Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown

(81 Posts)
Madwoman11 Tue 05-Jan-21 09:38:47

After last night's announcement at first I felt depressed, and then I realised it actually won't change much for me currently as I don't mix with anyone but my bubble or go shopping etc, and that is how I plan to keep it until I have been vaccinated. I'm even struggling to get out for my much loved walks atm due to thick ice, so like most I am trying to keep myself busy and entertained. Living alone is difficult during these times with very little contact or social interaction, but I still count mt blessings every day - oh and hope I won't be completely mad upon release lol.
My parents had it much harder with very little in the way of luxuries or indeed basic necessities. I look forward to brighter times and the Spring.
Keep safe and positive everyone smile

ninathenana Tue 05-Jan-21 09:48:01

Madwoman11
Sorry, I had to chuckle at your last line. Should that be "keep safe and negative" ??
Look after yourself

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 05-Jan-21 09:51:22

I'm in same position,its hard,maybe harder than first time. All we can do is stay as positive as can and we do have some lovely supportive threads on Gransnet?

Franbern Tue 05-Jan-21 09:56:50

I am actually finding Lockdown much easier this time around. Think that is because it is in the winter, and I had no plans that have been scuppered.

Last March, I had so many arrangements in place for the following few months. Being visited in my new home, and visiting people elsewhere. And, I found it very difficult for the first few weeks to come to terms with that. It was as if I was in mourning for the life I should have been leading.

However, this time, I had no such plans, and normally hunker down for the winter months, just looking forward to getting to end of March (I do this each year - do have SAD). So, nothing is really changing for me.

Still have a small (almost ever-diminishing) hope that come April/May I will be able to start seeing my children and friend again in person.

25Avalon Tue 05-Jan-21 10:01:02

I just keep telling myself “to hold the line” which became my mantra when dh had open heart surgery a few years ago. It’s not always easy but what else can we do?

Madwoman11 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:06:56

Ha ha no Ninathenana I'm not negative, but if I made you chuckle that's great ?

BlueSky Tue 05-Jan-21 10:15:53

I think this time we sort of got used to it. The first time in March was a real shock to the system, we had never experienced restrictions to where to go what to do. I for one am now suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

Sarnia Tue 05-Jan-21 10:22:27

I live with my youngest daughter and her family. I am very fortunate in that respect that I am not on my own. She was not happy one little bit about home schooling as she works from home. However, we just have to get on with it, don't we? As a family we have kept to the rules and miss seeing family and friends as much as the next person BUT I really feel that Spring and vaccines will bring us to a point where we can manage this nasty virus and press the restart button on our lives. In the meantime we have to get on with it.

Madwoman11 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:22:55

BlueSky I couldn't remember what Stockholm syndrome was, but good old Google helped yet again. Hopefully things will gradually improve.

polnan Tue 05-Jan-21 10:23:26

no, it is not easier,,
I chose as my support bubble, my gks family, worked great, I went there once a week or so.. and it was good, the weather was sort of fine etc.

now. because my gks are older, and getting out and about more,, I know!!! I have decided it is in my best interests not to go there,, so I am without a support bubble,

it is too cold to go in the garden. etc. etc. etc.

Ellianne Tue 05-Jan-21 10:24:22

I agree we have to give it one final bash, and do it properly. At least we know what it's all about and how to get deliveries or work out when the supermarket is quietest. The weather helps (?) by keeping us indoors.
Quite what we do if this doesn't work, I don't know? I'm not sure I could do it again and again.

etheltbags1 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:28:18

Hey ho here we go again. I'm on my own but I'm planning to sort my house out, tidy up after Christmas, I've got piles of wool, material and paints etc and I need to store then in the spare room. I've got plenty of books and dvds, Netflix etc but the thing that worries me is excersise , I hate going out in this never ending rain, whereas in the summer lockdown I was out everyday, gardening and walking.

GreyKnitter Tue 05-Jan-21 10:33:09

I’m not sure if it’s easier or harder but just different. My daughter who lives with her two young sons is now able to see her bubble which is great, the restrictions are slightly less severe but I agree with several folks that in the winter with wet and icy weather it’s less easy to get out in the garden or go for a walk. At least this time we have the vaccines taking place and that will hopefully bring better times ahead. Stay safe everyone.

Madwoman11 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:43:23

polnan I have the same problem as you. Keeping my self safe, so if my bubble are in too many places I'm not risking i.

Madwoman11 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:45:37

etheltbags1 its great you are keeping busy. I'm good at finding things to do too.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 05-Jan-21 10:50:52

Sarnia

I live with my youngest daughter and her family. I am very fortunate in that respect that I am not on my own. She was not happy one little bit about home schooling as she works from home. However, we just have to get on with it, don't we? As a family we have kept to the rules and miss seeing family and friends as much as the next person BUT I really feel that Spring and vaccines will bring us to a point where we can manage this nasty virus and press the restart button on our lives. In the meantime we have to get on with it.

Sarnia, if you live with your daughter could you takeover the home schooling to help out? I’m assuming the lessons are set by the school anyway and your role would be supervising and supporting the children.
I may be talking out of my hat of course.

timetogo2016 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:51:41

It won`t make any difference to us as we only went into supermarkets from day one.
We have got used to the new normal which makes it bearable i suppose.

Granny23 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:56:11

I have a slabbed patio, currently doused in salt and my Christmas present to myself was a small infrared patio heater. I already had a chiminea. As long as it is not raining or snowing, this allows me some outdoor time each day, I spend this sawing logs, trying to do sufficient each day to feed the open fire.

Also allows my DGS to cycle along (3.5 miles) every other dry day, for a blether or to bring messages. We sit or stand more than 2 metres apart and shout at each other. None of my family have been inside my house for months, (it is now an absolute tip) but we have seen each other outside regularly.

PS: patio heater was only £45, best present ever.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:57:33

Madwoman11, personally, I disagree with:

'Living alone is difficult during these times'. I enjoy it, as always.

Imagine being cooped up with someone else - especially if you don't really get on!

I'm surprised so many people have 'bubbles'. Why the need for them? Is it just because we're 'allowed' them? I'd really like to know.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Jan-21 11:00:30

Granny23, isn't that breaking the rules? (and encouraging others to?).

I thought that we were not allowed to invite others into gardens.

Ellianne Tue 05-Jan-21 11:04:39

I'm surprised so many people have 'bubbles'. Why the need for them? Is it just because we're 'allowed' them? I'd really like to know.
I thought the same thing yesterday Hetty. Everyone I know seems to have found a convenient bubble.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Jan-21 11:08:08

Ellianne, yes, I thought they were only for childcare, personal care - and vulnerable people living alone. Am I wrong?

Theoddbird Tue 05-Jan-21 11:08:09

I am very much the same as you Madwoman. I live alone and have just been going out for click and collect and occasional walks with a friend. I think it was easier last time as we had Spring and Summer which helped. I would sit out on my jetty and see or potter in garden. It is more difficult to get motivated in the dank cold weather. We will get through this though. I definitely feel positive. I am keeping myself safe. Peace and Hope x

Oldwoman70 Tue 05-Jan-21 11:17:26

I'm like you Madwoman I live alone, my nearest family lives several miles away so although I count one of them as my "bubble" (in case of emergency!) I rarely see them and it has been that way since the first lockdown so things won't change much for me.

Yes, it is more difficult this time because we don't have the good weather but if we want to see the end of this we must follow the rules and each take responsibility for our own health

Jaxjacky Tue 05-Jan-21 11:24:45

Downing Street news conference at 5, what now?