Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Can you catch Covid from grandchild

(59 Posts)
Whiff Fri 22-Jan-21 21:56:47

My grandson was in contact with another child at nursery on Wednesday . Today my daughter was informed the child has tested positive with Covid. I looked after my grandson for 4 hours today . Not worried but just wondered.

Callistemon Sun 24-Jan-21 17:21:12

I hope you don't get it whiff

?

Whiff Sun 24-Jan-21 17:04:40

I am self isolating until 1st February. Thank you to all of you who asked and were kind. I am fine. To those of you who weren't manners don't cost anything. I treat people as I want to be treated you must want to be treated awfully. Think how you would feel if you asked something and had some of the replies you sent me. Shame on you.

hulahoop Sun 24-Jan-21 16:51:16

Whiff hope you are ok ?
*Fanny corn forth *hope your oh is on the mend bless him

honeyrose Sun 24-Jan-21 16:27:05

Best wishes, Whiff, and hope you are ok. I haven’t looked after my grandchildren since just before Christmas in the light of the more contagious variant. They go to preschool in the mornings and my daughter is a teacher, so it was a “double” risk for me, even though I think it’s allowable by Boris. I did look after the GC between September - December when things were slightly easier, but it was always a risk. Please feel free to ask questions on GN - we often look for reassurance and advice from others as well as information and most posters are very polite and helpful.

FannyCornforth Sun 24-Jan-21 16:10:31

GranEd thank you, that's so sweet flowers
But you aren't helping matters in the 'tearing up department'!

MayBee ooh, didn't know that, thank you

MayBee70 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:22:13

Worth knowing that an oximeter won’t work if you’ve got nail varnish on you nails. If you do turn your finger sideways.

GranEd Sun 24-Jan-21 12:15:55

Aww FannyCornforth!
I’m not often spurred into commenting but that was so touching! Bless him ! You’ve got a good’un there.
It’s the sort of daft thing mine would do.
Best wishes to you both. ?

FannyCornforth Sun 24-Jan-21 12:02:56

GagaJo I know. hmm
The thing is (and this is making me well up) he was after a screwdriver to tighten up the stair handrail because he was scared of me falling.
Sorry, I've got to go, I've got something in my eye...

GagaJo Sun 24-Jan-21 11:47:48

Exactly, Sickofweddingcake. Why can't we be kind?

I apologise BEFORE my comment FannyCornforth because I wish both you and your husband very good health, but... in the shed one week after leaving hospital? Men eh?! LOL

Sickofweddingcake Sun 24-Jan-21 11:26:55

It wouldn't surprise me if Whiff didn't come back with an update! Why would you, when some people make you feel decidedly awkward,or silly...or similar? It makes no sense to me to be harsh when somebody is reaching out,especially on Corona virus advice...a minefield,at the best of times! Whiff, I hope you are well. x

25Avalon Sun 24-Jan-21 11:16:42

Oximeters are most useful if someone does actually have Covid as it shows when the oxygen levels have reached such a low level that hospital admission is a necessity.

25Avalon Sun 24-Jan-21 11:13:23

You can get an oximeter for as little as £10. It shows the amount of saturated oxygen in your blood. On Buy, Amazon’s new would be rivals have them.

Whiff I am sorry for some of the replies which may have seemed unkind on here. Sometimes people don’t realise their remarks could cause upset. Try not to take it personally. They are in the minority. I hope you don’t get Covid. There is a risk unfortunately particularly with this new strain. Your gc could have the test to see if he is positive.

FannyCornforth Sun 24-Jan-21 11:12:44

Sorry 'one' being an oximeter. It was about £20 from Amazon.

FannyCornforth Sun 24-Jan-21 11:11:38

Yes, I've got one.
DH's levels are all over the shop still.
Between 86 and 99.
Mine are sometimes as low as 95, which suggests that I've had it.
The lowest DH's was was 46 shock
He'd been out of hospital for just a week and decided in his wisdom to go in the shed. He collapsed and was back in hospital for another day. It seems that the cold had sent his lungs haywire.

Callistemon Sun 24-Jan-21 10:56:47

FannyC I think the Government have just decided they might be a good idea but I doubt everyone will get one.
The thought's there but ...

They sound like a good idea

Blinko Sun 24-Jan-21 10:45:36

Lilikemaho

Why are some people so cheeky on this forum when someone asks a simple question really no need

Looks like a good many of us thought the answer was indeed clear. I just hope that Whiff is keeping well, and is self isolating...just in case.

FannyCornforth Sun 24-Jan-21 10:42:57

welbeck

oximeters etc for monitoring obs are loaned to patients at home, so they can be monitored remotely and kept out of hosp where poss.
local GPs, out of hours, ambu service etc arrange this.

Do they?
They told me to buy one.

Lilikemaho Sun 24-Jan-21 10:39:39

Why are some people so cheeky on this forum when someone asks a simple question really no need

Blossoming Sat 23-Jan-21 23:16:39

I should think you can catch it from anybody who has it.

welbeck Sat 23-Jan-21 23:14:46

oximeters etc for monitoring obs are loaned to patients at home, so they can be monitored remotely and kept out of hosp where poss.
local GPs, out of hours, ambu service etc arrange this.

GagaJo Sat 23-Jan-21 23:01:11

I once had a student bounce into my lesson boasting 'I licked a slide in science. It had salmonella on it.' Speechless.

Gransooz Sat 23-Jan-21 22:30:00

I’m not surprised when I hear that schoolchildren could be superspreaders, especially teenagers. My daughter teaches CDT at secondary school and when she has told them off for getting too close to each other, they LICK each other!! Thank goodness schools are closed just now.

GagaJo Sat 23-Jan-21 22:19:04

How are you doing Whiff? Are you still OK?

Liz46 Sat 23-Jan-21 12:45:51

Our 10 year old grandson brought it home from school and infected my daughter, grand daughter and daughter's partner.

His best friend from school also took the virus back to his family. Neither boys was badly affected but everyone else was!

twinnytwin Sat 23-Jan-21 12:37:29

We usually look after our GDs (9 & 11) before and after school - their parents are essential workers but since Christmas my DS has insisted that we no longer do so as I'm clinically extremely vulnerable and DH over 70. We just wave to them from afar now. We now have supermarket deliveries. DS doesn't want us to risk catching Covid now when the end is in sight, albeit some way off.
Hope you stay well Whiff. Keep safe.