Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What have you learned from this year?

(72 Posts)
ineedamum Mon 01-Feb-21 06:46:57

I've learned there are some incredible people, not just Captain Tom and Marcus Rashford but ordinary people who volunteer in food banks, kind neighbours etc.

On a selfish note, I love working from home, I'm not around selfish work colleagues who only care about themselves. No commute and less washing and ironing.

Janiepops Mon 01-Feb-21 14:16:19

Esspee, Haha?, so true!

Gwyneth, Thankyou for saying that, so flipping true, ?

Buylocal, true,but, genuine question here.....isn’t it us,the buying public that cause the waste in supermarkets? By not buying the substandard goods, misshapen or soily veg? Back in the day,before self service, the shopkeeper would always put one substandard produce in your bag, one bruised apple, one split tomato, but now,we pick our own we pick perfect, so taken overall, the supermarkets take a MASSIVE hit with unbought produce. Am I naive here? Feel free to tell me .....???‍♀️

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:19:19

This only being 1st February I haven't had much time to learn anything much yet, except that there are still old fashioned consultants who are rude and who don't care whether their patients have a chance to ask questions or not.

This surprised me, as I thought that breed had died out.

If the question meant what we have learned during lockdown, then I am afraid the answer must be that there are a lot of very selfish people about who are not obeying the rules.

The lockdown hasn't really made a difference to us, as we were retired and living quietly before it started and had re-evaluated our lifestyle upon retirement.

Harmonypuss Mon 01-Feb-21 14:53:02

Gwyneth....

If you don't like people's political views do as I do.... Ignore them!

What I've learned this year is that some people have nothing better to do than to start ridiculous chat threads on social media.

Why does the world need to know that someone is so illiterate as far as online shopping goes as to have ordered 22 of something instead of 2? They're clearly stupid, so why tell the world about it? It serves them right if they can't be bothered to check their order before hitting the 'confirm' button.

Why do people feel the need to tell everyone that they're planning a meal with family members they see every few days, asking whether it's allowed? If they're seeing those people because they're in a bubble then just damn well do it, don't rub it in to all those who haven't seen their loved ones and can't, that's just bragging!

Larsonsmum Mon 01-Feb-21 16:11:33

At 63, and medically retired with numerous illnesses I have learned that it has been the best thing ever for my health - to be at home all the time.

I used to running around 24/7 - and a lot of it after others far more able than me - not any more.

My lifestyle has changed for ever, and I feel SO much better for it.

BBbevan Mon 01-Feb-21 16:23:04

That I have the internal recourses to manage on my own but also that DH and I have enjoyed just being together. We have had some good laughs .

JaneJudge Mon 01-Feb-21 16:28:05

Mine is incredibly shallow but I volunteer anyway prior to this but I have learned that if you are going to go out/go away make it worthwhile and something you will enjoy and with people you want to spend company with. The last time I went out (in all seriousness) was the 22nd February last year to see a comedian I LOVE but I booked a premier inn and I wished I'd have booked a really nice hotel and gone for a nice meal instead of some tapas in a pub! Told you it was shallow! grin I was with someone I love though. Told you it was shallow

JaneJudge Mon 01-Feb-21 16:28:42

god I have told you three time it is shallow so I must really think it is shallow and it must be shallow blush

Marydoll Mon 01-Feb-21 16:47:39

JaneJudge hindsight is a great thing! grin

hulahoop Mon 01-Feb-21 17:15:26

There is a lot of good people about .
That some ?? Celebrities are very selfish and stupid at times "
I am lucky to have a hubby who I can be with for long periods and can rely on .
I miss cuddles from family .

ginny Mon 01-Feb-21 17:20:24

I have learned many of the things already mentioned.
However on a different tack, I have learned a lot about my DH having spent so much time with him.
I’ve also learned that I don’t have to beat myself up because I ‘m not fond of my MIL and don’t particularly enjoy her company . Only taken me nearly 50 years.

Galaxy Mon 01-Feb-21 17:23:06

I have learnt that I need to say no more, that for a long time I have been going to activities that I really dont want to.

polnan Mon 01-Feb-21 18:09:18

reading some of these posts

and re considering..

I have learnt to be grateful, and thank God for what I have..

there are so many people much worse of than I am.

HurdyGurdy Mon 01-Feb-21 18:54:05

Harmonypuss - "What I've learned this year is that some people have nothing better to do than to start ridiculous chat threads on social media."

And some have nothing better to do that post snidey uncalled for comments on those threads.

Sawsage2 Mon 01-Feb-21 20:30:54

I've learnt that I like time on my own and not having to go anywhere, and not having anyone to come for meals etc. Not depressed just seeing life anew. ?

buylocal Mon 01-Feb-21 21:17:29

Janiepops

Esspee, Haha?, so true!

Gwyneth, Thankyou for saying that, so flipping true, ?

Buylocal, true,but, genuine question here.....isn’t it us,the buying public that cause the waste in supermarkets? By not buying the substandard goods, misshapen or soily veg? Back in the day,before self service, the shopkeeper would always put one substandard produce in your bag, one bruised apple, one split tomato, but now,we pick our own we pick perfect, so taken overall, the supermarkets take a MASSIVE hit with unbought produce. Am I naive here? Feel free to tell me .....???‍♀️

Yes, Janiepops, the buying public is partly to blame, but I also tire of hearing 'consumer demand' from big business as though they have no part in what the consumer is encouraged to 'demand'. Supermarkets make money by squeezing the life out of producers and that leads directly to things like the situation last year where the fruit farmers were wondering where on earth they would find fruit pickers when the pandemic restricted movements of the usual teams of Eastern Europeans. Thousands of Brits applied for those jobs, but when they saw the Ts and Cs they were offered, of course they declined. If farmers would/ could join together in not playing the Supermarkets' game, surely the SMs would have to change their strategy. I don't use supermarkets. And, I still spend less than the average family on food per week because I have zero waste.

Harmonypuss Tue 02-Feb-21 04:43:44

HurdyGurdy ....

Harmonypuss - "What I've learned this year is that some people have nothing better to do than to start ridiculous chat threads on social media."

And some have nothing better to do that post snidey uncalled for comments on those threads.

This particular thread wasn't the one I was bitching about and I didn't post 'on' those that I mentioned, they're just a pointless waste of time, no better than someone photographing every item of food they eat and displaying pics on social media...why? Who wants to know what someone has had to eat? They've clearly got such empty lives they don't have anything better to do!

JaneJudge Wed 03-Feb-21 12:37:11

Maybe people are just lonely? I work for a charity that supports people who are struggling and even before covid, loneliness was a huge problem in this country. It was something we were told to identify so that we could intervene and help those we were supporting have other avenues for interests and company. It's worth considering people behave in ways that aren't familiar to you because they are isolated or even unhappy. At the moment that must apply to many more people now we are staying at home and in some cases frightened.

LCoy Thu 04-Feb-21 10:14:51

I can live with very less. Fewer things, fewer outings and fewer people(came as a surprise!).

MayBee70 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:26:19

That I agree totally with chase in. But am surprised that several people have come down heavy on his/her comments but not many on buylocals. I’ve learned that it’s incredibly easy to gaslight people. And that really frightens me.

aprilrose Wed 24-Feb-21 08:46:57

My, I am so glad so many have had positive experiences. All I have learned in the last year is how easily and how quickly some people were turned into proper N a z i's. They havent stopped yet.

Kim19 Wed 24-Feb-21 09:10:50

I have had it reinforced that the simple life I lead included those really important to me and was all I ever needed. I look forward to its imminent return. Being alone has not been all bad but choice company is king.