45

as a GP you surely know the risks , they are just not worth taking.

growstuff Wed 16-Dec-20 19:22:48

SunnySusie I'm in the same category as you and had worked out it will be some months before I'm called for my jab. It depends how long it takes to get the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccination ready.

Jayt Wed 16-Dec-20 19:16:46

I would not travel this Christmas. Your son would be much more disappointed if you caught the virus and were hospitalised (or worse). You say you are a GP. What would you advise me to do if I came to you for advice? We have come this far with minimal contact with our families. Put off travelling for a bit longer to help everyone to keep safe.

SunnySusie Wed 16-Dec-20 18:41:11

Sorry correction to my last post. DH says there are 13.8 million in the queue for Covid jabs before us (we are age 67) and they each need two injections, so 27.6 million jabs need to be given before our turn rolls around. Even if they are vaccinating 1 million a week we are in for quite a wait. Sorry to be gloomy. Better weather hopefully will turn up first.

growstuff Wed 16-Dec-20 18:26:29

aonk

Gwyneth I said I would be having the vaccine so I’m not irresponsible at all. I simply said I have no faith that it will produce the results that people are hoping for.

I agree with you about that.

It will be some time until scientists know the effect on transmission in the "real world".

They're very limited in a lab situation because it wouldn't be ethical to conduct an experiment with an infected person breathing over a group of people, half of whom have been vaccinated and half not.

All we do know is that trials have shown that most people get less sick. That will save lives and reduce the pressure on health services, but we just don't know any more.

SunnySusie Wed 16-Dec-20 17:57:11

Using figures from the BBC web site I worked out there are 14 million people in the UK who will get their vaccination before me (age 67 and in group 5). Given they all need two jabs and at a rate of 140,000 a week it will be a couple of years before my turn rolls around. Sincerely hoping there is some master plan to address the sheer numbers and speed things up, but I am afraid that the vaccine may not be 'just around the corner' for some of us. I realise that fatality and infection rates should come down as more people are protected, and of course the better weather will help, but we are certainly not out of the woods. Despite all this if I were in your position Mirren I would cancel the Christmas visit. Staying in someone elses house is surely the biggest risk of all, particularly with children involved. The only thing that might make me inclined to go would be if the host family could return a couple of negative tests, maybe a week before and the day before, but I dont even know if that is possible to do.

aonk Wed 16-Dec-20 17:09:08

Gwyneth I said I would be having the vaccine so I’m not irresponsible at all. I simply said I have no faith that it will produce the results that people are hoping for.

growstuff Wed 16-Dec-20 16:17:37

Gwyneth

I presume you mean me aonk* . You really have misinterpreted what I have said here. Of course I miss my family as do most people and you have upset me by implying that I don’t care. If you read my post again you will see that I want my family to be safe and well. That is CARING. As for your comment about the vaccine that is your choice but in my view it’s irresponsible. I love and care for my family that is why I will be having the vaccine as soon as my turn comes.

I agree with you. Some people are more resilient than others, but it doesn't mean they care any less.

Luckygirl Wed 16-Dec-20 16:12:56

aonk - I hear what you are saying and agree that no-one is going to be pleased about this. But I am reconciled to it - it is how it has to be; and it is a shame to reject the alternatives (like zoom) - we should treasure the opportunities we do have to make contact by whatever means.

Susieq62 Wed 16-Dec-20 16:12:12

You live in a beautiful part of the country. You can zoom, Skype, WhatsApp over the Christmas period. Stay safe and well is my advice . Once vaccinated then you can mix. Don’t jeopardise it all now.

4allweknow Wed 16-Dec-20 16:07:37

I have family who live in the south of England. Booked flights months ago for a two week stay over Christmas. When the 5 day dates were announced changed flights at huge cost to comply with the laws. Now, only today, with reports on the increasing levels all over the place I have decided to cancel my visit. Absolutely gutted. I took account of if I contracted the virus my son & family would have to isolate too plus if the worst happened I didn't relish the thought of being in a hospital and my family having all the responsibility for me whilst in and if course on discharge. The risk is not worth taking the chance.

Luckygirl Wed 16-Dec-20 16:05:08

My thoughts have been dominated by the idea that I have waded my way through the most difficult 8 months of my life - OH died in February, lockdown followed etc. etc. I just think that it has taken so much of my energy and strength to get this far that there is no point throwing in the towel when the finishing line is visible in the distance.

I would not make that journey and risk bringing the virus back and forth from one end of the country to another. Organise to have a jolly Easter maybe when things might have eased a bit - all this easing of vigilance now in the months when all viruses make merry simply makes no sense to me.

I will be on my own on Christmas Day and accept that this is how it has to be. It took me a while to get to this point.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 16-Dec-20 15:52:17

I shan't be travelling to visit anyone or inviting them here until we all have been vaccinated.

It just isn't worth the risk.

Your family know you love them. Stay at home, that way you will all be safe.

If you are back in practice during the pandemic, how come you are taking time off at Christmas?

Gwyneth Wed 16-Dec-20 15:50:06

I presume you mean me aonk* . You really have misinterpreted what I have said here. Of course I miss my family as do most people and you have upset me by implying that I don’t care. If you read my post again you will see that I want my family to be safe and well. That is CARING. As for your comment about the vaccine that is your choice but in my view it’s irresponsible. I love and care for my family that is why I will be having the vaccine as soon as my turn comes.