Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine groups

(141 Posts)
Sarnia Thu 24-Dec-20 11:26:49

It's just a thought but I wonder if the groups for receiving the vaccine ought to be different. After NHS and care home workers perhaps those in the 20-65 age bracket should be next. This group will largely be the ones in work and this country is in desperate need of getting the economy back on track. There are dire consequences ahead if that doesn't happen quite soon.

M0nica Thu 24-Dec-20 11:34:14

But they are the group that suffer least when they get it. Those most vulnerable should get it first.

Sarnia Thu 24-Dec-20 11:41:52

M0nica

But they are the group that suffer least when they get it. Those most vulnerable should get it first.

I feel that these are the ones who are driving the economy and are out and about more, so merrily passing it on to others who can really be affected by it.

Tangerine Thu 24-Dec-20 11:42:13

As with so many important decisions in life, there is never an entirely right or wrong answer.

I understand the logic behind Sarnia's post to some degree but think we do need to look after the most vulnerable people in society first.

You can't just throw people on the scrapheap. I am sure that is not what Sarnia truly wants either.

Sarnia Thu 24-Dec-20 12:04:53

Tangerine

As with so many important decisions in life, there is never an entirely right or wrong answer.

I understand the logic behind Sarnia's post to some degree but think we do need to look after the most vulnerable people in society first.

You can't just throw people on the scrapheap. I am sure that is not what Sarnia truly wants either.

Most definitely not. All of us are important and deserve care, love and dignity no matter who we are or how old we are and irrespective of our circumstances. I fear for our economy as much as the health of our nation. As you say there isn't a right or wrong answer.

M0nica Fri 25-Dec-20 18:33:56

Sarnia you should not under estimate the contribution that older people make to the economy. Get rid of us and the economy would collapse.

Retitement age is 67 and more and more people work beyond retirement age, by choice and because they have skills otherwise in short supply, especially when coupled with years of experience. Many of us are paying taxes on our incomes, we are very important to specific industries like tourism, food retail, and many earning their living from the medical and care industries. Get rid of us and where do they get their livings from?

The fact of the matter is that we cannot afford to sacrifice any specific age group, we are all interwoven with each other and interdependent. The vaccine should go to those most at risk and in this pandemic it is the elderly.

Willow73 Fri 25-Dec-20 18:49:49

I think the same as you Sarnia. All NHS staff, police, firepersons. Then children and students. Then theres reduced chance of teachers getting it and schools Unis etc can get back to normal quickly.
Why do we who don't go out much need it first, if like me we childmind even then the children will be vaccinated.

growstuff Fri 25-Dec-20 19:47:24

Children CANNOT be vaccinated because trials have not taken place. Even if they were, it has not been established that they would not pass on infection.

growstuff Fri 25-Dec-20 19:49:25

I apologise to those who are fed up my repeating the above. It's not my opinion. It's fact. There is a very good reason the order for vaccines was decided.

Hetty58 Fri 25-Dec-20 20:00:38

Good reasons for the current plan are:

1 - There is (as yet) no proof that vaccination prevents transmission:

fortune.com/2020/12/22/covid-vaccine-infectious-face-masks-transmission/

2 - Think about the numbers of people involved. There are far fewer beyond retirement age:

www.statista.com/statistics/281174/uk-population-by-age/

Lucca Fri 25-Dec-20 20:03:22

Police and teachers please.

growstuff Fri 25-Dec-20 20:08:04

Lucca

Police and teachers please.

Let the NHS get on with vaccinating those most likely to die without people squabbling about which groups are more important.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 25-Dec-20 20:12:23

Surely it’s a matter of the NHS being overwhelmed and it’s on average over 60s who are taking up hospital beds, so it seems logical for vaccs to be prioritised for NHS workers and elderly.

We are not merely economic units but human beings, and I we should bear this in mind too.

