Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Jab on Tuesday!

(250 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 29-Jan-21 14:15:48

My surgery had told us to await their call and we would get vaccinated at the surgery.

But this morning I had a letter from the NHS telling me to book online, which I have done and will be going to a centre about 6 miles away on Tuesday. Through this method you also book your second one - they give you some date options and mine is April 21st.

I rang the surgery and they told me to grab the online one as they would not get around to me for a bit.

But another friend has had a message from their surgery for their adult disabled son and they are not doing the jabs themselves at the surgery but about 49 miles away! This is going to be a challenge for them.

There seems to be two systems running in parralel.

Luckygirl Fri 29-Jan-21 14:16:20

- or even parallel -

Kate1949 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:18:46

That's great Luckygirl. My husband had the letter and booked both yesterday. I've just posted on another thread that people are going onto that site and booking when they haven't been called. Pretty despicable.

Lucca Fri 29-Jan-21 14:23:01

Surely they can’t book if they are not eligible ?

Kate1949 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:28:08

We'll Lucca when my husband booked, it looked as though it could be easily done. Someone on another thread said they'd done it.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 14:32:07

I had mine at the surgery yesterday but I also had a letter to book one in the post yesterday just as I d already accepted the surgery one so I went there and was told to ignore the letter I think there are two systems going the Pfizer seems to come by post to a hub and the Oxford one a telephone call from the surgery
Well that’s how it’s working here

Kate1949 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:34:25

Can't wait to get mine!

Marydoll Fri 29-Jan-21 15:09:05

Greater Glasgow Health Board have issued a statement today, asking people not to turn up at vaccination centres, asking to be vaccinated without an appointment, as it is slowing the process down.
Anyone I know here in Glasgow has been given an appointment by letter, no going online and booking a slot.

Anyone doing this or going online to book without an invitation is totally selfish.

blondenana Fri 29-Jan-21 15:21:29

Just had mine this afternoon, lots of people there ,soon in and out, but 20 minutes to wait before you could leave
A few questions asked before jab, re are you a carer ,on blood thinners, any symptoms etc
Feeling fine, got a card with details of vaccine and leaflet re any side effects etc
I don't know anyone personally who has had any side effects

Luckygirl Fri 29-Jan-21 15:43:17

I do know a couple of people who have had side effects over and above a slight headache. They had a temperature and some nausea and sickness, but it only lasted a couple of days.

Kim19 Fri 29-Jan-21 15:49:24

I had Astra on Wednesday. Was asked if I was driving and, on answering no, was allowed to leave straight away.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 15:52:59

I didn’t have to wait after mine blondenanna the nurse said you don’t have to wait after the Oxford one so it was two in to two separate rooms jab and out and next two in
Apparently I was told this by a nurse and a pharmacist the side effects are felt by people with a good immune system a lot of older people haven’t got such a good natural immune system I had a totally crap day shivering and feeling flu like but after a couple of paracetamols felt much better

silverlining48 Fri 29-Jan-21 15:56:35

We got a text this afternoon, and its booked for Sunday. Was starting to wonder if i had been forgotten. Relieved and delighted.

Luckylegs Fri 29-Jan-21 16:01:02

We’ve been waiting patiently for our turn but I’ve got several underlying diseases and we were worried. Anyway a friend told us go onto a website to book our jabs. Obviously you had to be a certain age but you could book the very next morning, every five minutes all day, right through for weeks. We were nervous we shouldn’t be doing it but we were told clearly when there that letters have been delayed by some bureaucratic mistake (surprise!) and they were so glad that people were going as they were all standing there the day before but only 20 people turned up! They were mostly fire brigade personnel and were absolutely excellent. It was a fireman who did our vaccines and I’m a wimp but I honestly didn’t know he’d done it!

They warned about side effects and 12 hours after, I got an awful headache, freezing cold and aching limbs, and total fatigue. I slept all day yesterday with Paracetamol wearing off every four hours. I’ve got up this morning feeling almost back to normal. My H hasn’t had a single side effect.

For those who are saying how despicable it is, I think you’re wrong as they are desperate and are manned up for thousands of patients so we could have saved some vaccine being thrown away. It’s a shame they couldn’t go out and invite shoppers to come in and get vaccinated rather than the waste of manpower etc.

NanTheWiser Fri 29-Jan-21 16:30:24

I have just booked mine, even without an invitation letter. Provided you are eligible you can book through the NHS portal, giving your NHS number and DOB.

Due to postal delays the letter may take a while to arrive (my post has been very erratic for ages), as Luckylegs has mentioned.

My appointment is in a couple of weeks, as I wanted to choose day and time, but I could have had an earlier appointment had I not been so choosy.

Of course, I might get a phone call from my surgery in the meantime, so will wait and see.

Luckylegs Fri 29-Jan-21 16:33:16

Thanks for your post NanTheWiser. I am reassured that we are not the only ‘despicable’ people about.

Luckylegs Fri 29-Jan-21 16:36:07

I’m now worried because of all the news that Germany thinks the AstraZeneca jab only has 8% efficacy in over 65’s! Oh lummy, don’t say we’d have to have another one!

Kate1949 Fri 29-Jan-21 16:43:33

I apologise for using the word despicable. I did not realise you could do this. I was assuming ineligible people were doing so. I'm sorry if I was offensive.

janeainsworth Fri 29-Jan-21 17:12:11

Well I’m totally confused. Having been told you didn’t have to wait for a letter, I’ve just looked on the NHS website and it clearly says don’t book if you haven’t had a letter confused

EllanVannin Fri 29-Jan-21 17:16:56

I'm hoping my routine annual blood test will show up antibodies from the vaccination I had last week as I was rather concerned at not having had any side effects, which always tell me that it hasn't worked.

Kate1949 Fri 29-Jan-21 17:20:39

Jane That's why I'm confused. Every NHS site I've looked on, local pharmacy sites, vaccination centres who are doing it and our GP, say please don't book if you haven't been invited.

kittylester Fri 29-Jan-21 17:21:01

Here we can go on the Hospital Trusts's website if you are over 70 - pick your venue and book. The website kept freezing so I was going back and forth trying again. Them the post came with a letter offering DH a choice of venues. He has an appointment on Monday but could have got in on the next morning.

He is soooooo much older than I

janeainsworth Fri 29-Jan-21 17:30:56

Yes Kate. And if you follow that blue link in the screenshot it repeats the message that you can only book if you’ve had a letter.

Kate1949 Fri 29-Jan-21 17:37:55

Irs very confusing..My husband has had the letter with several choices of venue. He chose a local pharmacy. They didn't ask if he'd had the letter, just asked name etc, date of birth and NHS number.

B9exchange Fri 29-Jan-21 18:04:57

There has been a hold up in the delivery of the letters, the website won't let you book if you are not eligible, it will work it out using your NHS number and DoB. Scroll past the warning about waiting for a letter and book it. There are hundreds of slots going to waste because these letters haven't arrived yet, such a shame. I had a choice of over 50 locally for tomorrow!