Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Tested positive this morning please cheer me up

(170 Posts)
Notagranyet1234 Tue 19-Jan-21 05:57:40

Hi there everyone
I've not posted before but felt so fed up today I'm hoping to use the hive mind to improve my mood.
I'm approaching 60, single parent for the last 15 years after a long unhappy marriage. Currently I'm working 5 short days a week in a stressful health care role, whilst caring for my elderly parents, mum is terminally ill with breast cancer, and my 2 adult DC at home because they are ASD.
I have been really careful with Covid precautions and have successfully worked through all the lock-downs to keep our very vulnerable patients in the unit free from this virus.
I was tested at work as usual on Friday and tested negative. Started to feel increasingly unwell over the weekend so got a drive through test on Sunday and was notified by text that I was positive on Monday morning.
I feel pretty grim, bad cough, aches and fatigue, hoping that the vaccination I had 10 days ago will mean that avoid a hospital admission.
My problem is that I am really annoyed about catching this, I have a background studying microbiology and have taken all precautions possible whilst continuing to work and care for my family.
I'm fuming with people who don't wear masks, my neighbours are still having parties every Friday and in the supermarket locally I have seen staff members not wearing masks (I'm aware they may have a health exemptions) but what about the gangs of teenagers hanging around on the streets? The people who wear masks incorrectly?,
I have potentially risked the health of all my colleagues and patients (hopefully the PPE will help prevent any transmission)
Cheer me up Gransnetters please any funny stories greatly appreciated or cat photos are equally acceptable 2 of my terrors are attached.

FannyCornforth Tue 19-Jan-21 06:11:58

Hello! You've definitely done the right thing posting on here. You will get lots of friendly support.
I know how annoying and frustrating it is - I thought that I did everything to protect my DH but he still got it.
You cannot blame yourself.
I love your cats. Cat number 1 has the most gorgeous eyes, but of course you know that!
I've got a Maine Coon called Rosie. I can't post her picture now, but there are couple on the Night Owls thread.
I hope that you feel better as the day goes on flowers

Whiff Tue 19-Jan-21 06:18:58

Notagranyet1234 I am sorry you have Covid . It's so annoying when you are so careful and other people don't care. I had said many times we are at war just an enemy we can't see. If bombs where dropping on us people would follow the rules. It's not hard and be honest the rules aren't unreasonable. I don't have pets but here are a couple of pictures of my brother and sister in law's Jack Russell Aggie. Get well soon. ?????

Knittynatter Tue 19-Jan-21 06:19:04

I hope that having had the vaccination already, you start to feel better really soon.
I don’t have a cat but here’s David the Lodger wishing you well ?

Ashcombe Tue 19-Jan-21 07:31:10

How very distressing for you Notagranyet1234! It sounds as if you have a very busy life with many responsibilities. I hope you will not suffer too seriously as you’ve had the vaccine.

Yes, I share your frustration with those who fail to take the precautions seriously. Sadly, they rarely seem to be the ones who suffer.

Here’s a photo of Lola and Cooper who live in France with my DH. They are siblings but completely different in looks and character. She is a skittish, kitten like creature, despite being 15, whilst he is a very knowing, affectionate boy, who studies your face when you talk to him. He lives to eat!!

Please keep us posted about your progress. ?

Washerwoman Tue 19-Jan-21 07:39:35

So sorry you're ill and I absolutely feel your frustration. Several of our family who took all precautions have had Covid -myself included. It does feel particularly rubbish though doesn't it when you have been so careful?
I had to walk away from someone yesterday who continually moans about not being able to go out for a morning coffee and telling me it's all a load of nonsense living with stupid restrictions. It only affects the elderly badly anyway.Then telling me all about friends who still have people round for meals etc and none of them have caught it.She knows several of us have been ill and I have DCs working right in the thick of it.It really wound me up yesterday but you can't focus on the idiots or it drags you down.
Try to take each day as it comes.I was advised do lots of deep breathing exercises and it really helped,becoming quiet meditative.Not something that comes naturally!And cuddle your beautiful cats.Hopefully soon you will be over the worst of it and not too fatigued.Fingers xd for you.

Santana Tue 19-Jan-21 07:41:18

I'm sorry that you have caught this nasty Covid and hope that you don't feel too poorly. Hopefully the vaccine should give you some protection. Look after yourself, and rest as much as you can.
I am moggie less at the moment, unless you count the Tom cat that keeps spraying on my front door. We met on the step yesterday, and I said 'shoooo' how firm is that! Such a handsome boy, quite hard to be cross.
Keep in touch and let everyone know how you are.

Sparklefizz Tue 19-Jan-21 08:07:26

Hi There Notagran I'm sorry to read that you've caught Covid despite being so careful. Life is so unfair at times, and you're entitled to feel angry at all the people who break the rules. They make me angry too. I hope that having had the vaccine will make your symptoms less severe.

