Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine groups

(142 Posts)
Sarnia Thu 24-Dec-20 11:26:49

It's just a thought but I wonder if the groups for receiving the vaccine ought to be different. After NHS and care home workers perhaps those in the 20-65 age bracket should be next. This group will largely be the ones in work and this country is in desperate need of getting the economy back on track. There are dire consequences ahead if that doesn't happen quite soon.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 13:02:22

Sarnia

With care home residents unable to travel they have to rely on the vaccine being taken to them. Movement and storage is complex so that may be why some residents have not received the jab yet.

You're right. This is what the JCVI Report says:

"JCVI appreciates that operational considerations, such as minimising wastage, may require a flexible approach, where decisions are taken in consultation with national or local public health experts. To be assured that outcome is maximised however, JCVI would like to see early and
regular comprehensive vaccine coverage data so that the Committee can respond if high priority risk groups are unable to access vaccination in a reasonable time frame."

Hopefully, the Oxford/AZ vaccine will mean that it can be taken into care homes.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 12:53:59

Write to the Joint Committee on Vaccination and
Immunisation and your MP. They're responsible for making decisions about priorities.

Blinko Thu 31-Dec-20 12:49:48

FWIW, I think people who a) must go to work and b) whose job brings them in daily contact with others, (eg. teachers, taxi drivers) should be prioritised, regardless of their age.

But those who are most likely to end up hospitalized must be first in the queue.

twinnytwin Thu 31-Dec-20 12:41:41

I'm identified as clinically extremely vulnerable and at the highest risk of becoming very unwell if I catch Covid. I have been very impressed by the information that I've been provided with whenever there's a change to circumstances. For instance within a few minutes of the announcement yesterday regarding my area going into Tier 4, I received a text message advising me with advice on what I should do. I've also received an email with the same information today. I'm in the fourth group for the vaccine, same as my DH. We have our DGDs before and after school each day term time which enables my teacher DIL and DS to go to work each day. They tell us so often that they couldn't manage without us. So despite not working ourselves, we do help to keep the economy going. We'll get vaccinated as soon as we possibly can.

Blinko Thu 31-Dec-20 12:34:46

... so using them as cannon- fodder and using teachers as babysitters- these are the facts

That's opinion, not fact.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 31-Dec-20 12:28:17

I happen to think “facts” are important when discussing issues that involve health, and would not like to think that my uniformed “opinion” may affect someone else’s decision and may cause them harm.

Galaxy Thu 31-Dec-20 12:28:10

I also have a child still in school nannan, I want facts thankyou.

Sarnia Thu 31-Dec-20 12:25:17

With care home residents unable to travel they have to rely on the vaccine being taken to them. Movement and storage is complex so that may be why some residents have not received the jab yet.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 12:21:07

It's my opinion elephants are pink.

GagaJo Thu 31-Dec-20 12:18:18

What about if you have an opinion that is factually inaccurate? Flat earth for example. Of course, you are entitled to your belief but have to expect those with knowledge of FACTS to mock you.

Bit like anti maskers.

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 12:14:57

SuzannahM* - sorry for typo.

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 12:13:59

Good point SuzannhaM

Greeneyedgirl Thu 31-Dec-20 12:12:55

I heard on radio this am that you need to be on GPs list with NHS no. to be called. I should sort this out if I were you Suzannah.

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 12:12:06

We dont need homework to have our own thoughts.I can see Growstuff is trying to supply some 'facts' but its not what we wanted.And im pleased that Growstuff would be able to 'hand in their notice' if was still in a school- but the pupils/students cannot just do that can they? As i said- some of the staff can 'work from home' yet the pupils/students cannot have that choice!!!

SuzannahM Thu 31-Dec-20 12:02:18

What I've been wondering is how are they getting the names for vaccination ? I understand the very vulnerable will come from Doctors surgeries/hospitals/etc.

But what about the rest of us? I don't even have a doctor. I was taken off his list because I didn't go to the surgery for over ten years. And I know a few other people who don't have a doctor.

So where do these lists come from? And does that mean that anyone not signed up with a surgery won't get vaccinated?

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:58:42

So then, they need to start trials to determine safety of it for children- how do they make sure the other vaccines they ALREADY do give to children are safe then??They must test/trial those mustnt they? And then licence them? Just the same?

Ellianne Thu 31-Dec-20 11:58:27

And yes Growstuff we ARE allowed OPINIONS regardless of whether it also has a FACT behind it!! ?
I agree, this shouldn't be allowed to become yet another discussion about pure facts, everyone is allowed an opinion. I do have sympathy with you Nannan2 because on page 3 I wanted to express how my feelings towards the vaccine order might have been shaped by my personal experiences but was well and truly told page 4 to go and do my homework.
Some posters, myself included, start with our emotions. We can be persuaded to change our thoughts but not driven to do so. I bow to superior knowledge and sometimes I stand corrected if things are explained without insulting me. We are all different by nature, I applaud that.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:57:16

Until it's established whether the vaccine does stop people from infecting others, even relying on others to have it won't offer people protection.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:55:37

Nannan2

Again Growstuff- we dont NEED facts for us to have OUR OWN OPINION!

Errmm ... It always helps to have facts to hold an informed opinion.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:54:35

I also realise that those in the "at risk" group have not been ordered to stay at home. I've written in the past that I'm extremely grateful that I no longer work in schools because I would be one of the people "at risk" and I'd probably have to hand in my notice because I wouldn't take the risk.

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:53:14

Again Growstuff- we dont NEED facts for us to have OUR OWN OPINION!

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:51:10

They need to hurry up and get it licenced for ALL then dont they??And the vaccine should be made compulory- so long as its safe to do so- all this pussyfooting around and oh i dont know if i want it! Dont these folk want to be safe then?Just relying on everyone else having it to then make you safe is not good enough- medically nor morally!

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:50:37

The guidance was updated yesterday:

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948338/jcvi-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-dec-2020.pdf

I know all that Nannan, but the vaccine isn't licensed for children. Even if it were, it has not been established whether it would stop children from infecting others, who need greater protection. That's not an opinion. It's a fact (two facts).

Galaxy Thu 31-Dec-20 11:45:51

I am working in schools nannan, putting things in capitals isnt helping me. The vaccine hasnt been licensed for children. This isnt a controversial opinion it's just what it is.

MissAdventure Thu 31-Dec-20 11:45:25

I'm now reading that there is a problem with the 12 week gap between the first and second dose being different than was trialled?