Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

We should have locked down earlier

(118 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:37:57

The government was strongly advised to lock down around half term in order to avoid NHS overload.

It ignored the advise.

Consequence

We are already at a higher level than during the spring, and we haven’t even seen the Christmas and New Year infections begin to take effect.

Hundreds of extra beds in the form of Nightingale hospitals were built at massive cost.

The government were warned at the time that it would not be possible to staff them.
Nine months later not a single extra clinician has been trained for them. They are now being dismantled, even though we know that there will be an absolute tsunami in a few weeks time when the NHS may well be overwhelmed.

Of course we could take the attitude of JH-Brewer and ignore lockdown, because it is only the old who suffer badly and they according to Brewer seem expendable.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 17:24:51

cornishpatsy

So many people with a degree in hindsight that know exactly what should have been done.

Such a shame governments and scientists did not contact the experts on social media.

It isn’t about hindsight. No one needed that. The government were warned as early as September. The decisions it has made has caused unnecessary deaths and enormous problems to the NHS.

Ellianne Tue 29-Dec-20 17:37:35

Schools shouldn't go back until the beginning of March next year as the new strain also affects children.
I agree ish, but I've been trying to work this one out EllanVannin. As time goes by pupils will have lost a whole year of face to face teaching. The problem is we could put them all back a year, which wouldn't be the end of the world, but what then would happen with next year's intake? Reception would become rising 6's? Again not a bad idea, but the whole system would need a revamp.
Or do we just let pupils carry on and lower expectations?
It was impossible to foresee this predicament in March 2020.

MawBe Tue 29-Dec-20 17:42:07

Daisymae

Over 50000 new cases reported today. Tier 5 here we come. Not exactly sure what tier 5 is, but but there's a consensus that 4 hadn't worked.

Is that the one where you’re not allowed to look out of the window?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 17:46:47

I think that the children should all be put back a year, if at all possible.

It would give everyone breathing space to decide a way forward.

Casdon Tue 29-Dec-20 17:50:46

The scientists were advising the Government to be much more cautious and were disregarded consistently cornishpatsy, it’s not unexpected that many on gransnet would listen to them rather than politicians?

Ellianne Tue 29-Dec-20 18:03:01

Whitewavemark2

Yes, if all years had to do this there is no stigma attached to repeating the year. I think youngsters would accept this ( with a bit of grumbling!)
Sometimes a breathing space is a good.

MayBee70 Tue 29-Dec-20 18:06:34

Children will not be going back to school. DD is already planning home schooling again. We all know that children, at this moment in time, shouldn’t go back to school. Why don’t the government just announce it now?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 18:07:13

Watching my grandson in his GCSE year, it has been incredibly difficult for them and not remotely conducive to quality teaching or study.

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Dec-20 18:15:49

MayBee70 not everyone can do that, key workers for a start and the self employed along with others who don’t get paid if they don’t work. Never mind the vulnerable children, for whom schools is a sanctuary.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 18:20:27

Whitewavemark2

I think that would be a reasonable thing to do.

They've lost half of last year and it looks as if 2020/21 could be a disaster too.
Yes, many are working diligently at home and teachers are doing their best but not all have the advantages of a laptop and parents who can help.
It would give them all a level playing field.

What would happen to higher and further education though?

Nezumi65 Tue 29-Dec-20 18:26:11

God no do not put them back a year. My youngest cannot wait to get out of school & on with his life. He is very ready to move onto the next stage. If he had to do another year at school I think he would switch off entirely and I wouldn’t blame him. He sees little relevance in GCSEs anyway - spending another year on then would ensure he switched off from education completely.

A levels and GCSE’s are tick box exams designed to separate out kids for future courses/careers. They do not impart much knowledge that is useful for work (or university in most cases, I’m sure anything that is needed at uni could be delivered as a catch up anyway, there will be very little. If there really is a lot then insist on a foundation year - a few unis do this already for people who just miss grades.)

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 18:39:51

I agree with you Nezumi. I think the idea of "catch up" is silly too because nobody, apart from the government, says that young people have to be able to do certain things at a certain age. It's the government which sets the targets.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 18:42:51

Jaxjacky

MayBee70 not everyone can do that, key workers for a start and the self employed along with others who don’t get paid if they don’t work. Never mind the vulnerable children, for whom schools is a sanctuary.

