Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Walking "close to home" - what does this mean?

(232 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 21:33:53

A friend of my daughter has been fined for walking with her children at a nature reserve. It was "out of area".
She did drive nearly 4 miles to get there - but if the children were bigger they could obviously have walked that far...

Does anyone have link to somewhere reliable with something concrete on?
Another daughter says it's to do with postcode but has only "heard" this.

I don't want a fine for just walking in the wrong place!

Thanks for your help.

MawBe Mon 11-Jan-21 17:38:05

beverly10

Will I be allowed to visit a cemetary and place flowers on the grave of a recently departed colleague when rules had dictated only so many persons be present at internment?The cemetary is four miles from my home and will drive myself but do not want to be stopped enroute and questioned 'where am I going'. Certainly not to enjoy myself.
Reminiscent of WW11?? Huge posters asking 'Is your journey really necessary

Of course you will Beverly - I think it highly unlikely anybody would take exception to that.
However if another couple of colleagues had the same idea and wanted to join you , it would breach the regulations.

Grannynannywanny Mon 11-Jan-21 17:42:27

Matt Hancock had said in reply to a journalist this evening that if you go for a long walk and find yourself 7 miles from home that’s fine..as long as you stay local!

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 17:43:14

A walk round the block whilst not terribly exciting is what you need to do.

Not the first time I have seen a walk round the block recommended but how many us live somewhere where we have a nice flat block to walk round?

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 17:48:44

beverley10 I probably wouldn't because, unless you are going back again next week to remove them or are planting something, they will rot and end up looking horrible.

Could you make a donation to a charity in memory of your colleague?
As mourners usually do this at a funeral because family flowers only are the norm now, I think charity funds will be down this year as attendees are limited. The funeral directors will know which charity was recommended.

It will help others and you won't be breaking any rules.

Elegran Mon 11-Jan-21 19:09:08

Perhaps, Beverley, you could do as my grandmother said that we should do with flowers for her after she was dead - have a nice vase of flowers in our house and think of her whenever we looked at them. More than fifty years later, I think of her often when I see a beautiful bouquet.

nadateturbe Mon 11-Jan-21 20:11:03

a walk round the block is just a phrase. Surely wherever you live you can just walk away from it for a set distance and walk back. Fresh air and exercise. We all have to do as much as we can. Only shop for essentials, get deliveries if possible, one walk a day. Only see people if essential. That is what we've got to do to help our NHS and protect everyone. It's not pleasant but thats whats needed. I feel so sorry for our NHS staff.