Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine for international travel?

(84 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 07:32:27

I think it is a great idea. Maybe a vaccine AND a covid test (covid test required now where I am AND for the UK I think). It would require everyone to have access to the vaccine of course.

Requiring everyone who wishes to go overseas to have been vaccinated against Covid-19 is a path towards discrimination, according to the head of the World Travel and Tourism Council.

Gloria Guevara, chief executive of the industry body, criticised the approach by Australian airline Qantas, whose boss, Alan Joyce, suggested passengers would need a jab before they can board one of its international services.

“We should never require the vaccination to get a job or to travel,” she said. “I totally disagree with the approach from Qantas. If you require the vaccination before travel, that takes us to discrimination.”

The chief executive of AirAsia, Tony Fernandes, supported Guevara, and added that global testing measures are the way to unlock travel.

However, according to a survey conducted by Qantas, 87 per cent of respondents said they would be happy to take the coronavirus vaccine if it was demanded for international travel, while 85 per cent thought it should be required for travel to “at least some countries”.

A 2020 report by the Ada Lovelace Institute, an independent research body, stated that the introduction of ‘vaccine passports’ could “pose extremely high risks in terms of social cohesion, discrimination, exclusion and vulnerability.”

uk.news.yahoo.com/travel-latest-news-mandatory-vaccine-081612096.html

susieq3 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:35:51

Why not make it mandatory To have the vaccine and then we all know where we are.
annodomini said she had to have the cholera vaccine to be allowed back into the u.k in 1970 If that could be enforced why can’t this one.

Daftbag1 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:08:29

For the foreseeable future you will not be able to purchase a vaccine, and I believe there would be something very wrong with a system that prioritised someone based on their holiday plans. Remember we are not talking of a one dose for life vaccine here, as fast as vaccines are being given, it's going to be time to give a booster to the individuals.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 19:56:56

I typed fair enough - that is what I meant

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 19:56:10

How Lizbethann?

When you are next in the queue that is when you will get the vaccine.

Unless there are vaccines left at the end of a session in which case those who are working/volunteering may have one, but that's unfair enough.

annodomini Sat 16-Jan-21 19:41:23

When we left Kenya in 1970, there was a minor outbreak of cholera in a very remote part of the country, but nevertheless, we had to have a cholera vaccination certificate to be allowed to re-enter UK. As I was then 5 months pregnant, I was a bit dubious, but there was no way out. I already had certificates for smallpox and yellow fever vaccinations. I would not object to having to show certification for my Covid 19 vaccination, if I were required to show it for a desirable holiday destination.

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 18:20:42

Is there any suggestion that people could jump the queue to go abroad ?? Where ?
I think a bit of calm down dear is needed here.

Lizbethann55 Sat 16-Jan-21 18:15:44

Yes. You do need vaccines to enter certain countries. I had a yellow fever one before going to Rwanda a few years ago. Although, as was pointed out to me, it was really needed so that I could come out safely rather than go in. But , the thing is, there were not literally millions of people desperate to get that vaccine. If they continue with the idea of needing the Covid vaccine before going abroad I hope it doesn't become a case of people choosing to holiday overseas being able to jump the queue and have it ahead of those of us who are sensible enough to stay here for the time being , just in order to get away for a couple of weeks.

Skyblue2 Sat 16-Jan-21 18:01:37

I think there is a misplaced confidence in vaccines. These particular ones are more of a medical intervention to prevent someone getting severe symptoms. It does not prevent someone getting the virus or from passing it to others. You could get a vaccine, travel and pick up the virus abroad, come back and pass it on to others.

Mollygo Sat 16-Jan-21 15:47:07

Way back when I first started going to France for education, I had to have a smallpox jab and proof that I’d had it each time.
Going to South Sudan on a mercy mission in 2018 involved lots of jabs and they are expensive, even before you talk about certificates.
If you really don’t want to have the vaccine + certificate to obey the rules, have it for yourself, accepting that having it will offer you some protection, whatever the current % is.
If even that doesn’t persuade you, just don’t go. No one is forcing people to go abroad just now.

Rosie51 Sat 16-Jan-21 14:49:39

Markoni40

Nobody has right to impose any medical treatment on anyone and they can and should be sued should they attempt to do so

Nobody is imposing medical treatment on anybody. Every person's choice, have the vaccine or be denied entry to a country that requires it. Nobody has the right to enter another country without fulfilling that country's entry requirements.

Caro57 Sat 16-Jan-21 14:44:56

I thought some countries DID require vaccines - smallpox, yellow fever etc. Etc.

