Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

When will the schools open again?

(44 Posts)
MawBe Mon 25-Jan-21 19:06:27

No I don’t want to know, I just wish people would stop asking impossible questions.
The only answer is “When it is safe to do so” and asking again and again is like a toddler pestering their parent for sweets in the supermarket - asking and asking won’t make it happen. Sadly we all know what will happen if the wrong decision is made.
So as my mum used to say “Stop pestering me!”
She also used to add “I want doesn’t get

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:52:40

Lucca I have no intentions of arguing with you, suffice to say I have DILs who would totally disagree with you.

There really is no need to use shouty capitals.

Lucca Tue 26-Jan-21 10:54:01

They are not shouty I just really really wanted you to see that hard as it is for everyone nobody can surely deny that it is less hard if you have a nice living environment ? No ?

Lucca Tue 26-Jan-21 10:55:53

By the way it is not jealousy. I have enough money and a nice place to live as do my children. But I am not unaware of “differences”

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Jan-21 11:03:26

Lucca I do not need to be made aware of different circumstances and living environments thank you.

So it’s ok constantly being told you have a nice home, garden and computers. When inside you are feeling an abject failure due to homeschooling meltdowns. A comfortably off parents feelings/mental health struggles are just as valid as someone on benefits or low wages.

Sara1954 Tue 26-Jan-21 12:19:58

It may still be hard, but if I were her I’d be ashamed of whinging about it, when you see the circumstances a lot of families are trying to manage with

Iam64 Tue 26-Jan-21 13:33:03

No one is suggesting that money prevents home schooling Or this pandemic being stressful. To insist that it isn’t exacerbated by lack of lap tops, physical space and enough money to heat your home and feed your children is frankly insulting.

Tea3 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:48:08

Lucca, I saw this article, glanced over it and didn’t think it worthy of further attention. Wealth doesn’t make you happy but it makes misery easier.

paddyanne Tue 26-Jan-21 14:53:15

if she's wealthy why doesn't she employ a tutor ?

westendgirl Tue 26-Jan-21 15:04:22

Lucca , I read that article and the word that made me angry was" rubbish"., as in" I set up two desks - in different rooms , naturally- with all the necessary printouts, pens, rulers, glue sticks and whatever other rubbish the teacher says we need."
.This tells me a lot about this particular entitled mother's attitude to education and to the teachers who have to deliver it to her "introverted and unhappy children "

trisher Tue 26-Jan-21 15:31:17

On TV I saw a single parent (male) lving with his three children in a one bedroomed 15th floor small flat. I'm sure he would be willing to swap places with this entitled moaner, then she might really have something to complain about.

Lucca Tue 26-Jan-21 16:18:03

Good to hear it’s not just me ! The whole thing made me so angry it’s actually ruined my day. Ok to say you’re finding it hard I get that, but to say your environment and circumstances don’t make any difference is appalling.

trisher Tue 26-Jan-21 18:44:41

As far as school opening is concerned I was thinking the other day that actually what we should be doing is planning for every child to have some degree of organised outdoor exercise whilst their school is closed. There must be hundreds of trainers and coaches from sports who can't work just now, let's get them police checked and draft them into schools so children can go to an outdoor site and have a couple of sessions a week of outdoor exercise. They would have social and physical contact, get exercise they need and be safer than inside a building. If the weather is really bad it could be canceled but actually an hour outside in most conditions would be good.

Sara1954 Tue 26-Jan-21 20:46:54

Trisher
That would be great, but would it be allowed?

trisher Tue 26-Jan-21 22:29:37

I can't see why not.It wouldn't have to involve huge groups of children -maybe 12-15, could be overseen by a teacher with trainers/instructors running sessions. There must be some games which could be adapted so there is little contact. I just watched some children trapped in tower blocks running riot in a small flat and I realised it isn't just the academic work children need but a real opportunity for physical play. Of course it would take some people at the top to organise and fund the whole thing-so it won't happen.

Iam64 Wed 27-Jan-21 08:32:24

One of my daughters is an extra her, working as a PT. she gad up to date police check because she was working in schools. That ended with lockdown. Schools aren’t bringing anyone in - Covid spread. But yes, get them exercising, essential

Galaxy Wed 27-Jan-21 08:41:32

Yes only essential visits allowed at the time. And it would need an enormous amount of staffing because people couldnt cross bubbles. And those children would be mixing with other children so it would risk transmission. Also I am not aware of any schools that are closed they are open to keyworker children. Many are up to half capacity.

growstuff Wed 27-Jan-21 09:08:23

trisher

I can't see why not.It wouldn't have to involve huge groups of children -maybe 12-15, could be overseen by a teacher with trainers/instructors running sessions. There must be some games which could be adapted so there is little contact. I just watched some children trapped in tower blocks running riot in a small flat and I realised it isn't just the academic work children need but a real opportunity for physical play. Of course it would take some people at the top to organise and fund the whole thing-so it won't happen.

Why don't you contact a local sports person (with the same standing as Marcus Rashford) and suggest it?

trisher Wed 27-Jan-21 09:38:28

OK growstuff I have e-mailed my local football club- I will post any answers I get.