Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Plague Island!

(96 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 22-Dec-20 14:29:49

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/worlds-media-ask-how-it-went-so-wrong-for-plague-island-britain-covid this is how Britain is being portrayed around the world. Not sure that it's quite fair but there you go.

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 17:17:48

I quite agree.
Cases are rising everywhere and in Liverpool the majority were under 40 years of age with 20% being up to 59 y.o.a.

Surely we can all see why it's spread ?

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 17:33:37

GrannyGravy13

varian

More than 1500 lorries are currently queuing in Kent

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55405299

Most of the drivers are French along with other EU drivers, Macron is basically stopping EU citizens from returning home.

Macrons fault not the UKs

It's not Macron's fault that Eire isn't allowing passengers from the UK. There are also long tailbacks at Harwich of lorries heading for Belgium. That's not Macron's fault either - nor can he be blamed for the other 60 countries which have banned passengers from the UK.

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 17:35:00

EllanVannin

I quite agree.
Cases are rising everywhere and in Liverpool the majority were under 40 years of age with 20% being up to 59 y.o.a.

Surely we can all see why it's spread ?

Why?

Nine of the places with the highest number of cases are in East London or South Essex. Why has it spread so rabidly? Would be genuinely interested.

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 17:37:44

BTW The steepest rise has been among secondary school age children. Some of the places with the highest rates were threatened with legal action when they wanted to close schools early.

Daisymae Tue 22-Dec-20 17:55:43

This isn't the British papers, it's how our situation is viewed from a variety of news sources abroad. As someone just quoted 'oh to see ourselves as others see us!'.

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 18:15:42

I think "Bash the Furriner" is going to be a popular party game this Christmas. hmm

Ellianne Tue 22-Dec-20 18:18:45

Nine of the places with the highest number of cases are in East London or South Essex. Why has it spread so rabidly? Would be genuinely interested.

At a guess population density. I'm no geographer growstuff but how would this map match up with the virus map?

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 18:20:21

Did you mean frapper l'étranger?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Dec-20 18:21:27

No bashing the foreigners from this poster, just the administration’s that closed their borders with little/no notice stranding their citizens.

Ellianne Tue 22-Dec-20 18:32:40

Callistemon

Did you mean frapper l'étranger?

This looks good.
It's called Whack a frog! £27.

biba70 Tue 22-Dec-20 18:39:06

You are a bit distrubed Ellianne- no wonder Gagajo is concerned!

I am afraid, the UK has not endeared itself to others around the world, and particularly the EU and all border countries (across the water - as Raab found out only recently) - by their behaviour in the last couple of years- and threatening neighbours with gun ships.

Ellianne Tue 22-Dec-20 18:46:21

Not sure I know what distrubed means biba!?

Ellianne Tue 22-Dec-20 20:44:48

Ellianne

Cou cou biba, that's "hello" in French by the way. Nothing to do with Swiss clocks or insane posters.
Just thought you could answer my above question svp.

GagaJo Tue 22-Dec-20 21:07:24

Oh give it a rest, Callistemon. It's boring.

We are ostracised by the rest of Europe. As a Brit I'm terrified and mortified.

GagaJo Tue 22-Dec-20 21:09:49

growstuff

BTW The steepest rise has been among secondary school age children. Some of the places with the highest rates were threatened with legal action when they wanted to close schools early.

Yes, and teachers were roundly attacked, called lazy, scroungers etc on here when they pointed out the risk.

Only to find out the new mutation is very prevalent in under 15 year olds.

Who would EVER have thought?

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 21:15:04

Australians are cursing this country for carrying the new strain to them as flights to Oz are still continuing and Morrison won't put a ban on them. But----they've come up with a brilliant idea- testing everyone who lands !

Still putting money first I notice.

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 21:19:42

Because, growstuff, this new strain started in this country !
People flying home are taking the new strain with them from here.

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 21:20:48

Which begs the question, did the virus first start in this country ? Nothing surprises me any more.

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 21:21:44

Visitors have left this country, ill !

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 21:23:27

GagaJo

Oh give it a rest, Callistemon. It's boring.

We are ostracised by the rest of Europe. As a Brit I'm terrified and mortified.

Haha, first laugh of the evening?

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 21:24:48

Even India isn't as bad as this country as regards the spread ?

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 21:26:00

China got rid of it quickly. Why are we stuck with it ? Doesn't it make anyone wonder ?

GagaJo Tue 22-Dec-20 21:26:31

That is scary, isn't it EV?

Lucretzia Tue 22-Dec-20 21:26:33

EV.

Nobody knows if this started here

We detected it

But as yet we don't know where it originated

Viruses mutate all the time

biba70 Tue 22-Dec-20 21:29:27

Ellianne

yes, we agree on this one- it is crazy that this site does not have a typo correct option.