Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What does Johnson mean by "safe"?

(133 Posts)
ReadyMeals Sun 03-Jan-21 11:24:30

He says "Schools are safe". What does he mean? You can't catch covid in a school? That has to be nonsense. So what is the definition of "safe" then when he says it? Less than 50% probability? Less than 10%? Just a bit safer than being in a hospital? Than attending an illegal rave? It's a meaningless word. Even isolating in our own homes isn't 100% safe, as it's still slightly possible to pick it up from something that is delivered.

sue421 Wed 06-Jan-21 19:22:05

I feel he has pandered to those who will not follow guidance. Tell me to stay home that is what I do. We have to stop the spread of the virus. And too many shops are open ie Poundland who have one aisle of food stuff! Staples...as they have a parcel delivery system! Our local ironmonger is open, why he sells dog food? Just encourages peope to mix! I think that people do not remember Polio...well I do

Ellianne Wed 06-Jan-21 19:11:50

Exactly as Galaxy says. Nurseries can open and children from the Reception Class can attend because they are still Early Years.
Heads I know are telling parents attendance is optional and parents whose children attend have signed to agree. This is in the independent sector where we have to cover ourselves as education providers.

Galaxy Wed 06-Jan-21 19:04:49

They have said early years can open so certainly in my area most day nurseries and playgroups are running.
I am certainly aware of some early years provision attached to schools that are open.

Lucca Wed 06-Jan-21 18:52:56

Galaxy

Thank goodness the government has described early years provision as safe today. I work in early years and had been worried but feel completely reassured now hmm

Can you tell me more about that ? DGS attends nursery in primary school and that’s closed . I have to say life would be easier for both WFH parents if he were able to attend. Sounds a bit selfish I know. Sorry.

Lucca Wed 06-Jan-21 18:50:24

Zuki

Depend Lucca are women calle d guys now maybe we should clarify that I think they are so the whole lotyes by the way I'm stereotypical working class so who supports the complainers now days

Sorry I am at a loss to understand what you have written. Maybe some typing errors ?

varian Wed 06-Jan-21 16:59:42

Sorry, I didn't get that Zuki. Can you explain what you mean?

Zuki Wed 06-Jan-21 16:53:42

Depend Lucca are women calle d guys now maybe we should clarify that I think they are so the whole lotyes by the way I'm stereotypical working class so who supports the complainers now days

Galaxy Wed 06-Jan-21 16:07:15

Thank goodness the government has described early years provision as safe today. I work in early years and had been worried but feel completely reassured now hmm

Lucca Wed 06-Jan-21 15:52:04

Is that the entire Labour Party ?

Lucca Wed 06-Jan-21 15:51:38

Zuki

i mean i might describe the smarmy Labour guys as horrid but not Borris

So that’s ok. But asking questions is not ?

Zuki Wed 06-Jan-21 15:49:02

i mean i might describe the smarmy Labour guys as horrid but not Borris

Zuki Wed 06-Jan-21 15:43:52

EAsy be a i agree I'm sick of the BBC asking questions
that can't be answered like how many vaccines will be given in a
specific period of time surely it can only be estimated whether you are Horrid or anyone else give them a break i just can't watch BBC anymore

ReadyMeals Wed 06-Jan-21 10:40:35

So Johnson finally explained what he meant by "schools are safe" He meant that children could still catch it and pass it on to other people, but that they wouldn't be likely to become severely ill or die. His explanation sounds like a bit of a wriggle to me, since that would have been phrased as "children are safe" not "schools are safe", since anyone other than children, such as the staff, and parents who might catch it from their kids, would NOT be safe with schools open. He's such an eel!!!

GagaJo Mon 04-Jan-21 20:32:50

'Johnson says the problem is not that schools are unsafe, adding that children are still unlikely to be affected by new variant, but they can “act as vectors for transmission.'

AKA, schools are unsafe.

jocork Mon 04-Jan-21 20:27:37

Tonight's announcement sums it up doesn't it! I just wish he'd done this sooner.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Jan-21 20:26:43

15th February...
Let's hope this finally puts us ahead of the virus.

Junesun Mon 04-Jan-21 18:12:22

I've never understood why schools are still open . They're crowded places and parents have to take small children to school where they congregate with other parents . Ah well , let's see what happens. It wont hurt to close schools for another short while.

Minerva Mon 04-Jan-21 17:55:23

My daughter had to take my grandson right out of mainstream and register him as home schooled - or be fined.

His year 3 cousin caught Covid at school before Christmas and now his mother, a severe asthmatic, has confirmed Covid too. The rest of the family are asymptomatic as yet; my son has an inoperable brain tumour so I pray he remains well. They are in the other grandmother’s support bubble and she was with them for Christmas. We wait to hear if she has caught it.

I know that parents can’t be trusted to isolate as they would send sick children to school before the pandemic. There is a rule that says a child who has vomited must stay home for 48 hours thereafter. Mothers would be saying after dropping off their little one that the child had been sick after breakfast or in the night and they hoped their poorly child would be ok. Such parents cannot be trusted to abide by present rules.

I worried about removing my youngest grandson from school, which was done to protect me, but I think now that it was the sensible thing to do.

growstuff Mon 04-Jan-21 17:30:34

The real problem is that the average classroom measures 8 x 8 m2 and are often poorly ventilated. 30 pupils in a room that size for five or six hours a day can never be considered safe.

AnD1 Mon 04-Jan-21 17:03:45

The problems are arising from school budgets being cut and schools not being able to fund seep cleaning. I have heard of one school that has one cleaner for the whole school, how can that be deep cleaned each time, it’s not possible!

Galaxy Mon 04-Jan-21 16:49:24

That's not an uncommon scenario grandma11, unfortunately.

Sheilasue Mon 04-Jan-21 16:46:00

Well according to my friend whose a TA and due to retire in July and is looking to take early retirement because it so stressful teachers are not keeping to their bubbles at school, watering down of hand sanitiser and generally not bothering.
My friend has a 95 year old mum and she’s just had enough.

bobbydog24 Mon 04-Jan-21 16:24:53

Exactly Grandma11, god knows what half the parents if these children have got up to but to let your child attend school knowing he/she could have/ carry the virus is evil beyond belief. Utterly selfish. Nature sure is getting her own back.

Grandma11 Mon 04-Jan-21 16:18:17

Our youngest DD is the manager of an early years playschool, today she has had to deal with a very worrying situation where a child had continued to attend school recently with the parents both having tested positive for Covid over the Christmas Break. Another parent raised the alarm when the mother of this child was seen doing the drop off and pick up school run whilst still supposedly Isolating herself and the Child's father is still receiving hospital treatment. How selfish can some people be?

Waltz Mon 04-Jan-21 15:57:39

My children are grown up but they have my grandchildren 2 are of school age one 15 and one 10,my advise to them is keep them at home.The pm doesn’t know what is or isn’t safe