Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Children of critical (key ) workers and school.

(45 Posts)
Atqui Mon 25-Jan-21 14:38:11

“Children with at least one parent or carer who is a critical worker can go to school or college if required, but parents and carers should keep their children at home if they can”
Does this apply where one of the parents is not employed (other than as a parent). One would hope not but my GD school is 2/3 full at the moment.

Franbern Tue 26-Jan-21 11:59:52

I am quite surprised as what comes under 'key worker' heading. My daughter is in school five days a week (Year 7's), many of the children there are those that would be described as 'challenging'. Parent(s) cannot deal with them at home, so they go to school. My daughters own children stay at home doing their lessons (Years 11 & 13) on line.

It is strange to me when I hear that 'schools are closed'

4allweknow Tue 26-Jan-21 12:06:39

My two sons and their wives are juggling working from home and childcare. One also has to go into work a few times (engineer) to check work conditions. They all have schedules where one works and other supervises children. Long days often ending about 10 pm and sometimes they have to both work at the same time so children left to watch tv. It's not only essential workers who have childcare problems. At times I feel there are more vulnerable children than others these days with the increase in numbers I have seen going into school this lockdown

Aepgirl Tue 26-Jan-21 12:12:19

Some parents are interpreting the rules to suit themselves. If one parent is at home, not working, then the child should be home-schooled.

JaneJudge Tue 26-Jan-21 12:19:27

We had to apply here if we required a school place and I presume they made a judgement as to whether you required a place or not but schools are certainly very much open. Special schools here were open in the first lockdown too.

Jaxjacky Tue 26-Jan-21 12:26:52

My daughter works in a primary school, one on one with challenging children predominately, helping out elsewhere when necessary. During lockdown 1 she was on a rota with other staff, all staff are now in working their normal hours..

Paperbackwriter Tue 26-Jan-21 12:41:43

NannyDaft

My Granddaughter is going to school because her both her parents Are Key Workers ! But she is only allowed to go on the days her Mummy( nurse) works.

Goodness, that sounds very sexist, doesn't it? Or doesn't the dad have ANY time off? (Sorry, just curious!)

Chardy Tue 26-Jan-21 13:16:08

As a retired teacher, I was quite angry when I read the criteria on .gov.uk, they seemed to be deliberately vague. Then apparently some businesses were demanding spouses of key workers to come in, because their children had a place in school!
Schools should have no more children in them than Lockdown 1. Some teachers are now teaching half classes all day, and then teaching those at home via internet, so doing double the work. Ridiculous.

Daddima Tue 26-Jan-21 13:38:14

growstuff

Jane10

We overlook a school and there seem to be many more children attending than there were at the first lockdown.

I'm not sure how it is in Scotland, but the definition of "key worker" was widened in England.

I was listening to a podcast, and the presenter said they were back in the studio because they were now classed as key workers. Last lockdown, they broadcast from their homes, so I wonder what’s different now?

MamaB247 Tue 26-Jan-21 13:41:51

My son is under the list of vulnerable children as a young carer, but I haven't sent him. I can understand those who need to work and aren't able to keep them at home. But if you can keep them home safely without too much problem then you should. I haven't sent mine primarily because if he was to get Covid and bring it home I am high risk, so we have focused on staying at home away from as many people as possible and limiting any contact. If there's another parent at home who can care for them and is able to they should. These places are supposed to be for key workers and those kids who couldn't cope without school.

Atqui Tue 26-Jan-21 14:25:21

I’m afraid some parents don’t want to take responsibility for their children- I’m talking about those where one parent is normally not working , be it the mother or the ‘house husband’ as we used to call stay at home fathers. My daughter is working every evening so that she can keep the children at home , and doesn’t know how long she can keep,this up.

Luckylegs Tue 26-Jan-21 14:33:30

It does seem now that everyone who is working is classed as a “key worker “!

Classic Tue 26-Jan-21 15:40:38

The children in school are only having lessons part of the time, and playing the rest of the time, perhaps the schools are worried they might 'get ahead' of those at home, but many of those at home will be working far harder than even if they were at school. Shop workers are key workers, the police, armed forces, NHS, teachers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, delivery drivers and many many others, if you think about it, a job needs to be essential or it wouldn't be a viable job. I haven't seen any figures that make teachers working with children more at risk than shop workers working with the public. People forget about all the lower paid people that have to go to work, and are putting themselves at risk at the same time, cleaners for instance, care staff, shop workers, all are vital, all come into contact with the public, and cant organise bubbles like teachers can. children need to go to school, so their parents can work, and so that when they grow up they will be equipped to work. Education has not been shown to be a hotbed of infection like hospitals have and in my opinion should not be 'closed' though parents that want to keep their children home should be allowed.

