Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Tested positive this morning please cheer me up

(171 Posts)
Notagranyet1234 Tue 19-Jan-21 05:57:40

Hi there everyone
I've not posted before but felt so fed up today I'm hoping to use the hive mind to improve my mood.
I'm approaching 60, single parent for the last 15 years after a long unhappy marriage. Currently I'm working 5 short days a week in a stressful health care role, whilst caring for my elderly parents, mum is terminally ill with breast cancer, and my 2 adult DC at home because they are ASD.
I have been really careful with Covid precautions and have successfully worked through all the lock-downs to keep our very vulnerable patients in the unit free from this virus.
I was tested at work as usual on Friday and tested negative. Started to feel increasingly unwell over the weekend so got a drive through test on Sunday and was notified by text that I was positive on Monday morning.
I feel pretty grim, bad cough, aches and fatigue, hoping that the vaccination I had 10 days ago will mean that avoid a hospital admission.
My problem is that I am really annoyed about catching this, I have a background studying microbiology and have taken all precautions possible whilst continuing to work and care for my family.
I'm fuming with people who don't wear masks, my neighbours are still having parties every Friday and in the supermarket locally I have seen staff members not wearing masks (I'm aware they may have a health exemptions) but what about the gangs of teenagers hanging around on the streets? The people who wear masks incorrectly?,
I have potentially risked the health of all my colleagues and patients (hopefully the PPE will help prevent any transmission)
Cheer me up Gransnetters please any funny stories greatly appreciated or cat photos are equally acceptable 2 of my terrors are attached.

Chemtrail Fri 29-Jan-21 10:25:27

How are you op

Ngaio1 Mon 25-Jan-21 18:19:02

A " Hope this cheers you up" message from me and my Goldfish, Wellington. Not able to post photos, unfortunately! I religiously wear a mask and so does my daughter in our effort to help. Wellington, however, does not!

MayBee70 Mon 25-Jan-21 18:12:57

Yes. I hope she’s ok.

muse Mon 25-Jan-21 15:08:48

Hello Notagranyet1234

Noticed it's 5 days since your last comment. Hope you are coping and still resting (upstairs). Don't worry about that kitchen.
flowers

Mollygo Mon 25-Jan-21 14:45:30

Sorry to hear that Whiff. Let’s hope you remain uninfected.

Hithere Mon 25-Jan-21 13:49:02

Whiff flowers

Whiff Mon 25-Jan-21 09:04:39

My daughter has just phoned she tested positive for Covid. Had a cough and had a test got the results last night. Waiting game to see if any of us get it.

Whiff Mon 25-Jan-21 07:12:38

Nota sorry your daughter has tested positive. I hope you both don't suffer to much and make a full recovery. I am in isolation until 1st. My daughter had a call from the nursery on Friday. A child her eldest was with on Wednesday tested positive for Covid. I had him Friday afternoon for 4 hours we made scones then played. She feels guilty that she has exposed me to possibly getting Covid but told her not to. I wouldn't miss a minute I spend with them. So far we are all well.

Forget about the kitchen at least they are eating. Hope they are feeding you healthy food and having plenty of drinks. Long time ago I had flu the children were young. They wanted fish fingers with rice . My late husband cooked the rice for 45 mins You can imagine what happened to it?. The children came up and begged me to come and look. Wall paper paste. He dashed out to the chip shop while they eat the fish fingers and had chips when he got back. Hope that has made you ?.

Both of you get well soon and hope the rest of your household don't get it. ??

Hithere Sun 24-Jan-21 22:28:39

How are you, OP?

Joyfulnanna Sun 24-Jan-21 21:28:30

So very sorry to hear you've tested positive but when you read these posts, I hope you feel cheered up.. Twigs post was amazing, what an amazing women her DM is, and makes you realize that many older people pull through

Flaxseed Wed 20-Jan-21 22:46:42

Sorry to hear you tested positive notagran
My photo is of the jigsaw I completed when I was off sick recently with Covid.
I never lost my appetite nor sense of taste/smell, and as soon as I felt better and was out of isolation, I drove straight to the shops to stock up on the chocolate I had craved whilst completing the jigsaw grin

Notagranyet1234 Wed 20-Jan-21 22:44:48

Hi everyone, sorry for not replying to you all individually but WOW! Thank you all so much for the lovely photos. So many wonderful pictures of much loved pets, and thank you also for the lovely words. I am okay so far coughing, a little breathless if I try and do anything too exerting. I dread to think what a state the kitchen must be in, as I haven't ventured downstairs since Monday when I really struggled to climb back up the stairs. But this too shall pass, the kitchen will be a mess until it is cleaned, the family are existing on rubbish I suspect but at least they have eaten something.
My middle child has been staying with us since the November lockdown she lives in shared housing in a busy city and 1 housemate had tested positive during the first wave. So I said "come home, we are out in the back of beyond you will be safe here" how little I knew...She tested positive today. Hopefully we will be fine and at least having this cursed virus has given me the joy of reading about all you lovely people and your lives.