Mistymoocake Sat 16-Jan-21 14:41:14

Maybe I am missing the point here but you need other vaccines to enter some countries so what is the difference with the covid vaccine. I understand not jumping the queue.
You should not be allowed to book any travel until you have the vaccine when ever it is your turn

Aepgirl Sat 16-Jan-21 13:59:13

I have no desire to fly anywhere at the moment. People don’t obey the rules in supermarkets, buses or trains just now, and there is no chance of distancing on a plane. Then just think of the air conditioning - the air inside a plane is constantly recycled so surely cannot be safe.

Nvella Sat 16-Jan-21 13:35:01

If we are really going to knock this virus on the head and not allow the conspiracy theorists to dictate our future I think everything possible should be done to make sure people have the vaccine and travel abroad should be one area where it can be enforced. I for one am not prepared to spend my last decades locking down, unlocking, locking down.......

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 13:03:45

It's not even good in theory - completely discriminatory and will work against the poorest as usual.

Why?

The vaccine is free.
Not even the wealthiest can get it privately.

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 13:03:31

How will it work against the poorest if the jab is free ?

icanhandthemback Sat 16-Jan-21 13:03:02

missdeke

The first time I went abroad in August 1966 there was a smallpox outbreak in the UK, and Spain was not allowing International travellers into the country without a valid smallpox vaccination certificate. So it has been done before.

It happened in the early 70's too when we were travelling to Norway. Nobody batted an eyelid.

My only reservation about making a vaccination certificate obligatory is we don't yet know how long immunity lasts, if at all. The Smallpox vaccination was 95% effective and could be given after the onset of smallpox to lessen the effects of the disease. I believe it was immunity for life but certainly for a long time.

GoldenAge Sat 16-Jan-21 13:01:28

It's not even good in theory - completely discriminatory and will work against the poorest as usual. Maybe we think the poorest won't be up for international travel or shouldn't be squandering their money on overseas holidays but these are huge unacceptable value judgements. Nobody should be forced to have a vaccine. And I'm not an anti-vaxxer by any stretch of imagination - mine's booked for next week but I wouldn't expect anyone else to have to be forced into having a jab before being allowed to travel.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 16-Jan-21 12:53:36

Well, you can't come into Denmark unless you have a negative test that is no older than 1 day.

I imagine as soon as the majority of people have been vaccinated that a vaccination certificate will be demanded too.

Most international airlines are discussing the possibilityof demanding one, and I don't want to travel by air or train if I will be risking travelling with the unvaccinated!

If you can afford a holiday or a business trip, you can afford tests and vaccines, as well.

dolphindaisy Sat 16-Jan-21 12:33:28

In my opinion, having the vaccine means I am one step nearer being able to visit my DD and DGDs in Australia. If and when I am able to fly out I would like to think that everyone else on a 24 hour flight has also been vaccinated . I certainly don't think it is unreasonable for airlines to stipulate all passengers have to have been vaccinated. People have the right to choose not to have the jab but they need to realise it means they can't fly to certain countries. This is already the case with other vaccines.

Bluecat Sat 16-Jan-21 12:32:48

I am in favour of anything that helps to slow down the spread and mutation of the virus. If the insane anti-vaxxers hadn't spread so much nonsense about this vaccine, people wouldn't be in such a flap about it.

I've had to have vaccinations before going on holiday. My grandkids weren't allowed to go to school in America until they had provided evidence that they had been vaccinated against various illnesses. What's the difference in vaccinating travellers against Covid?

jaylucy Sat 16-Jan-21 12:15:40

But surely , if you are going to certain countries you are already expected to have had certain vaccinations?
Thing is with the Covid vaccine, it, like the flu one, may not necessarily make you totally immune, just that if you do suffer from it, you get a milder dose.
They aren't 100% sure how long the coverage is for the same as they are not 100% sure if the antibodies you have once suffering from Covid in whatever form, will be permanent unlike other diseases.

Tempest Sat 16-Jan-21 11:46:30

I don't understand why anyone would say no to having the Covid jab for travel. When I travelled to India I had a whole list of jabs I had to have in order to try and stay safe. I also took out health insurance. Travelling to any country involves health risks and accidents. Why should any country including the UK pick up the bill for sick tourists?
No jab certificate, no negative test certificate, no health insurance. Should equal, no free health care for non residents. Please stay at home.

Purpledaffodil Sat 16-Jan-21 11:29:05

During the routine questioning before DH’s hospital appointment yesterday, we were asked if we’d been abroad recently. Oh how we laughed .?

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 11:26:57

Just 2 weeks ago, you could fly to Dubai and get a covid test on arrival if you did not have one prior to leaving the UK

Sorry, I should have made it clear; he was coming back to the UK from working overseas. He had a negative test but no actual certificate.