Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown tactics.

(47 Posts)
Missfoodlove Thu 07-Jan-21 09:09:02

Our first lockdown was fine for me thanks to the brilliant weather and our garden.

This one feels very different.

I am trying a few things to make it more bearable such as choosing two new recipes a week, walking to Waitrose and having my husband meet me in the car to transport the shopping.
I’m going to try zoom home schooling with our granddaughter.

What are other gransnetters doing to relieve the monotony?

Grammaretto Fri 08-Jan-21 12:31:02

I am also amazed by how much time people spend on housework. What are you doing? ironing socks?

I have no trouble filling the days which are so short at present. I am doing some craft work but only an hour or so. I walk for about an hour each day. I shop across the road at the local store and chat distantly to my neighbours behind masks.
I phone friends and family.
I am doing some online genealogy for a friend.
I hardly have time to read or watch tv or netflix.
I am very recently widowed so there is still plenty of officialdom to deal with.

I day-dream quite a lot....and go to bed early.
I am looking forward to Spring and the end of the cold weather and the end of the pandemic.

Ellianne Fri 08-Jan-21 12:06:05

Interesting! Do you think how we occupy ourselves depends on our natural make up and inherent personality? I could never apply myself to some of the activities mentioned because I have no sticking power. I tend to flit and dabble into anything and everything as the mood takes. At the moment it is photography mainly coastal, ultra modern garden design with water features, dance routines to old favourite songs. Next week it will be something totally different. The upside is that despite not really doing anything properly, I am never bored.
I guess it's all to do with what grabs our fancy at the time versus having the stamina to stick at something with meaningful results. Go with whatever!

Jaxjacky Fri 08-Jan-21 09:10:57

Thank you growstuff I’ll have a look. I used Duolingo a few years ago when we lived in France as I could then attempt the new bits I’d learnt.

Lucca Fri 08-Jan-21 08:33:55

Hetty58

Lucca, try children's craft or art projects. Anyone can do them if they're kept simple.

Thanks.. yes I was hoping there would be some ideas from other non crafty non gardening people !

Casdon Fri 08-Jan-21 07:59:32

Hi CanadianGran I just typed ‘30 day sketchbook challenge’ into the search bar on Facebook, and asked to join. It is the same one Fanny found. Hope you enjoy it too.

FannyCornforth Fri 08-Jan-21 06:04:04

That link doesn't work btw!

FannyCornforth Fri 08-Jan-21 06:03:28

CanadianGran I just googled 30 day sketch challenge.
Or it's www.magenta-sky.com.uk
(or something like that!) It's definitely the same one.

CanadianGran Fri 08-Jan-21 05:50:32

Casdon, where is the sketching challenge? I may challenge myself, since I have recently started drawing again.

Today I sketched the view out of my window, with limited success! Perspective is a bit wonky, but the more you do it the better you get at it!

DH is hounding me to organize closets and drawers! He is on a downsizing rampage and trying to drag me along, but I am resisting with all my might! I did manage to get two bins of yarn down to one. That baby blanket for my 27 year old will most likely never be knit!

Grandma2213 Fri 08-Jan-21 01:31:01

I discovered my inner hermit in the first lockdown and have pretty much stayed there all year. I live alone now fortunately so it really suits me. The garden was a joy and I did lots of walking, chatting to passing people more than ever I usually would have done. I love my online choirs and learning new songs with the technology to record them is a great challenge. I have been more in touch with old friends this year through messaging and emails. Thus my hermit existence has given me more human contact than ever I have normally.

To be fair children and grandchildren all live near and pop round for socially distanced chats in the drive or garden. I cook favourite dishes for them and by March all will have had individually decorated birthday cakes. I have also sorted years of family photos and created birthday cards of their life stories in pictures. That is very time consuming as old photos are re-photographed with a digital camera and then printed out. They all love the results and it brings back so many memories.

Lots of 'stuff' has been sorted and given back to my children to store for themselves. Granted I have piles of bags waiting for charity shops to reopen but I don't need the space at the moment. I'm currently working through the house repairing mostly child created damage and repainting.

Best of all I can go to bed at 3am or later and not get up till 11am, getting the best sleeps I have ever had!

growstuff Fri 08-Jan-21 00:48:36

There's always something to do in the garden after doing my exercise with Joe Wicks. (I'm watching your exercise moves, not your body ... honest, Joe!)

If only I had time to do any housework or ironing ... grin

growstuff Fri 08-Jan-21 00:45:36

I went up in my loft, found all the unfinished knitting projects I've started, unpicked them and knitted them into something else. So far, I have two throws for my sofa, countless bobble hats (some of which I'll donate to a homeless shelter) and three and a half (not finished yet) jumpers.

growstuff Fri 08-Jan-21 00:41:41

LadyBella

I keep looking at the tiled floor and think it needs cleaning but I can do it tomorrow or the next day. The ironing pile is getting higher and higher. I'm getting fat and lazy with no incentive to do anything. I don't get up till about 9.30. This lockdown definitely doesn't suit someone with my nature. This isn't living is it!