moggie57 Wed 20-Jan-21 20:11:06

At least you doing everything right.I just had my test negative though I do have aches and pains and tiredness and nausea.we will all get idiots in this day and age and this will keel us from leaving lockdown. I think there should be a curfew like other countries.but we are getting the vaccine out although it will take time. Stay indoorsindoor and get some me time

narrowboatnan Wed 20-Jan-21 13:21:58

Something to smile at from me, found it on my Facebook page this morning.

crazyH Wed 20-Jan-21 11:45:32

Toddlers eh? ❤️

Yogagirl Wed 20-Jan-21 11:35:27

CrazyH My toddler GD does the same, we have to wedge the fridge door closed when she visits. She actually managed to turn my boiler completely off last time she visited!

crazyH Wed 20-Jan-21 11:30:52

Butter stealer ?

Knittynatter Wed 20-Jan-21 11:21:13

Alison333

Not a grannyyet1234 you have done your very best, now it's time for you to focus on yourself and getting better.

Don't know about your attitude to guinea pigs, but 'David the Lodger' is gorgeous!

Thank you! I will let David know ??

Yogagirl Wed 20-Jan-21 11:17:13

Sorry second pic wrong one, pics so small when uploading, can only see properly once uploaded. Can't find the second pic with them in, here's another cute one.

Casdon Wed 20-Jan-21 11:16:29

Hope you feel a bit better this morning Notagranyet. Lovely dogs on a bike I saw in Florence for you, I couldn’t believe how well behaved they all were when their owner popped onto a shop and left them waiting!

Yogagirl Wed 20-Jan-21 11:08:31

Wish you a speedy recovery notanan Having the vaccine and then getting sick seems very unfair.

Here are the same pics as another poster: Dog out children in grin

B9exchange Wed 20-Jan-21 09:28:43

Hope you are okay Notagrany, our two hope they can make your day a tiny bit brighter.

Cp43 Wed 20-Jan-21 07:13:38

Wednesday today and I have been thinking about your situation. I hope you’re feeling a bit better by now and that the first vaccine has done its job.
I haven’t got any cat pictures but I’m sure you’ve been inundated with them by now. Here is a funny dog pic.

llizzie2 Wed 20-Jan-21 03:09:33

I am sorry you are so alone and afraid. I think the riskiest places to go at the moment are shops. I am not the best person to cheer you up, but you might have a laugh from my experience in December at the hospital.

I have a disability - chronic polyneuropathy. Sometimes it makes swallowing difficult and when I lay down on this occasion I really choked. My gp came and ordered an ambulance to the hospital. When it arrived, the paramedics had no idea why they were here because no one told them. They phoned my doctor who was surprised it had taken 2 hours. He knows how afraid of hospitals I am.

Having ascertained where they were to take me, I was seen, questions etc. and I was supposed to have an endoscopy but they insisted on my swallowing some juice. Then said I had to wait for an xray. I was shown into a waiting area which was rather small as waiting rooms go, with chairs all round. It was full of people, of all ages, including some very noisy people who were with a bipolar patient and who wore no masks and were up and down all the time, shouting and swearing. The staff could see and hear them, but no one came. The waiting room got full. There was an elderly man with the dirtiest mask I ever saw. When he could no longer tolerate the manic depressive people, he started a torrent of swearing and shouting at them. They moaned back at him, saying they had mental health problems and he said something unsavory to that to which they moaned they had been there all afternoon (by this time it was nearly 9at night as there was a TV and Coronation St was on to add to it all) ) and he swore back saying he had been there since 9 in the morning and would they stop the shouting. It subsided a little bit. I had been there since about 3.30. I kept getting up to go to the loo, only it was occupied. After the umpteenth time of trying, a nurse asked me if I wanted the toilet and I said yes and she showed me to another. When I said the other was engaged for ages, she told me it was out of order. I bit back telling her to put a notice on the door as I thought that would do not use.

After I finished, I passed the nurse at the small desk and asked her if she would ring my carer and tell him where to come. She did so. She reminded me that I had the xtray yet. By the time he came the whole place was empty. The only people were myself and an elderly lady sitting slightly behind me to the left. The staff were gone, just us two sitting there. I had a line in, covered it up with a glove, and as there was no one about, my carer pushed me out to his car. We went down a wrong corridor at one point, and it was pitch black. We retraced our steps and found another way, and someone let us out to the ambulance bay where he parked the car. It was dark everywhere, not a light on, and the main car park completely empty. I honestly could not see that I would be taken to xray any time soon. We got in the car and went home. When I got home it was 10pm.

I admire the work the NHS do, and know they are under a strain, but to allow a waiting area get out of control and do nothing surprised me. You cannot make it up, though there used to be a comic strip in comics called Chicks Own and Tiger Tim (until the 1950s) called Casey's Court, and this reminded me of it.

If you get problems coughing, the best cough mixture is port - the white is better. Only a spoonful is needed to settle the throat. ml for ml it is cheaper than cough syrup and more effective.

Hithere Wed 20-Jan-21 00:13:50

I am so sorry and hope you get well soon!