Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown tactics.

(46 Posts)
Missfoodlove Thu 07-Jan-21 09:09:02

Our first lockdown was fine for me thanks to the brilliant weather and our garden.

This one feels very different.

I am trying a few things to make it more bearable such as choosing two new recipes a week, walking to Waitrose and having my husband meet me in the car to transport the shopping.
I’m going to try zoom home schooling with our granddaughter.

What are other gransnetters doing to relieve the monotony?

Lucca Thu 07-Jan-21 09:12:36

My thoughts exactly this morning on reading that it could last until April. The problem is that a lot of possible distractions such a learning a new language or studying another subject will involve a screen when I already spend too long on here plus online bridge with friends four times a week!
I thought I might try learning to make my own bread but I’m not much cop in the kitchen !

Lucca Thu 07-Jan-21 09:13:40

I envy all those who can do craft or art, no good at that either .,

Luckygirl Thu 07-Jan-21 09:13:55

Writing the pub quiz! - it is on zoom every two weeks.
Walking - on days when it is safe and the ground is not iced up.
Embroidery.
Listening to beautiful music - hooray for Spotify.
Organising a house sale/move.
Trying to avoid housework.

Gingster Thu 07-Jan-21 09:17:08

Yes Missfoodlove it seems very different this time round. We have a sort of routine and with the horrid weather, we’re quite happy to hunker down. We walk the dog twice a day, together or separately. It’s nice to have time alone. All the usual things, read, puzzles, tv or film in the afternoon. The days pass pleasantly enough but the beautiful weather of the first lockdown made life so much nicer. Lots of phone calls and messages from friends and family always lighten my mood.

Froglady Thu 07-Jan-21 09:20:36

Doing lots of online competitions, reading more, and actually cooking! made some sweet potato soup yesterday which turned out to be delicious which amazed me.

tanith Thu 07-Jan-21 09:20:37

I’ve taken up cross stitching, walking every day, trying to do a few stretches indoors but it is so much easier in the Summertime. It’s going to be a long Springtime.

AGAA4 Thu 07-Jan-21 09:26:16

I am quite happy looking out at the snow and ice knowing I don't have to go out. The days pass quickly with hobbies and a bit of housework and keeping up with family and friends.

overthehill Thu 07-Jan-21 09:27:15

Colouring books, sewing but not been in the mood lately, playing Rummikub, upwords, crossword puzzles, knitting DGD a jumper. Time passes by easily enough although not ideal of course

Franbern Thu 07-Jan-21 09:47:10

Finding it so much easier this time round. Probably because I usually go into semi-hibernation in January and February and really have to force myself to go out to group meetings, etc.

So this year do not have to do that, and nothing had been arranged for visits to people or visits to me.

So, as I am fortunate enough to be retired, I only go out regularly now for my once a week trip in car to supermarket. If it is really nice, sunny day, will wrap up and go our for short trundle round local park or along promenade.

For the rest quite happy to find ways to keep myself busy all day doing nothing!!!

Will start to resent this towards end of March.

Rosalyn69 Thu 07-Jan-21 09:51:56

I’m finding it ok. Life has developed its own pattern starting each day with hay and feed for the horses at first light. Mornings are for chores and afternoons for me. Evenings are for slumping on the sofa with the husband watching TV - Designated Survivor or football.
Time passes. It’s a waiting game. A bit like a cosy prison.

Soupy Thu 07-Jan-21 09:59:14

It's nice to have one thing to look forward to each day; mainly a walk.

Other than that I am lucky enough to play an instrument so have various weekly, fortnightly and monthly Zoom sessions with different groups. I play folk music and some Festivals are holding online one off sessions, which are great fun.

I do miss being able to drive somewhere for a longer walk but that time will come again.

Callistemon Thu 07-Jan-21 10:13:24

I ordered yeast with my last online shop so perhaps I might make bread, although I do need to lose the 1st lockdown half a stone.
DD thinks we should learn a language together online.

I should write up the family history/clear the attic/sort through books, clothes, junk

So much to think about

Callistemon Thu 07-Jan-21 10:15:16

made some sweet potato soup yesterday which turned out to be delicious which amazed me.
I made carrot and coriander soup yesterday and it was very tasty.

henetha Thu 07-Jan-21 10:19:08

I'm setting myself some projects each month. January's is learning to play the ukelele (my son has loaned me his old one), but I doubt if I'll be any good at it.
Then I'm going to paint a picture of a bird. I used to paint and I miss it.
Then I'm going to tidy the porch which is a mess.
I'll think about February projects later.

TwiceAsNice Thu 07-Jan-21 10:29:34

I still work 1.5 days a week counselling students at a school, obviously can’t do this in person now but speaking to them by phone and staff on team meetings. I try to have a walk unless it’s rainy which I hate. I read, knit, and listen to music/ watch television. I am in a bubble with my daughters family so am lucky to see them . I’m going to do some sorting/ rearranging in the house now the decs are down. Roll on the spring!

Esspee Thu 07-Jan-21 10:34:07

I signed up for a genealogy course (thanks to advice from Treebee on the genealogy forum) and am now totally engrossed in working out my family history.

Word of warning to anyone thinking of doing the same - It is addictive!

millymouge Thu 07-Jan-21 10:43:45

Two dog walks, one a.m. other p.m. House work in the morning, afternoons for me - cross stitch, quilting, reading, baking (DH likes his cakes) planning meals. After dinner TV with DH and reading. I must admit the days do go very quickly. Just had second vaccination so shall be very carefully shopping next week. Shall be glad when we can get in the garden again.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 07-Jan-21 10:45:17

I'm preferring this one. I didn't dislike the first one with the warm weather. Gardening and my hobby, wood turning, kept me very busy.

Except for a walk with the dog, I really don't like being outside in the cold, wet and at the moment icy weather. I've quite a few indoor interests. It also means I can spend more time on my laptop too.

Callistemon Thu 07-Jan-21 10:47:05

House work in the morning

Oh yes, I keep forgetting

Teacheranne Thu 07-Jan-21 11:54:31

Gosh, I am surprised that some of you spend every morning doing housework! I cannot think of enough household tasks to do for such a long time, I tend to clean my house just once or twice a week - if I am in the mood!

BlueSky Thu 07-Jan-21 11:55:39

What I usually do: reading, studying, social media, tv, walking, minimum of housework. With children and grandchildren abroad we can still see each other via FaceTime as usual.

overthehill Thu 07-Jan-21 18:28:01

Teacheranne

Gosh, I am surprised that some of you spend every morning doing housework! I cannot think of enough household tasks to do for such a long time, I tend to clean my house just once or twice a week - if I am in the mood!

Well the bathroom is wiped round each day, kitchen tidied and beds made but what I call actual housework like dusting, I do maybe once a month. It just doesn't get that dusty. I did it before the Christmas decs went up and now they are down, will gradually go through house, say a room a day

rockgran Thu 07-Jan-21 18:44:49

I have plenty of hobbies so I really don't mind being stuck in - I get more stressed about having to keep hospital and doctor's appointments (for husband mainly) and driving to the supermarket in snow, etc.
I find a routine helps - chores first, cooking main meal then enjoying hobbies. The days seem to pass quite quickly.

SuzannahM Thu 07-Jan-21 18:50:29

I envy all those who can do craft or art, no good at that either

There are so many arts and crafts the trick is to find something that suits your personality - if you've got little patience there's no point attempting something intricate that will take forever to finish. Also, don't expect miracles at the first attempt grin

I've just watched some you tube videos about making rope baskets and bags and it's spurred me on to attempt one. I suspect the first one may be more of a plate than a basket but we'll see.