I love not having a strict timetable in my life. It suits me very well. Who cares if you don't get up until 9.30? I actually wish I could stay in bed until then.

I suffer from insomnia, so if I drop off to sleep for four or five hours, I don't care when it is. I feel more alive during my waking hours than I ever have.

growstuff Fri 08-Jan-21 00:37:58

Jaxjacky

To be honest I’m at a loss, minimal housework, main meal cooked daily, online food shop. Never been into arts and crafts, Raynauds precludes garden/allotment; daily walk, I’m an avid reader but only read at bedtime. I’m a good planner/organiser and thoroughly enjoyed sorting out the new kitchen last year. So, a bit stuck until voluntary work can start again, any ideas welcomed!

Have you thought about doing a Future Learn or Open Learn course or learning a new language with Duolingo?

LadyBella Fri 08-Jan-21 00:16:38

I keep looking at the tiled floor and think it needs cleaning but I can do it tomorrow or the next day. The ironing pile is getting higher and higher. I'm getting fat and lazy with no incentive to do anything. I don't get up till about 9.30. This lockdown definitely doesn't suit someone with my nature. This isn't living is it!

Teacheranne Thu 07-Jan-21 23:50:56

I’ve just looked at my diary ( it’s on my phone) and realised I have nothing planned for five days! No Zooms, no shopping to collect, zilch! It’s looking like I’ll have to get on with the two projects I keep putting off, tidying up my craft room ready for decorating and going through piles of Mums paperwork to inform every organisation that she now lives in a care home.

Neither of which I want to do!

Jaxjacky Thu 07-Jan-21 20:14:12

To be honest I’m at a loss, minimal housework, main meal cooked daily, online food shop. Never been into arts and crafts, Raynauds precludes garden/allotment; daily walk, I’m an avid reader but only read at bedtime. I’m a good planner/organiser and thoroughly enjoyed sorting out the new kitchen last year. So, a bit stuck until voluntary work can start again, any ideas welcomed!

SuzannahM Thu 07-Jan-21 19:27:20

Hetty58 Aren't glue guns amazing grin

I've just used mine to stick the rubber sole back on a shoe for OH - they're his favourite for wearing indoors and the toe was coming apart.

I got the letters to spell out our house number (FIFTEEN) cut out in shiny black acrylic and used the glue gun to stick them up on the white fascia above the garage.

Hetty58 Thu 07-Jan-21 19:09:37

SuzannahMm my rope storage 'baskets' are simply cardboard and shoe boxes, rope wound around and fixed with a glue gun.

They look smart on top of the wardrobe.

I made a lamp base, in the same way, with a wine bottle. The remaining rope will go on plant pots. All very simple - yet satisfying.

Casdon Thu 07-Jan-21 19:09:34

Someone on another thread recommended The Sketchbook Challenge - a different sketch each day for January - it’s really interesting as others post their efforts online every day and are so creative, which fuels the ideas. I’m useless, I haven’t done art at all since I left school, but it really is fun - we’ve done buttons and beads, octopus and under the sink amongst other things so far.You don’t have to post your efforts!

Hetty58 Thu 07-Jan-21 18:58:26

Lucca, try children's craft or art projects. Anyone can do them if they're kept simple.

Hetty58 Thu 07-Jan-21 18:55:55

I've just answered it all in 'Coping Strategies' - but still, it's very interesting to read what others are doing. Far less gardening than last time, as it's far too cold!

SuzannahM Thu 07-Jan-21 18:50:29

I envy all those who can do craft or art, no good at that either

There are so many arts and crafts the trick is to find something that suits your personality - if you've got little patience there's no point attempting something intricate that will take forever to finish. Also, don't expect miracles at the first attempt grin

I've just watched some you tube videos about making rope baskets and bags and it's spurred me on to attempt one. I suspect the first one may be more of a plate than a basket but we'll see.

rockgran Thu 07-Jan-21 18:44:49

I have plenty of hobbies so I really don't mind being stuck in - I get more stressed about having to keep hospital and doctor's appointments (for husband mainly) and driving to the supermarket in snow, etc.
I find a routine helps - chores first, cooking main meal then enjoying hobbies. The days seem to pass quite quickly.

overthehill Thu 07-Jan-21 18:28:01

Teacheranne

Gosh, I am surprised that some of you spend every morning doing housework! I cannot think of enough household tasks to do for such a long time, I tend to clean my house just once or twice a week - if I am in the mood!

Well the bathroom is wiped round each day, kitchen tidied and beds made but what I call actual housework like dusting, I do maybe once a month. It just doesn't get that dusty. I did it before the Christmas decs went up and now they are down, will gradually go through house, say a room a day

BlueSky Thu 07-Jan-21 11:55:39

What I usually do: reading, studying, social media, tv, walking, minimum of housework. With children and grandchildren abroad we can still see each other via FaceTime as usual.