Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Walking "close to home" - what does this mean?

(232 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 21:33:53

A friend of my daughter has been fined for walking with her children at a nature reserve. It was "out of area".
She did drive nearly 4 miles to get there - but if the children were bigger they could obviously have walked that far...

Does anyone have link to somewhere reliable with something concrete on?
Another daughter says it's to do with postcode but has only "heard" this.

I don't want a fine for just walking in the wrong place!

Thanks for your help.

Washerwoman Sat 09-Jan-21 17:11:49

Oops lots of typos .Sorry !

prestbury Sat 09-Jan-21 17:13:38

25Avalon

I have just looked at the regulations on the Government website. It explains that “local means stay in the village, town or part of the city where you live”. “You should not travel outside your local area.”

That seems fairly plain to me. So no driving out to NT Gardens, Beaches, driving to open moorland, etc.

And to add to that local means within the village, town or city area boundary, not hopping over the line as it suits, unless there are special circumstances.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jan-21 18:29:27

If everyone just walked out of their door to as far as they could manage in order to get back in an hour or so, none of this checking and cross referencing would be needed.

Lisagran Sat 09-Jan-21 18:32:04

That’s fair comment, MissAdventure, except I guess for quite a few people, that would mean walking through busy streets / town centres, etc? (Maybe not very safe)

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jan-21 18:37:36

There are always going to be circumstances which don't fit exactly, because boris addressed us collectively, not individually, by name.

Ellianne Sat 09-Jan-21 18:40:23

And it says "swimming", which unless you live on a canal boat means you need to walk or drive to get to the water.

Lisagran Sat 09-Jan-21 18:41:44

MissAdventure

There are always going to be circumstances which don't fit exactly, because boris addressed us collectively, not individually, by name.

Which is why - I guess - people are checking and cross-referencing?

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jan-21 18:42:12

I would take it that if you live a ten minute walk from the beach, then you would walk there and have a swim.

welbeck Sat 09-Jan-21 19:49:30

even in cities there are usually back streets and areas that are little used for walking around.
it's a matter of attitude. where there's a will...or not.

nadateturbe Sat 09-Jan-21 22:55:12

I was annoyed about not being able to drive to a quiet beach and having to avoid people on pavements close to home. But having read many of the comments I believe that the only way to attempt to control the spread of the virus is if everyone sticks to the rules. Its bad luck if you don't live beside a lovely beach or NT property. You just have to make the best of it. Walking round the block will still get fresh air and exercise. And if its too busy we can go another time. If one person is allowed to break the rules then others will too. We all really need to support each other and do our best. No exceptions. No excuses.

vegansrock Sun 10-Jan-21 08:18:43

Yes we decided not to go to our nearest NT property which is about a 30 minute drive as it is not in the same town so couldn’t be deemed local. What if you had a car accident en route and had to be taken to A and E and there is no space for you? The government in its usual washy washinesss could have been more prescriptive i.e. you should not travel more than 2 or 5 miles. My relative in Italy cannot go further than 2 km from home unless it’s for essential shopping or medical reasons. The safest thing is to stay local i.e. where you can walk to or just do some gardening or pilates/gentle stretching inside your house. Instead of the NT garden we had a nice local walk to a park we rarely visit and discovered one or two interesting buildings in the backstreets including a Christopher Wren spire. You often don’t know what’s in your locality.

Daisymae Sun 10-Jan-21 08:53:49

I had an email from a garden that I support informing me that they are open weekends. However it's almost impossible to walk there for anyone so surely they should remain closed. How are they legally allowed to open, I am sure that they are complying with the rules? Mixed messages.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 09:38:53

The government in its usual washy washinesss could have been more prescriptive

Most definitely.

prestbury Sun 10-Jan-21 15:25:20

Ellianne

And it says "swimming", which unless you live on a canal boat means you need to walk or drive to get to the water.

I have a canal running through the woods, across the road from me but it would be foolhardy to swim in there with the diseases you could pick up.

Saetana Sun 10-Jan-21 19:33:25

A few people appear to be confusing travelling for essential shopping with exercise. If your nearest shop/supermarket is 3 miles away then of course its acceptable to drive there!

silverdragon Sun 10-Jan-21 19:38:36

nadateturbe

I was annoyed about not being able to drive to a quiet beach and having to avoid people on pavements close to home. But having read many of the comments I believe that the only way to attempt to control the spread of the virus is if everyone sticks to the rules. Its bad luck if you don't live beside a lovely beach or NT property. You just have to make the best of it. Walking round the block will still get fresh air and exercise. And if its too busy we can go another time. If one person is allowed to break the rules then others will too. We all really need to support each other and do our best. No exceptions. No excuses.

Agree with this. The trouble with 'slight' bending of the rules is that people will look out of their windows, see on TV, photos, etc and see other people out there and think, oh, it must be okay then.

A walk round the block whilst not terribly exciting is what you need to do. Certainly shouldn't be getting in a car to get somewhere and then walk.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 15:42:37

Boris Johnson, according to the Evening Standard was cycling 7 miles from home yesterday at the Olympic Park.
He has subsequently been asked about this. According to The Guardian:

This is awkward. As government officials were telling the Guardian only this morning (see 12.49pm), the advice is that when exercising you should you “should stay local in the village, town, or part of the city where you live”.

At the Downing Street lobby briefing the prime minister’s spokesman did not have an answer as to why the PM thought that going seven miles away from home was consistent with the spirit of the rules - although he indicated that he would come back with a proper response later.

Just saying...?‍♀️

growstuff Mon 11-Jan-21 15:44:29

Maybe he was just testing his eyesight. hmm

Mamardoit Mon 11-Jan-21 15:58:53

I've noticed many people on bikes going past. Some in twos and threes, but many in larger groups taking up half of the road. I don't think any are wearing masks and I guess some of them will be cycling for miles. Horse riders often go past in 2s,3s,and 4s too.

If the polices are clamping down on people taking exercise they are going for the easy option by focusing on car parks at reservoirs etc..

beverly10 Mon 11-Jan-21 16:22:28

Will I be allowed to visit a cemetary and place flowers on the grave of a recently departed colleague when rules had dictated only so many persons be present at internment?The cemetary is four miles from my home and will drive myself but do not want to be stopped enroute and questioned 'where am I going'. Certainly not to enjoy myself.
Reminiscent of WW11?? Huge posters asking 'Is your journey really necessary

beverly10 Mon 11-Jan-21 16:31:19

Not Sphagetti
Borris on bike ?<Isn't it your typical 'don't do as I, do as I say.?

MaizieD Mon 11-Jan-21 16:38:13

beverly10

Not Sphagetti
Borris on bike ?<Isn't it your typical 'don't do as I, do as I say.?

He's just laughing at us..

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 16:39:27

Apparently he will have a "response" soon.

growstuff Mon 11-Jan-21 17:11:42

beverly10

Will I be allowed to visit a cemetary and place flowers on the grave of a recently departed colleague when rules had dictated only so many persons be present at internment?The cemetary is four miles from my home and will drive myself but do not want to be stopped enroute and questioned 'where am I going'. Certainly not to enjoy myself.
Reminiscent of WW11?? Huge posters asking 'Is your journey really necessary

You'd be OK if you went by bike or on horseback.

MamaCaz Mon 11-Jan-21 17:14:07

NotSpaghetti

Apparently he will have a "response" soon.

I can picture them now, sitting around a table discussing what spin to put on this, based on how gullible they think we are.