Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What have you learned from this year?

(72 Posts)
ineedamum Mon 01-Feb-21 06:46:57

I've learned there are some incredible people, not just Captain Tom and Marcus Rashford but ordinary people who volunteer in food banks, kind neighbours etc.

On a selfish note, I love working from home, I'm not around selfish work colleagues who only care about themselves. No commute and less washing and ironing.

Tangerine Mon 01-Feb-21 10:45:52

Esspee - yes, some young people have behaved badly but I think there are plenty of young people who have been marvellous. Many of the people working in hospitals are young. There are young people everywhere doing the right thing and working hard for us all.

I have learnt never to take my freedom for granted. We all used to go out as we pleased and probably never gave it a thought.

buylocal Mon 01-Feb-21 10:50:02

Gwyneth

chazwin what a shame you had to spoil what is a lovely thread by politicising it. I was so enjoying reading what posters were saying until I came to yours. So what have I learned this year.....
That there are people who always have to put forward their political views no matter what and spoil it for other people.

While my political views are not necessarily the same as those of Chazwin, I would not bother with this website/forum if all the posts were sugar coated, inane, small talk. This year, I learned that wealthy footballers need to inform themselves about the complexities of an issue before shouting loud with over simple, sticking plaster solutions to glorify themselves. I brought up two well nourished children on benefits. The issues begin with educating parents about food - when Home Economics/Domestic Science in schools was abolished, a whole generation of new parents was deprived of this crucial part of life skills learning. Telling people 'you must eat 5 a day' does not cut it. Charity is an awful solution, it takes away people's dignity. Food banks should never have been allowed to become a normal part of our society - they started because of the obscene waste of supermarkets - that wasting needs to be addressed and everyone needs to have enough good food to eat - through solutions that enable people to keep their dignity. And as an aside, exactly how much of his fortune did Marcus Rashford donate?

timetogo2016 Mon 01-Feb-21 10:53:15

I could have written your thread maryrose54.

Peasblossom Mon 01-Feb-21 10:53:54

Ho imparato a palare Italiano.

I think?

NellG Mon 01-Feb-21 11:06:35

I have learned that people believe that what other people do with their money is their business - usually in direct proportion to how much money is involved...

I have also learned that there are times where a new thread, defining the poster's issue would be appropriate...

I have also learned that when something good happens, the people who it didn't not happen to often feel personally affronted and must therefore complain heartily about how they survived the same situation, as if not receiving help is a virtue...

I have learned that sometimes I should step away from the keyboard...

I have learned that opinions are like *holes, everyone has one, most are best kept to ourselves. Including mine.

I have learned I don't play by my own rules ;)

Tea3 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:12:12

‘Your health is your wealth’.

Lettice Mon 01-Feb-21 11:25:30

I have learned that I am naturally anti-social and have loved the non-contact with others, not having to accept those uninvited hugs, and banal conversations. I have learned that I can occupy my time delightfully with both hands and brain without outside interference. Obviously I am a selfish slob who can only do all this because of the kindness and magnanimity of all those who keep the real world turning and functioning in the best interests of all.

LuckyFour Mon 01-Feb-21 11:27:45

Chazwin, I think you are totally wrong. So many people think they can sit at home and talk about what the government should be doing. I hate the phrase "they should have done this or that". Hindsight etc. etc.

nipsmum Mon 01-Feb-21 11:27:50

I'm so sorry Loopyloo. I have 2 Westies both getting fairly old now and I am in tears just thinking about anything happening to either of them. They have been my constant and faithful companions especially all through lockdown.
Just going for a walk and passing the time of day with everyone I meet has kept me sane this past year.

HurdyGurdy Mon 01-Feb-21 11:29:01

Gwyneth

chazwin what a shame you had to spoil what is a lovely thread by politicising it. I was so enjoying reading what posters were saying until I came to yours. So what have I learned this year.....
That there are people who always have to put forward their political views no matter what and spoil it for other people.

You took the words right out of my mouth Gwyneth

4allweknow Mon 01-Feb-21 11:55:13

Espee I'm with you. Would add the dependency on visiting pubs, trawling streets in the early hours generally enabriated are two habits displayed generally by the young nit missed. Would add the same generation who moan they can't afford to live!