Liz46 Fri 25-Dec-20 20:15:00

I think this country has done well to get the vaccinations started. Three of my neighbours have had the first one - two are over 80 and the other is in the NHS.

I am clinically extremely vulnerable and am in group 4. I rather wish I was higher up but will carry on staying away from people as much as possible.

growstuff Fri 25-Dec-20 20:49:07

Greeneyedgirl

Surely it’s a matter of the NHS being overwhelmed and it’s on average over 60s who are taking up hospital beds, so it seems logical for vaccs to be prioritised for NHS workers and elderly.

We are not merely economic units but human beings, and I we should bear this in mind too.

I agree with your last sentence.

It would be a very sad day if people were prioritised in their order of value to the economy. There is no doubt that culling the elderly would result in other people being wealthier.

The cost to the NHS for people in the last year or so of their lives is disproportionate. We could refuse to fund expensive operations, unless people were worth it in economic terms. Most elderly people are economically inactive. They might pay tax, but they also live in housing which is excessive to their needs. If they were to die, their wealth could be redistributed.

I'm afraid that from a purely economic perspective, there are plenty of reasons not to prioritise the elderly and vulnerable. I'm glad that I live in a society which does prioritise them at times. We would be on a slippery downwards slope if we didn't. How about the seriously disabled? Should we cull them too?

farview Fri 25-Dec-20 21:30:58

I'm really really not sure yet that I would want the vaccine...and if I had to have it...my gut feeling would be for the Oxford vaccine....tin hat on now and behind the settee...

Lucca Fri 25-Dec-20 21:57:03

Grow stuff. I don’t think I’m squabbling ?! Just my thoughts but equally I’m very happy to accept whatever c the NHS do.

OceanMama Fri 25-Dec-20 22:04:43

I can see both sides of this. Not for economic reasons, but because the younger age groups move around a lot more and are more likely to be spreading it. Preventing the younger age groups from spreading it would also serve to protect the older and more vulnerable populations. Maybe there is middle ground? Vaccinate the more vulnerable elderly and the highly mobile (by occupation) younger people? In any case, it's been decided and it will be what it will be.

OceanMama Fri 25-Dec-20 22:07:37

farview

I'm really really not sure yet that I would want the vaccine...and if I had to have it...my gut feeling would be for the Oxford vaccine....tin hat on now and behind the settee...

I'll come join you. I'm quite happy to let other groups go first. It gives us a chance to see what happens among that group and learn more about the vaccine when used more widely. I'd like that kind of data before I make a decision.

Hetty58 Fri 25-Dec-20 22:09:42

OceanMama, there is no proof that vaccination prevents people from spreading it.

Hetty58 Fri 25-Dec-20 22:10:48

The vaccine stops most people becoming seriously ill with it, that's all.

Blinko Fri 25-Dec-20 22:11:52

It's not really about whether people are economically active or not though, surely. It's about who's filling up hospital beds. And that's the very elderly. That's why they're first in line.

Hetty58 Fri 25-Dec-20 22:12:35

I'm having my vaccine asap. 'Wait and see' is not an option when I want to survive!

OceanMama Fri 25-Dec-20 22:15:01

Hetty58

OceanMama, there is no proof that vaccination prevents people from spreading it.

Are you saying that someone who is vaccinated can still be infected and infectious yet not develop symptoms? If so, that would create a more dangerous situation. Do you have any information from the NHS about that? I haven't looked into any of that yet as I'm not in line for a vaccine so haven't felt the need.

I just think, if it prevents the spread by making people immune, people like carers in aged care facilities, or who provide in home care to multiple people, should be high priority. That protects multiple elderly and (maybe) prevents spread via one carrier.

OceanMama Fri 25-Dec-20 22:23:14

Hetty58

I'm having my vaccine asap. 'Wait and see' is not an option when I want to survive!

The only thing I'm worried about is the potential for long Covid. Though I'm not entirely convinced I didn't have Covid at the start of the year. It might have just been a bad cold though.