Schools could remain available for them.

It needn't be a question of either/or. However, schools must be made safer and one way that could be done would be to have fewer individuals in each classroom.

PS. People need to decide whether schools are about education or providing childcare.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 18:44:09

Whitewavemark2

cornishpatsy

So many people with a degree in hindsight that know exactly what should have been done.

Such a shame governments and scientists did not contact the experts on social media.

It isn’t about hindsight. No one needed that. The government were warned as early as September. The decisions it has made has caused unnecessary deaths and enormous problems to the NHS.

I've been saying the same thing for months. Nothing to do with hindsight.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 19:06:44

God no do not put them back a year. My youngest cannot wait to get out of school & on with his life.

I don't think they'd change the school leaving age. We'd need a certain number to take up apprenticeships, university places etc anyway. Perhaps it could be an option?

It could have merit in some cases.
It happens in France (or did)

Ellianne Tue 29-Dec-20 19:08:14

That's a good idea about a foundation year run by the universities Nezumi. Then the students could get the appropriate preparation they need for their studies.

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 19:09:48

Marmight

Rufus & Lucca Of course I’m well aware that Australia is not a small area & has large crowded cities ?. I was referring to a specific small area, viz. The Northern Beaches, which has basically been closed down to contain the outbreak within that specific area.

I think we are all in agreement aren’t we ? Australia acted quickly and has continued to do so!

MayBee70 Tue 29-Dec-20 19:11:01

Schools have always remained open for key workers throughout the pandemic. And the government weren’t all that worried about vulnerable children pre pandemic. Even tried to stop providing them with free meals

Nezumi65 Tue 29-Dec-20 19:12:53

Ellianne

That's a good idea about a foundation year run by the universities Nezumi. Then the students could get the appropriate preparation they need for their studies.

Tbh hardly any courses will need them. Some courses require a certain level of maths but on the whole A levels are not great preparation for degree level study - not in terms of content anyway. They just demonstrate you can work at a certain level. They’re much more about categorising young people.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 21:46:24

I agree Nezumi. If there isn't a book somewhere called The Great Exam Con (or something similar), there really should be. One only has to look at the flexibility in subject requirements for most university courses to realise that A level content is largely irrelevant.

Beyond the developmental stages for very young children, it is nowhere set in stone that children should be able to do joined up writing by the age of 7, to use past tenses in a foreign language by 12 or understand calculus by 16 and so on. Educational targets and outcomes measured by exams are an entirely manufactured construct.

The idea that pupils have "missed" four months of education is nonsense.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 21:51:10

MayBee70

Schools have always remained open for key workers throughout the pandemic. And the government weren’t all that worried about vulnerable children pre pandemic. Even tried to stop providing them with free meals

Exactly! I agree absolutely that there's an unacceptable attainment gap, which the pandemic has highlighted. However, few have shown much concern before and, even now, the government can't provide the least advantaged with the tools (ie laptops and suitable learning environment) which the least advantaged need.

If people really cared, they would support opening school buildings for those who really need them and letting the rest learn at home, which some prefer anyway. At least, schools would then be able to provide a safer environment.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 21:53:25

Callistemon

^God no do not put them back a year. My youngest cannot wait to get out of school & on with his life.^

I don't think they'd change the school leaving age. We'd need a certain number to take up apprenticeships, university places etc anyway. Perhaps it could be an option?

It could have merit in some cases.
It happens in France (or did)

Logistically, it would be impossible. Schools would have to find extra buildings and staff for the extra year and universities would have to cope with a massive loss of income.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 22:59:10

Help!
It wasn't my suggestion, I just agreed it could have some merit for some children but I could see problems.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Dec-20 23:08:03

Something's got to be done before long, things are getting desperate.

growstuff Wed 30-Dec-20 02:54:52

Callistemon

Help!
It wasn't my suggestion, I just agreed it could have some merit for some children but I could see problems.

I didn't mean to imply it was your suggestion. Sorry!