Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Black and ethnic minorities less likely to agree to the Covid-19 vaccine.

(42 Posts)
JenniferEccles Thu 17-Dec-20 09:55:14

This surprising finding was reported on the news last night.
A few people in those groups were interviewed. One said she preferred to use natural remedies like honey, lemon and garlic. Another trusted in God and another appeared to believe in the daft microchips in the vaccine theory.

They must surely be well aware that they are the groups most at risk of becoming seriously ill with the virus, so their views are all the more astonishing.

We have to hope those attitudes are in the minority.

B9exchange Thu 17-Dec-20 11:11:51

Which news channel was it on JenniferE, it seems a bit irresponsible to report this, the media should be putting out positive reinforcement to have the vaccine from all groups in society?

janeainsworth Thu 17-Dec-20 11:13:22

I think the key thing here is that a few people were interviewed.
Hardly a scientific study.
Another media exercise in stirring up prejudice and division - just what we need hmm

petra Thu 17-Dec-20 11:21:50

According to the Gaudian yesterday 57% of BAME people will refuse the vaccine.

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Dec-20 11:32:46

It was on the BBC news at 6 B9exchange

It was in response to a report which found that people in those groups were less likely to have the vaccine.

They hadn’t come to that conclusion purely on the comments by the three people featured on the news !

It was a very surprising and worrying finding under the circumstances.

I wish they had interviewed some more sensible sounding people who could explain exactly what deters them from having the vaccine. That way any fears could perhaps be allayed.

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Dec-20 11:47:06

I completely agree that we need to be doing all we can to encourage as many people as possible to have this vaccine.

How incredibly disheartening it must be for the scientists who have worked flat out to produce these vaccines, only to find that large numbers of people will refuse them, those very groups of people who stand the most to gain.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Dec-20 11:50:42

I don’t understand why tv interviewers always have to find people with extreme views. Unfortunately some people are swayed by such things.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Dec-20 11:53:05

From some things I’ve seen/read the BAME community are suspicious if whatever the government tells them having been badly let down by them at the start of the pandemic. I just wish they could differentiate between advice from the government and advice from scientists and doctors.

growstuff Thu 17-Dec-20 12:01:49

They need local trusted leaders and healthcare professionals to carry out a public health education exercise. Unfortunately, many of them have been bypassed.

Calendargirl Thu 17-Dec-20 12:02:37

Not sure if it was on the same news item, but also showed a very elderly black couple having their jabs, the nurse was helping the lady do up her coat after the injection, then they walked off steadily together.

The nurse looked very caring, and it left a really positive message.

eazybee Thu 17-Dec-20 12:55:59

I saw the report in the 6 o'clock news, I read about it in the Telegraph, and I heard a care home manager earlier in the week discuss the reluctance of many of her staff to have the vaccine, and also that 40% had refused to take the flu vaccine, which has been tried and tested for years.
The refusal is irresponsible, and it needs to be discussed.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Dec-20 13:33:15

Did you see the interview with a surgeon who said she wouldn’t be allowed to do her job if she didn’t have a hepatitis injection?

MayBee70 Thu 17-Dec-20 13:34:46

When I worked for the NHS all of the doctors had their flu jabs every year but very few of my colleagues did. I was really surprised by that.

25Avalon Thu 17-Dec-20 13:38:36

This is the case from ongoing surveys. But it seems a large proportion of BAME are however ready to listen on the benefits so talk needs to take place.

growstuff Thu 17-Dec-20 14:00:03

25Avalon

This is the case from ongoing surveys. But it seems a large proportion of BAME are however ready to listen on the benefits so talk needs to take place.

I agree. Talk at local level needs to take place, maybe from religious leaders and medical personnel. BAME people shouldn't be lumped together. There will be all sorts of reasons why different people are suspicious.

Baggs Thu 17-Dec-20 14:37:29

B9exchange

Which news channel was it on JenniferE, it seems a bit irresponsible to report this, the media should be putting out positive reinforcement to have the vaccine from all groups in society?

Media should be putting out the truth, whatever it is, not suppressing it.

Alexa Thu 17-Dec-20 15:01:38

Maybe some ethnic minority people feel the public hygiene messages are ethnic customs of the majority culture and don;t apply to the ethnic minority culture. People from ethnic minorites tend to be not so well educated Mainstream culture propagates the hygiene messages. Bad education leaves people less able to assess the merits of vaccination.

The messages about vaccinations should have been on TV delivered by men ans women who look as if they belong to ethnic minorities.

kircubbin2000 Thu 17-Dec-20 15:04:45

Every community over the UK has a good amount of these idiots.
A local councillor and pastor here has warned against as it contains cells from aborted babies!
Is our education system at fault here or religion?

Ellianne Thu 17-Dec-20 15:14:56

The messages about vaccinations should have been on TV delivered by men and women who look as if they belong to ethnic minorities.

What about JVT? He acknowledged that people would have noticed he was from an “ethnic minority group”.
He also gave the clear message about his mum getting vaccinated.

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Dec-20 15:23:01

I wonder if language plays a part as some elderly Asians don’t speak much English.

If nobody has bothered to explain to them about the vaccine, along with dispelling any myths, this could account for at least some of the reluctance.

petra Thu 17-Dec-20 15:39:05

I get very annoyed when all ethnic minority's are lumped
together as if they share the same culture.
According to the Royal Society For Public Health confidence was lowest in the Asian community.

growstuff Thu 17-Dec-20 15:40:33

petra

I get very annoyed when all ethnic minority's are lumped
together as if they share the same culture.
According to the Royal Society For Public Health confidence was lowest in the Asian community.

So do I.

rosecarmel Thu 17-Dec-20 15:48:08

My personal findings, asking those I know and asking them to ask those they know and so forth .. only a very small percentage are saying "yes" to the vaccine- The rest are mostly on the fence, leaning towards "no"- And are not ethnic minorities-

growstuff Thu 17-Dec-20 15:49:29

What reasons do they give rosecarmel?

rosecarmel Thu 17-Dec-20 15:58:13

Mistrust, growstuff- Most believe it will slow the pandemic, revive the economy but eventually at some physical expense in the area of future side effects as has happened in the past with other injections and drugs deemed safe but became anything but-