Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

We should have locked down earlier

(118 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 09:37:57

The government was strongly advised to lock down around half term in order to avoid NHS overload.

It ignored the advise.

Consequence

We are already at a higher level than during the spring, and we haven’t even seen the Christmas and New Year infections begin to take effect.

Hundreds of extra beds in the form of Nightingale hospitals were built at massive cost.

The government were warned at the time that it would not be possible to staff them.
Nine months later not a single extra clinician has been trained for them. They are now being dismantled, even though we know that there will be an absolute tsunami in a few weeks time when the NHS may well be overwhelmed.

Of course we could take the attitude of JH-Brewer and ignore lockdown, because it is only the old who suffer badly and they according to Brewer seem expendable.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 12:17:21

GrannyGravy13

Whilst part of me agrees with you, for many many years both Labour and Conservative Governments have operated a carrot form of governance as opposed to the stick method. Even in a worldwide pandemic it is difficult if not nigh on impossible to change 60 million plus inhabitants mindset.

With our family and close friends we have followed every guideline, at times it has been heartbreaking, unfortunately their are a lot of people out there only interested in themselves.

Pah! Too many liberal, woke snowflakes! hmm

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 12:20:18

Seriously, Johnson was prepared to use water cannons in London. Patel wants to use wave machines and nets to catch unsafe dinghies and some loony wants to send gun boats against French fishermen. Controlling a few covidiots shouldn't be that difficult!

M0nica Tue 29-Dec-20 12:25:54

The current rapid rise is due to the new variant COVID, vaccination has already started and will be ramped up in the new year. This country cannot keep borrowing ad infinitum to fund lockdowns. Interest rates may be low now, but in 10 or 15 years, who knows where they will be.

This is a non-political post. I think that the OP is alarmist. It is up to everyone who is really concerned and needs to ytake care to make themselves responsible for their own protection, which most of us are, those spreading the infection spread it, mainly to others like them. Normal life needs to return for so many reasons, however slowly.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Dec-20 12:26:21

I agree that schools should have closed down, growstuff and can't understand why they weren't.
I know someone who hasn't sent their children to school since March but the parents haven't been sent to prison or anything. The parents didn't want their children mixing and that was that. Not a lot anyone can do under the circumstances.

Schools shouldn't go back until the beginning of March next year as the new strain also affects children.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Dec-20 12:28:28

If I had school-age children, they wouldn't be attending !

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 12:31:35

EllanVannin

If I had school-age children, they wouldn't be attending !

It will be interesting to see how many turn up. I know a number of otherwise law-abiding parents who have said they'll keep their children at home.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 12:34:16

M0nica

The current rapid rise is due to the new variant COVID, vaccination has already started and will be ramped up in the new year. This country cannot keep borrowing ad infinitum to fund lockdowns. Interest rates may be low now, but in 10 or 15 years, who knows where they will be.

This is a non-political post. I think that the OP is alarmist. It is up to everyone who is really concerned and needs to ytake care to make themselves responsible for their own protection, which most of us are, those spreading the infection spread it, mainly to others like them. Normal life needs to return for so many reasons, however slowly.

MOnica The government will still pay current interest rates. It owes the Bank of England.

In any case, a hard lockdown (even now) would shorten the misery for many.

About a third of the population is actually better off now than they would have been. They need taxing, if the government has the guts to do it.

growstuff Tue 29-Dec-20 12:35:41

Do you mean "normal life" like the mad "eat out" scheme, which it is now acknowledged caused a spike in new infections?

Casdon Tue 29-Dec-20 12:37:19

It isn’t the new variant causing the problem in Wales M0nica, it said on the news yesterday that less than 10% of cases are due to the new variant, and our levels in South Wales are as high as the South East and have been for a few weeks. There’s every sign that the public are not paying attention to the advice, the NHS is not managing hence we are in level 4 lockdown. There is no option unfortunately.

varian Tue 29-Dec-20 12:42:29

At the last count the r number was more than 1 in every part of the country, which means that more and more people will be infected every day under present conditions. The only way to reduce the r number is to impose stricter controls.

Any opening up of society, eg schools returning, retail, hospitality, sport and entertainment opening up will increase the r number and infections will increase exponentially.

