Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What’s happened to the Nightingale hospitals?

(31 Posts)
Katek Thu 31-Dec-20 11:37:30

Amid reports of significant overcrowding and ventilator shortages I haven’t seen anything about using these hospitals. I fully appreciate the staffing difficulties but surely there was a plan in the first instance as to how these were to be staffed. (Military support) I also understood that the UK had a large supply of ventilators following sterling work by many companies to turn their production to their manufacture. I’m puzzled.

mumofmadboys Thu 31-Dec-20 16:33:16

I understand the Manchester one is being used for general medical cases to free up room for patients suffering from Covid in the main hospitals.

Ellianne Thu 31-Dec-20 16:35:30

the Exeter one is for Covid patients but the incidence is low
Yes, Casdon, you're right. We are blessed with outdoor places to have fun. Judging by the number of people out and about today our hospitals will be dealing more with frozen surfers in the sea and broken legs climbing on Dartmoor!
Our rates have been dropping for a couple of days here.

Puzzler61 Thu 31-Dec-20 16:40:51

That’s good news Ellianne (number dropping, not broken legs).
Matt Hancock mentioned the Nightingale hospitals yesterday and said they are still available to be used.

Ellianne Thu 31-Dec-20 16:49:46

I think that is why the people of Devon and Cirnwall were worried about so many visitors descending on the area this summer. Not so much because of covid, though that was a consideration, but more because our emergency services here are stretched to the limits over a huge area. Sea rescues, injuries on the moors, traffic accidents on windy lanes etc. Tourists place an extra burden on the hospitals, which is fine, but covid patients on top would be a nightmare.

Ellianne Thu 31-Dec-20 17:23:33

Plymouth's Derriford hospital has received covid patients from Kent today.