Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Plague Island!

(96 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 22-Dec-20 14:29:49

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/worlds-media-ask-how-it-went-so-wrong-for-plague-island-britain-covid this is how Britain is being portrayed around the world. Not sure that it's quite fair but there you go.

MawBe Sat 26-Dec-20 23:19:58

I can’t believe I am alone in finding this epithet “Plague” Island both distasteful and misleading.
Yes we discovered the mutant variant (or indeed both, through tests and our own scientific expertise) but it is blatantly obvious that
1) viruses mutate all the time ,
2) there are variants in other parts of the world which most certainly did not originate in the UK.
And 3) to play the “blame game” by suggesting we are the source of the variant helps nobody.

Ellianne Sat 26-Dec-20 23:29:22

Maybe the variant did originate from the UK MawBe, maybe not. As you say, everyone likes to have somebody to blame.

vegansrock Sun 27-Dec-20 06:40:12

Does it really matter whether the variant mutated here or not? It’s here and spreading and we have to deal with it as it is.

Nanniejude Sun 27-Dec-20 07:20:41

Weak leadership and a population who bend the rules to suit are the reasons we have the second highest death rate in Europe. Also a high obesity, bame and elderly population.
Hopefully are scientists will guide us through to the other side!

GagaJo Sun 27-Dec-20 08:07:28

Possibly MawBe, but it is fine to point the finger elsewhere when changes occur. We are no different to any other country.

I remember this site from last year vividly. So many posters assuring us that we wouldn't get C19 as badly as China/Spain/Italy because we don't live in extended families/eat bats/kiss as a greeting etc etc etc.

Callistemon Sun 27-Dec-20 10:36:46

MawBe

?

There are so many people, British by birth, British by adoption, so ready to run down the whole country just because they dislike the Government in charge at a particular time.

Just because British scientists found this variant first even our own Press labels us in that way.
Who needs enemies when we have the Fifth Column within our own media?

vegansrock Sun 27-Dec-20 10:42:39

Yes there were some horrible xenophobic comments about Italians on here back in February and how we wouldn’t be affected as badly because we have proper toilets , housing , healthcare etc.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 27-Dec-20 10:42:44

Personally I think it's sour grapes because of Brexit!!

Callistemon Sun 27-Dec-20 11:30:35

Well, I must have missed all those comments vegansrock

Galaxy Sun 27-Dec-20 11:33:24

Well there have been some really unpleasant comments about the French and germans in the last few days if that's any help callistemon.

Callistemon Sun 27-Dec-20 11:40:36

I found the thread you refer to, vegansrock and it does not appear to be in the slightest xenophobic; rather it is a series of posts at the start of this pandemic, all wondering why cases in Italy were so high.
Suggestions were that Italian families care for their elderly and live in multi-generational households, that they tend to be more enthusiastic in their greetings etc.

Before we, or even scientists knew much about this virus, there were many theories as to how it spread and these were just suggestions based on fact.
The posts were not horrible, not xenophobic and were made by posters on all sides of the political spectrum.

It was just musing and speculation.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Dec-20 11:41:23

Galaxy

Well there have been some really unpleasant comments about the French and germans in the last few days if that's any help callistemon.

From what I recall the unpleasant comments were towards Macron and Merkel not the French or German populations.

Callistemon Sun 27-Dec-20 11:43:31

Galaxy

No help whatsoever but thank you smile

Are you sure it was 'The French' or just Macron, who many French people mistrust and dislike?

LauraNorder Sun 27-Dec-20 11:48:33

Callistemon

MawBe

?

There are so many people, British by birth, British by adoption, so ready to run down the whole country just because they dislike the Government in charge at a particular time.

Just because British scientists found this variant first even our own Press labels us in that way.
Who needs enemies when we have the Fifth Column within our own media?

Couldn’t agree more

Galaxy Sun 27-Dec-20 11:53:07

No it was the French, it wasnt about Macron it was about the perceived failings of the French in the war. The usual obsession.

Callistemon Sun 27-Dec-20 11:56:43

Oh!
Missed that.
Well, the French chucked out my ancestors but I don't hold a grudge
????

Ellianne Sun 27-Dec-20 11:59:58

Galaxy

I think maybe the mere use of the adjective touches a nerve with some posters more than others. So for example that "silly little French man" comment applied to Macron makes us think the entire population of France is silly and short, when they mean just the individual.

Galaxy Sun 27-Dec-20 12:07:19

No it was nothing to do with macron, not on that thread.

Ellianne Sun 27-Dec-20 12:07:23

Galaxy

No it was the French, it wasnt about Macron it was about the perceived failings of the French in the war. The usual obsession.

I'm not sure the war really has any bearing here. The word la francophobie was in the French dictionary as far back as 1932, so a century on nothing has changed.

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Dec-20 12:19:46

The British press are basically s**t stirrers, but it works, as a lot of people believe everything they read and react without any further research.