4allweknow Mon 01-Feb-21 12:01:12

Esspee Have to agree. Also add that the need to visit pubs until enabriated then trawl streets in the early hours to enjoy themselves doesn't do anything to favour the young generation. And, from a generation that moans they can't afford to live. Well they will have managed to save during lockdown. Do have great sympathy for those who have lost jobs though.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:06:30

I have learnt that you can do without a lot of things, things that were important aren’t anymore, it does make you think all the people struggling in the world,having more time to sit and think,I appreciate everything my husband does for me and thank my lucky stars although don’t have good health I am thankful for everything I have in life

Blossoming Mon 01-Feb-21 12:15:47

I have learned to value the good people in my life and not engage with the toxic ones. In some ways I already knew this, but the situation we find ourselves in has driven it home.

I have learned to value the community though sadly I can’t engage with it as much as I’d like during lockdown.

curlz Mon 01-Feb-21 12:16:42

I have learned that I don’t enjoy working in a public facing job because I don’t like the way a lot of the public ignore rules and guidelines, but I have to because I need the money lol . Also how much I miss hugging and kissing my children and grandchildren

Hejira Mon 01-Feb-21 12:24:48

I have learned to reach out and make contact with people I had lost contact with through arguments and less than amicable partings only to find that they were also longing to find a way to heal the breach. As terrible as Covid is, it has proved the perfect excuse to ask how someone is and how they are coping with life.

crazygranny Mon 01-Feb-21 12:35:02

This year I turned 70. My life insurance policy lasts until I am 78 which probably means that the insurance company thinks I will live to be 80 or so. So, I thought whilst celebrating my birthday, I have about 10 years left. Then from now I will make sure that every single day counts.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Feb-21 12:42:53

I’ve appreciated far more all the service people, bin men, post man, shop workers as well as the NHS, my GP surgery have been fantastic. Whoever keeps the IT infrastructure going when it’s constantly in use by so many more, what a good job. I miss friends, I’m pleased those who I thought were good friends are. I’ve learnt that unless I have a purpose I’m a lazy so and so, I’ve signed up for voluntary work when allowed.

moobox Mon 01-Feb-21 12:48:19

Sadly, I have learned that a perfect storm can get even worse. The year started with a cancer diagnosis for someone close to the family - what a time to get that in the middle of this Covid chaos

Washerwoman Mon 01-Feb-21 12:58:21

I have learnt which friends have been stoic,resourceful and accepted we all needed to play our part to keep this terrible virus at bay.
And the ones he either pretended they didn't 'get' the guidelines or blatantly ignored them because their adult DCs couldn't possibly stay in their tier 4 at Xmas,or it was ridiculous not to have people round for a meal because they'd hardly been anywhere.
I've learnt my neighbours are lovely and although we're a mixed bunch of ages, opinions and circumstances everyone has mucked in to help each other practically and emotionally.
And what I already knew.That DH is a very nice man to be locked down with as he's an optimist and kind.That I'm none too fussed about a social life with people I no longer respect.And that gardening and walking our dogs ,and watching wildlife makes me happy and calm.

Alexa Mon 01-Feb-21 13:30:29

Discretion is the better part of valour

Alexa Mon 01-Feb-21 13:31:58

Gosh, Lettice! Same here!

Bakingmad0203 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:42:47

I’m really enjoying this thread thank you ineedamum !
It’s very reassuring .
I have learnt that I love being outdoors even in the rain.
That weeks seem to go a lot faster when I am not busy rushing from one event to another..
Zoom, FaceTime and Teams have been a godsend.
Who my real friends are.
That I have a lovely family who support each other

Lexisgranny Mon 01-Feb-21 13:51:27

Like Washerwoman I have found that my husband is a great person with whom to share lockdown. We have found something to laugh about every day, and we have both shown our appreciation of each other. We also appreciate very much the family support we have received.

I have also some to realise that material things that I thought I
needed, I just didn’t, that it wasn’t the end of the world if I didn’t have my hair cut every six weeks.

That a very large number of people bend the Covidrules to apply to their own circumstances.

That people can rise to the occasion in troubled times.

That no matter how many zoom calls, Facetimes, emails, WhatsApp, phone calls, nothing can replace a good old fashioned hug.

NanaandGrampy Mon 01-Feb-21 14:00:33

I’ve learned that kindness from total strangers still exists .
That life is for living .
That time lost is truly lost .
That the majority of people want to do the right thing.
That celebrities don’t think the rules apply to them.
That my family is more precious to me than anything.