Therefore we should now be tightening, not loosening controls until the r number is well below 1, preferably around 0.5 or less. This would allow for the gradual reopening of settings where people mix without pushing the r number above 1.

M0nica Tue 29-Dec-20 12:44:41

No, I mean a slow and controlled return to normality running alongside the vaccination programme.

Rufus2 Tue 29-Dec-20 13:02:32

its a far smaller area with fewer cases but they’ve hit it on head - hard. Police are out blocking roads and if you’re on wrong side of the boundary, you’re fined heavily

Marmight You could have stressed too, that Australia is no way a small area, yet practically the whole nation has achieved what you have described for the Northern Beaches.
It would also help if a commonsense vaccine could be made available! tchgrin
OoRoo

Blinko Tue 29-Dec-20 13:46:17

We should have locked down earlier

This is sure to become the mantra for this whole pandemic episode.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 29-Dec-20 14:08:37

The millions and billions that have been wasted by this government could have funded people and children with laptops to do a total lockdown well before Christmas.

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 14:12:37

twinnytwin

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's made Covid experts of many GNs.

Not hindsight. The situation in Italy should have prompted the government to act swiftly. They didn’t. An Italian friend kept texting and asking why we weren’t locking down. In March.

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 14:13:48

Rufus2

^its a far smaller area with fewer cases but they’ve hit it on^ head - hard. Police are out blocking roads and if you’re on wrong side of the boundary, you’re fined heavily

Marmight You could have stressed too, that Australia is no way a small area, yet practically the whole nation has achieved what you have described for the Northern Beaches.
It would also help if a commonsense vaccine could be made available! tchgrin
OoRoo

Spot on. People talk as if Australia had no large crowded cities ! Or even “but it’s an island”........

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 14:21:22

M0nica

I was actually paraphrasing a senior Tory member of parliament. Clearly not a Johnson fan, but an ex-health minister and someone not known for hyperbole.

So no I don’t think that he was being alarmist, and entirely disagree that it isn’t a political subject.

It is entirely political relating to coronavirus.

Marmight Tue 29-Dec-20 16:36:03

Rufus & Lucca Of course I’m well aware that Australia is not a small area & has large crowded cities ?. I was referring to a specific small area, viz. The Northern Beaches, which has basically been closed down to contain the outbreak within that specific area.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 16:46:09

The mistake made here was in not continuing it for longer than two weeks, and sadly, in putting too much faith in the public sticking with the guidance

Yes, Casdon, the lockdown in Wales was only for 17 days so too short. I can understand that, if it goes on too long, people will get fed up and start breaking rules but I could not understand the logic of 17 days.

Rufus it may be a very large country but State premiers exercised their right to close their borders. Even so, during the height of the outbreak in Victoria, hundreds of campers travelled through NSW and were lined up on the border with Queensland, champing at the bit to get over.
I hope cases do remain low there.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 16:51:57

"Sealing folks in their homes" sounds hysterical when it should be called "lockdown'"
Rufus
According to a family friend from Wuhan (living in Australia) this is what his grandmother who lives in Wuhan reported was happening. Flats were boarded up.
It worked, of course.

AGAA4 Tue 29-Dec-20 17:03:39

I agree with Rufus. Transgressors should be clamped down on and heavily fined. Sometimes the only way to get some people to comply is a heavy fine.
There were hundreds of cars heading to the Brecon Beacons over the last few days even though we are locked down here in Wales. Some had come from as far away as London in Tier 4.

M0nica Tue 29-Dec-20 17:10:45

I didn't say the subject was non-political, just my response.

Casdon Tue 29-Dec-20 17:15:01

I live near Brecon AGAA4, and confirm what you’ve said, hundreds of cars have been on the Beacons the last three days. Some are from England, but shamefully the majority were from Wales, notably from the Valleys areas which are really badly affected. Thankfully today the police have been up there fining people and sending them home - virtually nobody lives near enough to legitimately be up there at the moment.

cornishpatsy Tue 29-Dec-20 17:19:46

So many people with a degree in hindsight that know exactly what should have been done.

Such a shame governments and scientists did not contact the experts on social media.

Daisymae Tue 29-Dec-20 17:22:22

Over 50000 new cases reported today. Tier 5 here we come. Not exactly sure what tier 5 is, but but there's a consensus that 4 hadn't worked.