Meanwhile, I hope you're able to get plenty of rest and look after yourself, and cuddle your gorgeous cats. Pets are such a blessing at any time but particularly when we're not well.

I love the photos of pets posted above. Here are some photos of mine.

Sara1954 Tue 19-Jan-21 08:09:15

You have my sympathy, hopefully you won’t be too badly affected, still scary though.
I completely understand your frustration, I have a bad cold, trivial, I know. But the point is, where on earth did I get it from? No one at work has a cold, no one at home has a cold, I’ve stuck to the rules, apart from the supermarket and going to work, where I don’t come into contact with the public, I haven’t been anywhere.
So if I can catch a cold that easily, I imagine I could catch Covid just as easily.
Best wishes, hope you recover quickly.

Hetty58 Tue 19-Jan-21 08:49:02

Sara1954, very good point - where did you catch it? Probably the supermarket. It's a type of coronavirus too.

My grandchildren have had the usual winter colds, despite being off school and isolated, washing hands and sanitiser.

They've used playground equipment though, swings, slides etc. - probably never cleaned.

Puzzler61 Tue 19-Jan-21 08:57:52

Sorry you’re poorly with Covid Notagran and I really hope that you will recover quickly as you have had one vaccine.
Here are some flowers to cheer you up - I wish you could smell the hyacinth and narcissus!

Puzzler61 Tue 19-Jan-21 09:00:45

And here is my pet - who likes to lie on the pieces in my jigsaw box.
Your cats are beautiful - as are all the pets in posted photo’s this morning. ? ?

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 19-Jan-21 09:04:09

So sorry and I hope you get well soon, I don’t have a funny story but here’s a photo that might make you go ‘oooh’

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 19-Jan-21 09:11:57

And another

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 19-Jan-21 09:17:21

Just to say of course I don’t condone violence of any kind and I’m sure that she wouldn’t really smack the poor dear.

PamelaJ1 Tue 19-Jan-21 09:24:29

I am glad that you have had the vaccination notagrannyyet and you had it 10 days ago so you should have some protection against having this horrible virus badly. I hope that’s a positive reaction to your story.

The scary thing about it all is the fact that even those of us who are obeying all the rules seem to be picking it up.

hetty I had a wry smile at your comment about no one cleaning the play equipment. Who do you think should be responsible for that?

Alexa Tue 19-Jan-21 09:31:10

NotAGrannyYet1234, I feel anger on your behalf. You are paying for others' stupidity.

There is no natural justice.

Now you will have even more work to do to fight the virus. fortunately for you , you seem to be well informed and will ensure you rest, and take plenty of fluids.

Kalu Tue 19-Jan-21 09:45:12

Hoping you get well soon notagrannyyet. I share your frustration at those who either still don’t get it or just don’t care that they may be carriers as they continually mingle with others.

Your poem gave me a much needed giggle this morning Oopsadaisy ?

Possibly wearing gloves would help to avoid catching any virus on play equipment Hetty. It would be impossible to constantly sanitise all equipment after each child had used it.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 19-Jan-21 09:59:43

Ripley and Milo guarding the fireplace.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 19-Jan-21 10:00:49

Milo and Ripley

Authoress Tue 19-Jan-21 10:07:57

Oh, what bad luck! I do hope you feel better soon. No cat pictures to hand, but a rather mediaeval dog from a local church instead!

Twig14 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:09:54

Morning I have just read your post and v sorry you have been tested positive. If this is if any help my DM age 100 taken into hospital end November. She was Covid negative. I didn’t think she woukd get better but she has. Due to be discharged week last Monday but was swabbed day before n found to be Covid positive. Was taken into a Covid ward where she has been last two weeks. Yesterday tested negative!!! Absolutely fine n due to be discharged today. Told by nurse on the ward so many are recovering from the virus. Lost my DF in April last year to Covid. Can’t believe at the great age of my DM shes ok. Hope you feel lots better soon

Sputnik Tue 19-Jan-21 10:11:55

Be well!

Nicky7of7 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:12:34

I hope you feel better soon. Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery I hope this photo helps to cheer you up! Have you logged on to the Covid 19 Zoe app they are asking for people to join to log their vaccination and any after effects and subsequent infections for research.

Granof5 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:14:56

Hi Notagranyet1234, so sorry to hear that after all your precautions you’ve managed to catch this awful Covid-19, I too get so cross with people either not wearing masks or wearing them wrong but what really gets me fuming is the filthy buggers that think it’s fine in the middle of a pandemic to clear their throats and spit on the pavement and don’t care who sees them, it’s disgusting at the best of times but especially now. Anyway here are my cats to cheer you up, feel better soon xx