Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Delayed reaction to vaccine

(37 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 04-Feb-21 19:16:21

Thank you Jane.

Outofstepwithhumanity Thu 04-Feb-21 19:11:05

I had the Pfizer vaccine on Tuesday, I had a headache about two hours later& couldn’t stay awake for most of the following day. By the evening, I was back to normal & feel fine today.

M0nica Thu 04-Feb-21 19:06:34

DH had Oxford jabs back in July/August as he was one of the Phase 3 trial participants. He felt very unwell for several days after the first vaccination, although not after the secod. We have had it confirmed that he received the vaccine and not the placebo.

I had the Pfizer jab. Within minutes, I couldn't even see the injection site and I have had absolutely no reaction of any kind to the vaccine

janeainsworth Thu 04-Feb-21 18:29:43

Dragonfly
You might be interested in this m.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJOQzrspFI&feature=youtu.be

It’s a recording of a webinar which Prof Tim Spector of Kings College & Dr Anna Goodman of UCL gave yesterday, discussing what we know so far about the vaccines. Side effects were one of the questions they dealt with.

Hellogirl1 Thu 04-Feb-21 18:29:09

I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine on Monday, so four datys ago, and was counting myself lucky not to have suffered any side effects till I read that it can take a few days. My daughter had the same one yesterday and started being really poorly last night, terrible aches and pains and shivering with cold, then this morning she started with the worst headache she`s ever had. My son had the Pfizer one today, we`ll see how he goes on.

LucyLocket55 Thu 04-Feb-21 18:21:57

Had the Pfizer vaccine last Saturday, my arm was a bit sore for 24/48 hours afterwards but nothing that paracetamol couldn’t cope with. The organisation at the vaccine centre was nothing short of superb.

Riverwalk Thu 04-Feb-21 18:18:52

I had the Pfizer vaccine two weeks ago, with no after effects. I expect everyone is different.

It's difficult to know if flu-like symptoms 5 days after a vaccination are related.

JaneJudge Thu 04-Feb-21 18:16:07

My Mum had a bad headache and then a cold, she doesn't know if it was vaccine related or not smile just do as you would do normally if you had a flu, take something to bring a temperature down, drink lots of fluids and rest. I hope you feel better soon

HurdyGurdy Thu 04-Feb-21 18:12:59

I, along with several colleagues, had the AstraZeneca (Oxford) vaccine first dose last weekend. Three of my colleagues have had two days off work due to the side effects - headaches, fluey symptoms, rashes, whereas I am only had a slight ache on my arm at the site the vaccine was delivered.

I feel very fortunate not to have experienced unpleasant side effects, and as it's now been four days since I had mine, I assume I am going to avoid them.

None of my colleagues have reported delayed symptoms so far.

NellG Thu 04-Feb-21 18:09:24

My understanding of how vaccines work makes me think that either your immune response to the vaccine has kicked in and it's all working as it should be, or you've picked up another random virus and are having mild symptoms. It's fairly normal to feel like that after having vaccines for flu/flu like illnesses.

ayse Thu 04-Feb-21 18:05:16

On another chat type website in the UK there are lots of people talking about similar side effects and some who have felt that have full blown flu. Just like the virus, I suspect that reactions to the vaccine will differ from person to person.

As an aside, I would much prefer the AZ vaccine although I’d rather not have either but needs must. I’m afraid to use public transport unless absolutely necessary and keep within the guidelines. DH has not been so careful and is recovering from COVID-19. I have to travel a distance to see 2 of my 3 DDs so when it’s allowed they are the top priority for me. Happy to have any side effects rather than the virus.

dragonfly46 Thu 04-Feb-21 17:56:09

I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine with no reaction until 5 days later when I had vague flue symptoms. Has anyone else had this?