Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

South Africa has paused the rollout of the AZ vaccine

(91 Posts)
suziewoozie Mon 08-Feb-21 12:13:17

Good idea to start this topic again. This is my understanding of what is going on and the implications for us
1. 90% of new cases in SA are the SA variant
2. Research carried out there in conjunction with Oxford has found disappointing results with AZ with only minimal protection being offered against mild and moderate disease.
3. The study subjects were young ( 40 and under) and so very unlikely to become severely ill and be hospitalised
4. As there is no evidence as yet about the efficacy of AZ re the SA variant they are going to use J and J and Pfizer instead until more data is available
5. AZ are working on a booster jab hopefully available here in the autumn which will be more effective give against tge SA variant
6. Tracking down SA variant cases here is clearly very important
7. So is stopping more cases coming in
8. Whatever vaccine we’ve had we should carry on as though we haven’t had any vaccine

MayBee70 Wed 10-Feb-21 21:42:18

All I can say to EllanVanin who doesn't want a second vaccine and goes to local shops without a mask is what would have happened if people had refused to have the smallpox, polio vaccines etc.

BlueSky Wed 10-Feb-21 17:58:10

I see Suzie thanks!

Blossoming Wed 10-Feb-21 17:55:41

*EllanVanin” Please may I ask which Covid vaccine did you have, and did you have any side effects?

Apologies if you’ve already given this info, but I can’t see it anywhere in the thread.

Hetty58 Wed 10-Feb-21 17:48:36

As for the rest of us, we need to consider the very serious risk involved in remaining unvaccinated. I'm happy to have whatever jab is going - asap!

Hetty58 Wed 10-Feb-21 17:44:38

EllanVannin, the deaths in Norway were of the very elderly, frail and seriously ill - those who really shouldn't have been given the vaccine anyway.

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 17:38:30

Delete ‘you’ <sigh > must preview

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 17:37:46

BlueSky

That’s right Suzie. Wonder whether all the countries in Europe will now recommend this vaccine for the over 60s?

Some already did you in the furst place the EMA authorised it for all adults. I think it will depend on why they made the decision they did ie less risk averse. The WHO has no new evidence, it’s just done an assessment based on the evidence everyone has already coupled with theory based inferences.

BlueSky Wed 10-Feb-21 17:20:51

That’s right Suzie. Wonder whether all the countries in Europe will now recommend this vaccine for the over 60s?

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 17:00:31

Right not tight <sigh>

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 16:59:50

I think what I was obliquely trying to say is that no one should be feeling smug or superior atm because their country made a decision that turned out to be tight ( or right atm). Re SA the variant there is the huge majority of new cases and so I can understand why they were more cautious. Decisions have contexts

BlueSky Wed 10-Feb-21 16:58:25

Really pleased with these news! I can now reassure my French and Italian friends who were concerned about me having the Oxford AZ! smile

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 16:55:26

Alegrias1

The WHO Chief Scientist said almost exactly that Suziewoozie. You're not her are you? ?

She said that there is so much information coming to light all the time and we're all going to have to be patient as things change.

No but she has me on speed dial ???

Alegrias1 Wed 10-Feb-21 16:50:41

The WHO Chief Scientist said almost exactly that Suziewoozie. You're not her are you? ?

She said that there is so much information coming to light all the time and we're all going to have to be patient as things change.

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 16:46:50

It’s hard for countries having to make decisions like this isn’t? Because of the (understandable) speed at which the whole vaccine development has gone, there is a constant stream of new research findings and govts have to decide at what stage with the evidence they have it is right to make a decision. Some will be more risk averse than others and want more evidence. I know that theoretical understanding plays a role in decision making in evaluating evidence but some seem to be happier to do this than others.

Jaxjacky Wed 10-Feb-21 16:34:24

Alegrias1 thank you, as soon as one of my children can come round, I’ll be better trained in links.

Alegrias1 Wed 10-Feb-21 16:31:43

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56011981

I've having a day of posting links.... WHO say there is no reason to halt the use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine in South Africa. And throw in that spacing out the doses of the vaccine make it more effective, as suziewoozie said.

"There is no reason not to recommend its use even in countries that have circulation of the variant," said Dr Alejandro Cravioto, the chairman of WHO's Sage.

Alegrias1 Wed 10-Feb-21 15:50:57

I've seen something similar suziewoozie ?

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 15:48:24

I haven’t opened the link but haven’t WHO also said the 12 week gap should be accepted now for AZ and that if probably is not just as good as a shorter gap but better? I must admit that’s cheered me up and I hope we get some similar news about Pfizer soon.

Alegrias1 Wed 10-Feb-21 15:44:29

news.sky.com/story/oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-recommended-for-all-adults-say-scientists-advising-the-world-health-organisation-12214373

Here it is Jaxjacky smile

Jaxjacky Wed 10-Feb-21 15:39:53

WHO have just announced AstraZenica is suitable for all ages, no link sorry, Sky news.

MayBee70 Wed 10-Feb-21 15:16:42

Maybe there are people out to get the Oxford vaccine because it’s non profit making?

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 11:01:40

BlueSky

I’m annoyed how this piece of news has been reported in the foreign press. I’ve friends in France and Italy who now believe the Oxford AZ is virtually useless, with some conceding that it’s OK for the under ‘60s, but just as effective as a Lemsip for the others. They are concerned when I say that’s what I had and have every confidence in it. Well if they don’t want it, there’ll be more for us!

I was pretty annoyed how it was reported in the domestic press quite frankly - why are you blaming the foreign press? You think we have world beating science journalism in this country ? ?????

BlueSky Wed 10-Feb-21 10:48:33

I’m annoyed how this piece of news has been reported in the foreign press. I’ve friends in France and Italy who now believe the Oxford AZ is virtually useless, with some conceding that it’s OK for the under ‘60s, but just as effective as a Lemsip for the others. They are concerned when I say that’s what I had and have every confidence in it. Well if they don’t want it, there’ll be more for us!

Franbern Tue 09-Feb-21 15:05:03

timetogo16 - I know that making things up and then saying they are facts was used for four years on countless occasions by the USA President, and is also used by UK politicians. However, before you write such total untruths on here, and try to get people to think of them as truth - please show where you are getting this from. Or is it the same place that those talking about microchips in vaccines, and plandemics get their information???

suziewoozie Tue 09-Feb-21 14:53:47

BlueSky

That’s interesting Suzie I wouldn’t have thought the the two vaccines were compatible to be given together but they must know different. I’ll be grateful for whatever they come up with.

Well the research will hopefully find that out. The other thing about the research is that it has global significance and if mixing doses work, it will help across the world when there are shortages and delays in getting a 2nd dose that matches. One of the things that has shone out with the vaccine development is a reminder of the international nature of medical science and the sharing of research and knowledge