Dianehillbilly1957 Tue 26-Jan-21 18:04:10

My daughter has just started a key worker locum job, away from home and her husband is a frontline worker. I offered to do child care to enable her to earn some money as I'm stuck at home doing very little and her job is highly qualified and needed, so it seemed a shame for her not to do it for a while. It would be nice for the children to be in school, but we feel their health and safety from the virus is better catered for at home, so I'm learning all about home schooling!!
But I'm wondering how much the in school kids are getting in comparison to the home schoolers?? They are no doubt an advantage
which is probably unfair, but their safety is paramount!! I do know that in my granddaughter's wee school there are kids that shouldn't or don't need to be there but parents are sending them, but don't know if the school is at liberty to say anything!!!!

Franbern Tue 26-Jan-21 18:18:51

Do not think there is any (educational) advantage to those children going into school. Where my daughter it, she just oversees the youngsters doing their on-line work. At least at the school they all have access to their own screens (many may not do so at home). Same lesson is also shown on large screen at front of class, and she just moves around assisting those that require it. So no difference if they were at home doing this work.

She does try to get them out of door at least once most days. Either for a walk around the school grounds, or some form of PE out of doors. 11 and 12 year olds, - not very keen in the current weather. Windows are kept open, and masks are worn indoors. She does her own Lateral flow test twice a week. Her husband is EV and Shielding.

PaperMonster Tue 26-Jan-21 21:21:56

I’m a college tutor so classed as a key worker: college is closed and I’m doing remote learning with my students. My OH is classed as a critical worker as his work comes under construction and he is going into his workplace. So, we could send our daughter to school, but didn’t consider it. I have very few students thanks to the effects of Covid, so I work in one room and my daughter works in another. She’s Year 5 and capable of seeing to herself (although this week is proving to be trying!!) There aren’t too many from her class who are actually in school. I have seen a grid that some schools are using that prioritises which pupils can go in to school based on parents’ roles.

Lizbethann55 Tue 26-Jan-21 22:32:09

My DD and SiL are both NHS key workers so DGD can go to school but only 4 days a week as DD only works 4 days a week. There are certainly more key workers this time than last. Someone I know works for the local council and her work is easily done from home and isn't 9 to 5 dependant. This time she is classed as a key worker so her children can go to school, though her husband could also work from home.

Ann29 Tue 26-Jan-21 22:42:11

I think parents can ask to be furloughed if they have children who need home schooling but the employer hasn't got to agree

PECS Tue 26-Jan-21 23:12:50

It is hard.
Managing your own job, keeping two kids focussed on lessons. Worried about family you can't see.. what happens if your employer puts pressure on you..is your job under threat? ...

Schools are planning lessons differently so they are easier for kids / parents to do without professional teaching expert to hand, and managing in school lessons, juggling zoom lessons, marking work uploaded at odd times, contacting families who are at home but not joining in on line, trying to do parent evening by phone/ zoom.

Now lockdown & home learning has lost its novelty... more parents are seeking places. Schools have to do risk assessments to identify how many kids/ staff can safely be on the site. It will change from school to school depending on the building style/ size etc etc. Schools are trying hard to accommodate as many "vulnerable" children and ' children of 'keyworkers' . This time the list of which jobs fell into that keyworker group was bigger hmm

icanhandthemback Wed 27-Jan-21 13:23:03

Both my son and DIL are key workers working from home but my grandson goes to school. As he is ASD, it is completely impossible for them both to work if he is in the house as he has to be watched 24/7!
My granddaughter has issues too and the school has said they want her to attend even though my daughter doesn't work. My daughter really didn't want her to because of her own health issues and vulnerability to COVID but she has little choice because it is apparently a safeguarding issue. This, despite Social Services being involved and giving them a clear pass. In fact not only did they determine the children were safe, they told them that my granddaughter had a lovely family life, a beautiful home and were coping admirably given their circumstances. However, Social Services being involved was highly stressful so my daughter doesn't want to push it by saying her daughter can't go to school.
As I understand it, schools do have a choice as to whether to allow attendance and I do know people who have been denied a place.