Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The coronavirus vaccine rollout

(89 Posts)
Alegrias1 Thu 28-Jan-21 09:28:38

Now that we are well into the vaccine rollout in the UK I thought it might be interesting to have a thread to discuss it and how its going.

Alegrias1 Sun 31-Jan-21 16:03:03

Agreed Casdon. Glad its not me who had to make the decisions.

Witzend Sun 31-Jan-21 15:55:50

@biba70, yes, dh had his a week ago last Friday, and I had mine a week later. We’re 71 and 73.
Both had the AZ.
I did have some very shivery/shaky flu like symptoms that night, but according to the bumf that’s normal, and they were gone by morning.
Dh had no reaction at all
I felt reassured rather than otherwise - it meant something was happening!

Casdon Sun 31-Jan-21 15:44:51

It’s a really difficult area isn’t it, damned if they do and damned if they don’t. I agree with you, it should be done based on the mortality priorities agreed by JCVI. - but I can see the other side of it too, particularly for the police who are responding to calls, and being deliberately spat at.

Alegrias1 Sun 31-Jan-21 15:24:53

The way I read it in Pulse Casdon is that PHE are considering vaccinating key workers after the over 70s but that the JCVI are still advising going for the age group prioritisation

www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/clinical-areas/immunology-and-vaccines/key-workers-could-soon-be-added-to-vaccine-priority-list-says-stevens/

JCVI response: www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/30/older-groups-must-remain-top-priority-for-vaccines-warn-government-advisers

I sincerely hope they don't give in to political pressure.

Casdon Sun 31-Jan-21 14:57:54

Interesting article thanks Alegrias1. It’s interesting to see that Starmer is included for suggesting teachers are vaccinated over half term, when JVCI are allegedly considering that themselves for all key workers - and it’s been very widely supported on Gransnet as well. Not sure it falls into quite the same category as the EU debacle.

Alegrias1 Sun 31-Jan-21 14:52:07

Really good article from the Observer today, about how Starmer, the BMA and President Macron have all contributed separately to undermining confidence in the vaccines and the rollout.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/31/politiicians-and-doctors-risk-fuelling-covid-vaccine-scepticism?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

BBbevan Sat 30-Jan-21 18:48:56

I had my letter today with a day and time. DH also, but his is a day after mine. I shall ring on Monday in the Hope we can go together. We are in Wales by the way and both 76

rosie19la Sat 30-Jan-21 17:03:55

B9exchange Thanks for your suggestion however it doesn't work for Scotland which seems to be a different as I believe the letter gives you an appointment at a specific location and if it is not suitable you can phone to change it.

chrissyh Sat 30-Jan-21 16:36:58

I had my letter today and went online to book. DH is the same age but hasn't received his. As we will have to travel to get it, I decided to book for DH, as well, for the same dates as me. You book both vaccinations at the same time, making the second for six weeks after the first one.

SueDonim Sat 30-Jan-21 16:35:34

Well, dh didn’t get his blue-envelope-that-is-white today, nor did any other 70+ folk that I know of. Mum is still waiting. ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

B9exchange Sat 30-Jan-21 16:10:45

Those of you who haven't had your letters yet, please don't just sit there! If you log onto the www.nhs.uk website and find corona vaccinations, you can book your slot if you are eligible whether you have had a letter or not, it will tell you if you are not. So many letters have got lost in the post, when I logged on yesterday afternoon there were dozens of empty slots just going to waste because people were still waiting for their letters. It seems such a terrible waste.

rosie19la Sat 30-Jan-21 16:05:03

No letters or phone calls yet offering vaccine for 72year old CEV and 74 year in Fife.

chrissyh Sat 30-Jan-21 15:50:26

Franbern In reply to your post that it is not fake news the following paragraph was in the telegraph today after an article discussing the failings of the EU coronavirus roll out.

All of which has been accompanied by undignified commentary from EU political leaders, with Emmanuel Macron, the French president, sounding almost Trumpian in his unfounded claim that the AstraZeneca vaccine is “quasi-ineffective on people older than 65, some say those 60 years or older”. Just as the fox in Aesop’s fable decided he didn’t want the grapes he couldn’t reach.

aquagran Sat 30-Jan-21 15:21:46

Kate1949 Thank you. For once I agree with Priti Patel, it is morally reprehensible.

lemongrove Sat 30-Jan-21 09:56:04

That was convenient muse we had ours done three days apart, but the centre only a 20 min drive away.

lemongrove Sat 30-Jan-21 09:52:52

DH came in from a walk the other day smiling, a neighbour who we don’t see very often had stopped him and asked if his parents had been vaccinated yet.His parents ( had they been alive) would now be 116.
True, he was a late baby and isn’t grey as yet, but even so...?

Alegrias1 Sat 30-Jan-21 09:26:35

It’s great isn’t it when we actually hear of people we know getting immunised? I think about 20 people now that I personally know. Wonderful.

Couldn't agree more UG. A few days ago a friend put a post on Facebook saying how her mum and dad had had their jags, and about 20 other people commented with things like "mine too" or "they're having it next week!" That cheered me up a lot. We're getting there. smile

maryrose54 Sat 30-Jan-21 08:01:04

Our surgery is vaccinating people in their 60s.

muse Fri 29-Jan-21 23:04:20

We had texts today, within seconds of each other, from the surgery. It contained a link to a treatment centre wesbite at the small local hospital, 10 mins away.

A choice of times for next Thursday. All booked for 17:00.

Soupy Fri 29-Jan-21 22:49:44

Our GP surgery is currently vaccinating over 70s plus people who are CEV.

They have a note on their website to ask people to contact them if they are older and haven't yet had their first vaccination appointment, so long as they are registered with the practice.

SueDonim Fri 29-Jan-21 22:44:19

Only one has been CEV, in her 40’s. My mum’s 78yo friend in London has had both jabs as has her 96yo cousin in Hampshire.

Rosie51 Fri 29-Jan-21 22:40:02

SueDonim They've been blooming lucky then, especially the London one where not even all over 75s are done yet. I don't know about the rest of the country but some of my NHS frontline family have only just received their jabs in the last few days. Are any of them in the special categories to jump the age priority? Hope your mum gets hers soon.

SueDonim Fri 29-Jan-21 22:29:42

Rosie51, a couple in their 50’s in the Midlands, another in Milton Keynes area, two people in their 40’s, one in London, one in Bristol.

My mum managed to speak to her surgery today. They just said ‘You’ll get it, eventually.’ ?‍♀️

I’ve not heard of one person between 70-80yo who has yet had this blue-envelope-letter-that’s-white.

Shinamae Fri 29-Jan-21 21:56:45

tickingbird

Nice to see the good old EU showing their true, bullyboy colours. They’ve messed up and now banned exports of the Pfizer vaccine. Even though we have a contract with Pfizer. Disgraceful. No wonder we left and I, for one, am pleased we did.

Totally agree.......??????

biba70 Fri 29-Jan-21 21:49:16

over 75?