Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Scared teacher

(37 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 26-Jan-21 06:59:50

I had a fairly lengthy exposure on Sunday to a student who tested positive on Monday. When I say lengthy, I mean maskless and close contact. She was having a bit of a breakdown due to stress and crying (as in snotty nose sobbing off and on for an hour). There was no way I could not comfort her.

So now I am really scared. I had my FFP mask on but her own mask was off and on. Hard to wear a mask when you are out of control. I don't blame her at all, she's a younger teenager and needed support. But... ARGH

Mamardoit Fri 29-Jan-21 11:59:18

Sorry to hear this Gagajo. Hope you remain symptom free.

Daisymae Fri 29-Jan-21 10:38:44

Hope you are staying well. A lot of transmission is happening in the workplace for one reason or another.

trisher Fri 29-Jan-21 10:27:11

Hope you are fit and well Gagajo and the stress isn't getting to you.

M0nica Fri 29-Jan-21 10:11:19

Another day, I do hope you are continuingto stay well.

Franbern Thu 28-Jan-21 11:44:08

Hope you are keeping well still, Gagajo. At my daughters school, she has to test herself twice a week (Lateral Flow Tests), even though there have been no pupils or staff attending who have had anything positive.

GagaJo Wed 27-Jan-21 15:40:45

Still no symptoms. Fingers crossed! ?? ?

Namsnanny Wed 27-Jan-21 15:14:34

Wishing for the best GagaJo

Wheniwasyourage Wed 27-Jan-21 15:02:04

Best wishes, GagaJo flowers

M0nica Wed 27-Jan-21 14:46:30

GagaJo, I hope you are continuing well.

Elrel Tue 26-Jan-21 16:40:36

GagaJo Wishing you well.

GagaJo Tue 26-Jan-21 16:20:30

Ironically, on Monday morning, I had had enough of students walking round maskless because they were following the example of staff who do it (AGAINST the Swiss rules) and complained to the deputy head. And in the staff meeting that morning, when someone asked to close the window, I said no, it was needed for ventilation (he is one of the mask rule breakers).

I feel a bit now as if I was shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted. I still feel OK. Long may it last. Even last weeks cough has gone.

trisher Tue 26-Jan-21 16:20:12

Hope you are OK Gagajo I know a few people who have had one person catch it but the rest of the family seemed fine. You may be lucky. Do update us regularly so we know you are alright. Here's some Irish luck shamrock

FarNorth Tue 26-Jan-21 16:18:03

those rules are idiotic! Does Switzerland really not understand that much of the spread of the virus has been caused by asymptomatic cases?

Genuinely confused - won't isolating prevent transmission to anyone else?

GagaJo wishing you well and hoping that no symptoms appear.

AGAA4 Tue 26-Jan-21 16:13:14

My daughter, a teacher sat next to a colleague for several hours. No PPE allowed in the staff room. The colleague tested positive the next day and my D had an anxious wait but didn't get it. Her test was negative.
I hope you will be the same and not catch it GagaJo

muse Tue 26-Jan-21 16:09:36

Keep in touch GagaJo. So much stress for you whilst waiting for possible symptoms to arrive.

Thank you for the support you gave the student. She was so lucky to have you to turn to and know you would listen. So many times that all it needs. To tell someone your worries.

I have a 16 year old granddaughter who had an extremely difficult year at school 2019. I wish she had someone like you to turn too. Mum in the end got her some external support.

There are many who know how many roles teachers have to play but I wish this was 100% of people.
sunshine flowers

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jan-21 15:58:27

My friends’ son is asymtomatic but his partner her mum and her dad who all live in the same house have all tested negative
Hopefully that will be the case with you GagaJo

geekesse Tue 26-Jan-21 14:09:46

I quite understand that you could do nothing other than you did, but what rotten luck. Here’s another bunch of good wishes hoping that you don’t get the virus, or if you do that it has only the most minor and temporary impact on you.

Rosie51 Tue 26-Jan-21 13:53:12

Fingers crossed you don't catch it, but those rules are idiotic! Does Switzerland really not understand that much of the spread of the virus has been caused by asymptomatic cases? In many areas of the UK you don't have to have symptoms to get a test, anybody can get one now. Is it possible (and affordable!) to pay for a private test? A good quality mask should give you some protection, and as others have said, even in a family situation, not everybody has been infected. Wishing you well ?

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 10:41:56

Oh dear, you were being kind and put yourself at risk. I do hope you don't go on to get Covid. ? You may not necessarily get it.
Are there other pupils there with Covid or has term not started yet?
Have you got Vit D and perhaps Vit C and zinc you can take?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:01:50

Hope you are ok Gagajo

GagaJo Tue 26-Jan-21 09:29:40

I know. If I was in the UK, I would invent a symptom and drive myself to get tested.

MawBe Tue 26-Jan-21 09:21:54

GagaJo

No, I just have to isolate (according to Swiss rules) until I have a symptom.

Those masks were expensive. Here is hoping they really do work.

Those rules are flawed! Gagajo - you could be asymptomatic but still positive. A test would make much more sense

Marydoll Tue 26-Jan-21 09:20:28

An anxious wait, Gaga. There is one positive, you will have plenty time to prepare course work and browse GN. wink

GagaJo Tue 26-Jan-21 09:16:13

No, I just have to isolate (according to Swiss rules) until I have a symptom.

Those masks were expensive. Here is hoping they really do work.

GrannySomerset Tue 26-Jan-21 09:01:39

What rotten luck, Gagajo, do hope you have been one of the lucky ones and have not been infected. As you say, you can’t not comfort someone in distress.