Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

It's just been announced that we have passed 100,000 deaths.

(186 Posts)
PippaZ Tue 26-Jan-21 16:42:11

I'm not sure there is anything I can add to that at the moment.

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Jan-21 08:26:39

And sorry, because I can't help myself - the 40k figure was 3 days worth of vaccinations because they hadn't reported for the previous 2 days.

Kalu Thu 28-Jan-21 10:53:19

My friends and I, 70 and over group have received vaccine appointments in the last couple of days. Central Scotland.

ajswan Fri 29-Jan-21 12:37:20

I honestly don’t think that we can blame the government. It is irresponsible people and I think that all the shops and bus services have a lot to answer for. Why in the very beginning did shops and buses and trains not use a simple system of putting notices up saying ‘no mask no entry, unless you are exempt’, building sites have notices saying ‘no hard hat, no work. Sainsbury’s and Asda had people inside the door with free masks but if they had large notices up then there would not be conflict with the staff. This is such a simple solution that would have worked. Too little too late, but shops and public services could start to do this now.

Mamardoit Fri 29-Jan-21 13:09:49

I think it is better this time. I know on trains they are being strict with masks. They are announcing only key workers are allowed to travel and if you are not a key worker please leave the train.

I'm sure they would allow anyone travelling for a medical appointment to stay on.

PippaZ Sat 30-Jan-21 11:42:37

I find watching our local FB page keeps me feeling very upbeat about the rollout of the vaccine because it often has posts from people who have been for their vaccination and how impressed they have been with the system. All very positive and very real because it is people I might pass in the street.

lemongrove Sat 30-Jan-21 12:15:59

Septimia

I'm not going to defend the government. Lots of mistakes have been made and, as I've said before, whoever was in charge would have made at least some mistakes because it's a novel situation.

What should have happened is that all MPs, of whatever persuasion, should have been working together, not bickering in the House of Commons. They should have joined forces as soon as the gravity of the situation became apparent and they are ALL at fault for not doing this.

Just what I think too Septimia ???

paddyanne Sat 30-Jan-21 12:37:39

I do wonder if this is one of the reasons they were making "mistakes" The Telegraph online

Government saves 600million in state pensions as Covid Deaths soar

I'll just let that sink in.
Well he has to get the cash for his dodgy mates from somewhere !

PippaZ Sat 30-Jan-21 12:48:01

paddyanne

I do wonder if this is one of the reasons they were making "mistakes" The Telegraph online

Government saves 600million in state pensions as Covid Deaths soar

I'll just let that sink in.
Well he has to get the cash for his dodgy mates from somewhere !

Worth repeating: Government saves 600million in state pensions as Covid Deaths soar

Mollygo Sat 30-Jan-21 12:48:56

Paddyanne, that’s just what my German sister-in-law said when they said they weren’t going to use AstraZeneca on over 65’s over there. I passed on the reassurance that a GN poster here said they’d use something else. She asked me if we’d believe that if we were told that over here!
They are desperate to be vaccinated, both being much older than me.

Alegrias1 Sat 30-Jan-21 12:55:40

The furlough scheme costs £14 billion pounds a month. I don't think the government has taken this course to save what is in effect pocket money.